Mokei Kagaku

VQS (2020) in Tamiya's pipeline.

Ahh - I think I get what you mean now. You want to use the Avante body but fix it to the Vanquish shell with the original head and screw?

So that way you dont have to fabricate the styrene chair pieces? Let me go check.

• Like 2

Yes it should work - you will have gaps at the front though where the cockpit goes to a point. You could cut a black pirce of card to sit under here though.

20201205_085734.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Yes it should work - you will have gaps at the front though where the cockpit goes to a point. You could cut a black pirce of card to sit under here though.

20201205_085734.jpg

No worries, when the body is on, the gap will show black chassis so it’ll blend it in. Thanks !

Very nice!. I’m still waiting for mine. I think there is 2 things that let the vanquish down slightly in terms of it looking as classy as bangs and egress . The driver figure and the yellow shocks. I’m contemplating using a light window tint on mine but not sure if it will show against the black body OR putting an Avante driver in. 
 I’m also thinking about pink wheels like the black special. 
I have all black alloy brushless electrics too so tossing up between those and my modern cpr unit . 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 3:16 PM, rwordenjr said:

No worries, when the body is on, the gap will show black chassis so it’ll blend it in. Thanks !

Could do with creating a second dashboard dials assembly to fill the gap that would look cool 

Thanks guys!

I think the fuller driver figure makes a big difference! Also i gave the cockpit a couple of very light passes with smoke paint too.

But I definitely think the biggest improvement though is the high caps compared to the yellow CVAs which tend to make it look a bit toyish. It definitely holds its own now next to the avante and egress i reckon.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, xray mark said:

Could do with creating a second dashboard dials assembly to fill the gap that would look cool 

Boost guage pods

• Like 1

A good alternative after fiddling with the Avante cockpit was the Ferrari 312T3 Cockpit (Tamiya - 9004107), which I used in my Vanqish in combination with the original Evert head. Just made an extension in the front to glue with tape inside the body. For even better looks, I made side boards and a backplate from Polystyrol rests. Quite fast, and definetely fits like it was made for the Vanquish in my eyes:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Still have to paint it, which will be fun, but I think you get the look. The 2 holes I left unfilled, maybe there will be some LED´s as rev lights or something. Not sure yet...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Superluminal said:

Yes!!!! That looks awesome. Probably a bit more clearance for the servo underneath too.

I made a small cutout underneath fr the linking rod. But in the end with my servo built from the lower side into the topdeck, it was hardly needed.;)

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 12/7/2020 at 11:16 PM, Superluminal said:

FIN

20201207_220035.jpg

20201207_220257.jpg

That looks really superb! I like the cockpit sticker now: So both silvers are equal now! on my Vintage boxart shell the silver paint never relly matched the silver stickers at the sides. This way it looks much more harmonic!:)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

@ruebiracer, did you borrow my original blue Vanquish body? It looks just like the one I painted in the 80's,lol

Mine was Terra Scorcher blue, too! I wanted to replicate it with the PS paint, but it could be a slight bit darker!:huh:

But here a some pics I took back in the days:spacer.pngspacer.png

So, there are much more fancy colors in which it looks superb, but I had no choice, nostalgia hit me hard...

• Like 3

Shell suit and vanquish! My man . Brings a tear to my eye!, what was on your headphones those days? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, xray mark said:

Shell suit and vanquish! My man . Brings a tear to my eye!, what was on your headphones those days? 

Style crimes of the eighties Mark! :ph34r: But on my walkman was already my all time favorite band from the midlands, Magnum´s "On a storytellers night", which I copied to tape from my best buddy.;) Great times with my best friends running our Tamiyas, will never forget these days. We were so lucky...

• Like 1

@Saito2: Guess it´s time for a new deep analyze thread from you: Is the love to Tamiya "B-class" underdog race cars linked to music artists from the "second row"?:lol: Or in short: What music is Tamiya!:rolleyes:

Just joking, you really started some interesting threads, which are fun to read everyones interpretations...

Kind regards,

Matthias

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ruebiracer said:

Mine was Terra Scorcher blue, too! I wanted to replicate it with the PS paint, but it could be a slight bit darker!:huh:

But here a some pics I took back in the days:spacer.pngspacer.png

So, there are much more fancy colors in which it looks superb, but I had no choice, nostalgia hit me hard...

I can tell from the Shell Suit jacket 😂

It ok we all wore them 👍🏻

• Haha 1

Wow, can't believe the efforts you guys put into your driver figures. They look amazing and I really appreciate the effort that has gone into them. 

You'll be horrified to know that I just throw my driver bits in the bin. Never fitted them in any of by buggies ever! Not once in 40 yrs of building Tamiya. Over 150 cars built and every driver sprue binned....... LOL

I just spray cockpit glass black or smoke and do away with driver as they are heavy. Why bother trying to reduce weight with LiPos, lighter ESC's or Servos etc and then stuff a heavy (especially when painted) driver in there? Easier to clean shell if no driver too. 

I must be odd as I seem to be in the minority here with my attitude. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, mud4fun said:

Wow, can't believe the efforts you guys put into your driver figures. They look amazing and I really appreciate the effort that has gone into them. 

You'll be horrified to know that I just throw my driver bits in the bin. Never fitted them in any of by buggies ever! Not once in 40 yrs of building Tamiya. Over 150 cars built and every driver sprue binned....... LOL

I just spray cockpit glass black or smoke and do away with driver as they are heavy. Why bother trying to reduce weight with LiPos, lighter ESC's or Servos etc and then stuff a heavy (especially when painted) driver in there? Easier to clean shell if no driver too. 

I must be odd as I seem to be in the minority here with my attitude. :lol:

I also don’t care about the driver figures and have been known to bin them too in the past. 

• Sad 3

Here's some pics from my end @ruebiracer

20201209_192603 (2) 20201209_192833 (2)

The first pic is vintage action shot from BITD. Driving and shooting with my mom's old Kodak Instamatic camera is just as challenging as the drive-and-shoot pics I do today with the camera phone (only you had to wait a week for development to see what level of failure I'd hit, lol) The second is how she sits today, dusty and awaiting a proper restoration. The Avante wheels are original spares I tracked down in the late 80's. I wanted my Vanquish to very much like the Avante back then ,hence the blue paint. Too bad the LHS didn't carry Tamiya PS paints back then, only Pactra. I never did pick up the re-re. It was too much considering it being Christmas time (family always comes first ) and the big insurance hike at my job. My original getting the resto treatment will probably mean more to me too in the end which is cool. 

1 hour ago, mud4fun said:

I just spray cockpit glass black or smoke and do away with driver as they are heavy.

I did the same as you can see. My reasoning was aesthetics though. I hated how the Vanquish driver was clearly only a head and shoulders so I blacked out the windows

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

That looks sweet with the avante wheels.

Thanks. It also had Kyosho black shocks on it with a homemade extended front tower at one time. I wanted Kyosho gold shocks but they were too pricey for my limited budget back then and Hicaps were just a elusive in those days as they seem to be for me today, lol. The original plan was to get the re-re and build it up boxart and take my original and build it up like I would have wanted to BITD. Tamiya's rerelease of the VQS Hicaps lacked the front tower extension this time around so I kinda lost interest in them. I'm gathering parts to restore my original to boxart and the old blue shell will finally get retired.

• Like 1