Jump to content
Mokei Kagaku

VQS (2020) in Tamiya's pipeline.

Recommended Posts

Nice to see another in-demand classic come back. I'm not a massive fan of the buggy myself as in standard form it's the ugly duckling of the Avante series IMO. It looks best when like the example below, sitting on an Avante chassis with Hi-Cap-type dampers fitted, so at the very l least I will buy the body parts and the Hi-Caps. If the kit price is around the £300 mark then you can count me out of that though. Good to see that the re-re programme hasn't completely ground to a halt, even if it's been just trudging along for a few years now.

 

IMG_0609.JPG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gut instinct tells me it's a plastic tub. Why else would they call it a Vanquish and not an Avante 2001 then?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope it's a plastic chassis.  What worries me is the pricing.  If market price gets into the $300 plus territory for this I'd be hard pressed to justify ordering more than one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking £200 is going to be overpriced nevermind £300 because after all it's all plastic it was originally the cheap version of the avante family of buggies!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Classic Tamiya, hurting for cash because of the coronavirus so release a car that's never been rereleased and charge a lot more than it's worth :ph34r: They're looking to come out like bandits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I shouldn't have read this thread.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

Classic Tamiya, hurting for cash because of the coronavirus so release a car that's never been rereleased and charge a lot more than it's worth :ph34r: They're looking to come out like bandits. 

And let them! They will sell. And I'll buy one! 

Now if only they'd turn back on the DB01RRR line and/or the TRF503 as well!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, GTodd said:

And let them! They will sell. And I'll buy one! 

Now if only they'd turn back on the DB01RRR like and/or the TRF503 as well!

For what though? I added a bunch this year and then realized, sitting on the shelf collecting dust is good for what ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Than don't buy one! I drive all of.my cars with my kids. It awesome good fun, and building them keeps me from feeling sleep.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, GTodd said:

Than don't buy one! I drive all of.my cars with my kids. It awesome good fun, and building them keeps me from feeling sleep.

😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, moffman said:

I'm thinking £200 is going to be overpriced nevermind £300 because after all it's all plastic it was originally the cheap version of the avante family of buggies!

Yeah, £200 is the max amount that this kit is worth. £300 though? No chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wandy said:

Yeah, £200 is the max amount that this kit is worth. £300 though? No chance.

If the prices for the Avante and VQS stated by the normally very reliable Swiss Tamiya distributor are used to estimate the price for the VQS in GB, it will rather be around £400 if the £469 for the Avante at Modelsport.co.uk is representative for what the Avante retails for in GB.

In other words, I can't possibly imagine that Tamiya has kept the austere spec of the original Vanquish;

  • CVA's? Yes, probably as Hi-Caps will be offered as a hop-up (47445 VQS (2020) Hi-Cap Damper Set).
  • Full ball bearings? Probably, but that alone wouldn't even remotely justify the price?
  • FRP chassis? Maybe. That would add significantly to the value, but for Tamiya possibly be cheaper than reviving the old tools or even retooling the plastic chassis.
  • Under Tray? Maybe, but that's pennies.
  • Ball diffs? Probably not as it would put the spec of the VQS above the spec of the Avante.
  • Commerative motor? Maybe.
  • Something else?
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

Ball diffs? Probably not as it would put the spec of the VQS above the spec of the Avante.

They had no problem doing that on that Truck aberration though

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pricing this kit above $259 or so will be extremely disappointing.  Pricing it at or around $400 will be a total insult to their customers.  I'm not sure the Vanquish has the same vintage reputation/demand of kits like the buggy champ, avante, etc to earn a $400 price tag.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

If the prices for the Avante and VQS stated by the normally very reliable Swiss Tamiya distributor are used to estimate the price for the VQS in GB, it will rather be around £400 if the £469 for the Avante at Modelsport.co.uk is representative for what the Avante retails for in GB.

In other words, I can't possibly imagine that Tamiya has kept the austere spec of the original Vanquish;

  • CVA's? Yes, probably as Hi-Caps will be offered as a hop-up (47445 VQS (2020) Hi-Cap Damper Set).
  • Full ball bearings? Probably, but that alone wouldn't even remotely justify the price?
  • FRP chassis? Maybe. That would add significantly to the value, but for Tamiya possibly be cheaper than reviving the old tools or even retooling the plastic chassis.
  • Under Tray? Maybe, but that's pennies.
  • Ball diffs? Probably not as it would put the spec of the VQS above the spec of the Avante.
  • Commerative motor? Maybe.
  • Something else?

Blister pack packaging???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

A set of bonus parts different colour wheels?

You nailed it !
...plus pink tires from the JW Hornet and a extra kumamon driving figure:wacko:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

A set of bonus parts different colour wheels?

Six different wings, or more!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Around £400?! Ouch, that's more than the Egress was for some time. Seems a bit steep, but let's wait and see. That's a lot of cash for extra coloured wheels or wings! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Howards said:

They had no problem doing that on that Truck aberration though

Valid point, no question, but the Vajra doesn't have the 30+ years history as the "budget level" alternative to the Avante.

Maybe it's only my subjective opinion, but despite all its flaws and all the improvementss made on later models in the Avante series, the Avante is a hallmark in Tamiya's history (the buggy interpretation of the Can Am Lola)  with its choice of materials and its complexity (and flawed over engineering). I don't think its appropriate to position the once significantly cheaper and lower spec Vanquish above the Avante in terms of technical specification. Simply put, the original hierarchy should remain.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, taffer said:

Blister pack packaging???

Would be nice, but I dearly hope for a bit more than that! 200GBP "worth" of blister packaging? No, thank you! :P

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

Valid point, no question, but the Vajra doesn't have the 30+ years history as the "budget level" alternative to the Avante.

Maybe it's only my subjective opinion, but despite all its flaws and all the improvementss made on later models in the Avante series, the Avante is a hallmark in Tamiya's history (the buggy interpretation of the Can Am Lola)  with its choice of materials and its complexity (and flawed over engineering). I don't think its appropriate to position the once significantly cheaper and lower spec Vanquish above the Avante in terms of technical specification. Simply put, the original hierarchy should remain.

Nothing to add! So true. I really think prices of the dealers will be between Avante and Terra Scorcher. For my feeling it will have all parts of the Avnte drive train and the better uprights, so this increases the price over the Terra Scorcher, but it will remain it´s plastics specs, which define sthe Vanquish. It made this platform available to me as a kid, as my parents were o.k. with the price of the Vanquish 1989, Avante was just too much.

For me feeling, the Swiss price isn´t true, it just doesn´t fit in the picture. (at least I hope it).:D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

Classic Tamiya, hurting for cash because of the coronavirus so release a car that's never been rereleased and charge a lot more than it's worth :ph34r: They're looking to come out like bandits. 

The vanquish rere was mentioned by the new Zealand distributor back in December last year. The pricing may be corona related, but this rere was planned before all this kicked off.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2020 at 12:49 PM, A-Baum said:

Interesting. not sure I've seen a 4wd model where the front tires were skinnier than the rear tires.  

All current 4WD models have narrow front tyres. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...