Mokei Kagaku

VQS (2020) in Tamiya's pipeline.

3 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Thanks. It also had Kyosho black shocks on it with a homemade extended front tower at one time. I wanted Kyosho gold shocks but they were too pricey for my limited budget back then and Hicaps were just a elusive in those days as they seem to be for me today, lol. The original plan was to get the re-re and build it up boxart and take my original and build it up like I would have wanted to BITD. Tamiya's rerelease of the VQS Hicaps lacked the front tower extension this time around so I kinda lost interest in them. I'm gathering parts to restore my original to boxart and the old blue shell will finally get retired.

Very nice pics! I only have few pics of our RC time, and mine was shot during summer vaccation in Austria by my Dad. So much sharper than some othe rpics I took with a very cheap pocket cam. As you say, getting the film ready and the pics after 2-3 weeks and see that the photo wasn´t sharp.:lol:

We all wanted the Avante wheels back then, so cool with the quick release. I also still don´t have the VQS, but I plan to get it in the end for spare parts. Probably I will slaughter the kit, keep some spares for my restored runner (fresh plastics), and shell and front shock tower will move to my shelfer, which I restored from my best leftover parts. Also managed to get the last new Vanquish chassis at Tamico 2011. A bit of a sacrifice to slaughter such a nice kit, but for sure there will be no "VQS" on my shell.(Thanks to MCI)

Actually, I got in the end the Vintage Hicaps for mine back then, I think in the mountain shot they were already on. Fabulous dampers. In my old magazines, they got equal or even better ratings as the Kyosho golds. And restoring them was fun. Still prefer them over the rerelease ones because of the better bladders, but rere´s are o.k. for the money!

Kind regards,

Matthias

P.S.: My well thought out plan to wait for the VQS in this years Tamico christmas calender seems a bad idea, because Tamico raised the prices of VQS and Avante! Ouch!:wacko: Maybe I have to accept Seidels 289€ is already a good price for it.:lol:

• Like 1

I'm having a hard time deciding on a decent direction to take for the motor in my  VQS runner.

I have at my disposal both brushed and brushless options.

I'm leaning towards brushless, so I am wondering what others have done that is suitable for the stock gearing?

13 minutes ago, _Simple_ said:

I'm having a hard time deciding on a decent direction to take for the motor in my  VQS runner.

I have at my disposal both brushed and brushless options.

I'm leaning towards brushless, so I am wondering what others have done that is suitable for the stock gearing?

I have not tried it personally yet but those gear diffs and the Avante drivetrain look pretty darn bullet proof to me 

I’m in the same boat . I have all Black alloy electrics which would

look great in the vanquish but I also have a modern cpr unit which gives a very clean installation 

this alao

got me thinking. The vqs has a gaping hole where the second servo was. I’m pretty sure this could house the speed controller if you are not running one that gets hot. I only received   my kit about an hour ago so am looking into all this myself but over the moon with the kit!.  Vqs shocks waiting to go on. Just deciding about the driver. Might try an Avante driver as others have done  

8BFB4AA7-DDD9-4E8C-B803-28A017A5A3D1.jpeg

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Did you get a driver with arms?

I did! I am going to attempt to make a simple bracket so the driver can be located about an inch further forwards and fill the cockpit . 
 I have a few ideas at the moment.. I am starting a vajra conversion on egress chassis plates. eBay I need to know is how does the vanquish shell mount to the carbon chassis set? I believe the stock way is the mount is part of the shock tower which I will not have? I believe Velcro is out the window unless vqs matches egress undertray 

anyone!.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xray mark said:

I did! I am going to attempt to make a simple bracket so the driver can be located about an inch further forwards and fill the cockpit . 
 I have a few ideas at the moment.. I am starting a vajra conversion on egress chassis plates. eBay I need to know is how does the vanquish shell mount to the carbon chassis set? I believe the stock way is the mount is part of the shock tower which I will not have? I believe Velcro is out the window unless vqs matches egress undertray 

anyone!.  

Egress undertray  does not fit theVanquish body, the Egress tray is too wide,

you need a Avante 2001 tray from TBG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Snappy1 said:

Egress undertray  does not fit theVanquish body, the Egress tray is too wide,

you need a Avante 2001 tray from TBG

Ah ok. I can try 2001 undertray on vqs shell but I expect it’s the same?. 

By the way I found my answer about vqs shell mount . It uses a special front b8 hinge pin holder bracket with built in bodypost. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xray mark said:

Ah ok. I can try 2001 undertray on vqs shell but I expect it’s the same?. 

No, the 2001 fits

7 hours ago, Snappy1 said:

No, the 2001 fits

The 2001 uses the original Vanquish optional undertray, just with a different cut line. So you have to decide, wether you want to use it for 2001 or VQS/Vanquish.

Whats the optional Vanquish undertray for? Is it just additional protection for the plastic tub or for using with the carbon chassis plates chassis?

4 minutes ago, ruebiracer said:

The 2001 uses the original Vanquish optional undertray, just with a different cut line. So you have to decide, wether you want to use it for 2001 or VQS/Vanquish.

But surely if I leave the sides of the undertray long they will tuck up inside the vqs shell? Or am I missing something ?  I was hoping to use both vqs and 2001 shells but yo be fair it’s mostly good display so undertray Is not crucial  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xray mark said:

But surely if I leave the sides of the undertray long they will tuck up inside the vqs shell? Or am I missing something ?  I was hoping to use both vqs and 2001 shells but yo be fair it’s mostly good display so undertray Is not crucial  

If you take the long cutouts, it´s fitting to the Vanquish, yes. But then it´s not possible to fit the 2001 shell correctly.

But as you say, for display you just can leave off the undertray, maybe.

Thought I’d drop by and post my progress 

this is a mix of 3 kits to make a fully hopped up vqs 

vajra base. 
egress carbon

vqs/ vanquish 2 gear diff and centre ball diff set up 

trying to decide what colour wheels to go with . Pink Ot white or black , but pink think. I have a modern cpr unit and choice of Avante bs motor or bz or gt tuned motor . 
I think I will

mount the wing in front of the tower as it’s very far back . Shell sits high too. Will need to cut a black undertray with high sides . 
I can also used this chassis for 2001 set up so I’m very happy with it . 

FB718B68-36D4-4E09-931D-6334D157EBFE.jpeg

• Like 3

Has anyone ever attempted to rit dye the lightweight rims with any success ?

My initial thoughts would have been no as they feel closer to abs/ polystyrene than the nylon wheels which can be.

But then I would have been wrong it seems;

The plastic bushings included for the front transmission that are 6 (OD) x2 (ID) mm, what is their width? 

Are they 2.5mm or 2mm wide? 

I'd like to order some spare  ball bearings and I seem to have misplaced my notes:unsure:......

I have made a few changes with my vqs so thought I would drop in 

I changed the idea of egress plates and I made the vqs on vajra / long Avante plates with carbon copies of the vqs shock towers mounted on Avante 2011 mounts 

it is looking good so far. I am just trying the best way to fit my driver as it certainly looks better further forward filling the cockpit 

I will them fit vqs hi caps and wheels and gt tuned motor and call it done 

5A09822A-8BF8-4196-8100-EDB957EDA8AB.jpeg

• Like 3

Almost finished. There are so many possible combinations of Avante parts that it’s mind boggling. 
 I like the finished car but I think the egress plates Wos be more in line with a vintage full option vanquish 

I shave also meant that vqs is an excellent kit to use to make a replica 2001. Just buy full frp set and dye the shocks black. That will be my next project I think . 

E50F0395-AF00-4721-A18C-00F6344FE31F.jpeg

• Like 3

Some spare parts have come into stock over at Tamico, so I bought some part trees and wheels as they might come in handy. Picked up an Avante torque splitter and Avante racing steering set as well because I seem to have read something about someone using them on their VQS builds. That might've been a pipe dream though.

Avoided a terrible mishap when it hit me that the german word for the body shell is karosserie, and quickly deleted the tree chassis I had placed in the shopping cart. Hopefully they'll get some unpainted shells in the future.