Jump to content
Mokei Kagaku

VQS (2020) in Tamiya's pipeline.

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, moffman said:

Bit over priced me thinks?🤔 and I'm not a fan of a pre-painted body With a kit because I like to do a different colour or just a slight twist on the original box art! I'm gona pass on this one and fingers crossed on a Optima mid re-release!!!

Optima mid will be $450 or so.  Darn this hobby!!  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, A-Baum said:

Optima mid will be $450 or so.  Darn this hobby!!  

Atleast you will get aluminum parts, upgraded drivetrain with a slipper

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A-Baum said:

Optima mid will be $450 or so.  Darn this hobby!!  

Where did you get this price? The Turbo Optima is $360. I doubt the mid will be that big of a price difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Biz73 said:

Where did you get this price? The Turbo Optima is $360. I doubt the mid will be that big of a price difference.

Just the pessimist in me making a completely unfounded statement.  Seems the Kyosho re-res are quite expensive, but as mentioned already you get more than most Tamiya kits but it's still pricey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2020 at 8:42 PM, Mokei Kagaku said:

Since I posted about the true reason for the name change from "Vanquish" to "VQS" earlier today, I have received lots of angry PM's. I'm being accused of lying and some even claim that my story doesn't sound plausible! Can you believe it?!?!?  So, to prove beyond the slightest doubt to all of you that I told the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, I've decided to post a photo from one of my countless visits to the Tamiya family's inaka yashiki , showing the very evening Tamiya-san and myself enjoyed a bottle of exquisite and priceless vintage sake together while I was advising Tamiya-san about future releases. As the photo was taken, Tamiya-san was showing me the prototype of the VQS for my approval. Also, he brought with him the next re-release, as you can see. 

Photos never lie, so I expect you all to believe anything I tell you from now on! 

blue-lagoon-geothermal-spa-120.jpg

 

(Disclaimer: I haven't received a single PM)

As you are friends with Mr Tamiya why don’t you tell him to sort out the ridiculously lack of spare parts supply? They release kits or current with ****** all parts supply - example the egress and Avante can hardly get any parts these days it’s been like that for almost 10 months! The guy needs a kick up his backside!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Avante2001R said:

As you are friends with Mr Tamiya why don’t you tell him to sort out the ridiculously lack of spare parts supply? They release kits or current with ****** all parts supply - example the egress and Avante can hardly get any parts these days it’s been like that for almost 10 months! The guy needs a kick up his backside!

I agree.  Even though these cars are still for sale parts supply is a effin joke.  Kyosho re release their vintage cars with full spares and hop up support

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, A-Baum said:

Just the pessimist in me making a completely unfounded statement.  Seems the Kyosho re-res are quite expensive, but as mentioned already you get more than most Tamiya kits but it's still pricey.

I thought maybe you had some inside info :) Hopefully the Mid will be priced under $400 when it happens.

Sorry for the derail. Back to the VQS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Avante2001R said:

As you are friends with Mr Tamiya why don’t you tell him to sort out the ridiculously lack of spare parts supply? They release kits or current with ****** all parts supply - example the egress and Avante can hardly get any parts these days it’s been like that for almost 10 months! The guy needs a kick up his backside!

 

13 hours ago, slimleeroy said:

I agree.  Even though these cars are still for sale parts supply is a effin joke.  Kyosho re release their vintage cars with full spares and hop up support

In most cases, the distributors are to be blamed for that. Parts availability is excellent in the domestic market. Also, even though I think the German distributor is generally really bad, parts availability in the German market is pretty good. I don't have any serious problem sourcing the parts and kits I want. Some of the parts I buy are certainly not Tamiya mainstream, but are still mostly available in Germany,. In the relatively few cases they aren't, I buy from Japan.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

 

In most cases, the distributors are to be blamed for that. Parts availability is excellent in the domestic market. Also, even though I think the German distributor is generally really bad, parts availability in the German market is pretty good. I don't have any serious problem sourcing the parts and kits I want. Some of the parts I buy are certainly not Tamiya mainstream, but are still mostly available in Germany,. In the relatively few cases they aren't, I buy from Japan.

 

Here we seem to have one man bands popping up on eBay charging a fortune for parts. Some are ok but still very expensive compared to parts and kit prices of some of the HK shops.

Would love to have access to a well stocked up Tamiya stockist like Seidel here in the UK But sadly that won’t happen as I feel there is a lot of greed here and prices get massively inflated. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Biz73 said:

I thought maybe you had some inside info :) Hopefully the Mid will be priced under $400 when it happens.

Sorry for the derail. Back to the VQS.

When is the optima mid being released? Is there a press release? Any links? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Avante2001R said:

When is the optima mid being released? Is there a press release? Any links? 

It hasn't been anounced, but the Legendary series seems to be doing well for Kyosho and everyone seems to want a Mid. I will be surprised if Kyosho doesn't bring it back.

On the parts issue, usually if a distributor isn't up to par they lose exclusivity or are replaced. That's on the parent company. Maybe the RC industry is different than other industries though. Tamiya USA is supposedly owned by Tamiya so they should have everything right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Avante2001R said:

Seidel don’t ship outside of Germany so pointless for most of us. 

Yes, but Tamico does and Prices between Tamico and Seidel are most of the time only 10€ different on new released kits. So that´s a nice indication.

So my hope to end up in the Super Astute range was heard. And ther´s still the gap to Avante and Egress, that makes the VQS not rot in the stores.

You still got many expensive hopups as the complete cardans, which are quality wise worls apart from the original ones, you get the CNC´d uprights and (hopefully) the Racing steering set. But maybe they also rere the original Vanquish steering, which would be sad.

And we get the white CDR wheels again, which were already rare nowadays. If I had known that 3 years ago, I´d ordered 2 more sets. Funny, that the limited pink ones from Black special are still around as spares....

Anyway, thanks that price is not above 300€, although a price in the Terra scorcher range would have been nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Modelsport have it up for £345 incl postage, which IMO is a bit nuts for a tub chassis buggy. This needed to be in the £220 range IMO. I'm sure they'll still sell every single one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wondering if the pricing is reflective of production possibly shifting from the Philippine to Japan? I’ve been noting that some Tamiya kits have increased in price by upto 50% over past 6 months which is no doubt due to supply restrictions and high demand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2020 at 1:57 PM, graemevw said:

Those of us that enjoy doing the body just end up paying more money for less fun :(

Harder to cut, harder to paint and harder to decal the better for me. The body is the best part of the build :)

Its the part I hate, I have several waiting for a very long time for the bodies to get done. If you want to give me a price for a body be happy to let you do several for me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Baddon said:

Its the part I hate, I have several waiting for a very long time for the bodies to get done. If you want to give me a price for a body be happy to let you do several for me?

The body is the part I love doing the most sometimes I get it wrong sometimes I get it right but I have that many colour variations bouncing around my head the kit building as much as I enjoy it is a bit of a means to an end! Could be because I've built that many of them over the years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, moffman said:

The body is the part I love doing the most sometimes I get it wrong sometimes I get it right but I have that many colour variations bouncing around my head the kit building as much as I enjoy it is a bit of a means to an end! Could be because I've built that many of them over the years?

The last time I did bodies I binged I think 6

Boomerang, Bigwig, Winger, Thundershot, Thunder Dragon, Fire Dragon, Terra Scorcher (nope 7.......)

over a Christmas holiday. The cutting I had done over the previous month the painting was ok, BUT the decals.........I did one a day after the first two nearly made me blind.

So unfortunately with human nature to avoid what we dont like, I have now collected 4 more to do.

Saint dragon, Astute inc undertray, Vanquish and a Dirt Thrasher.

This will complete my display cases (for now) and as I have lost my Tamiya mojo (most due to these bodies needing done) suspect it will see things stop for a while till the bug bits me again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Modelsport have it up for £345

Mad. Can’t pay that when I paid £375 for my egress and £399 for my Avante.
 

Hmmm , I should sell my egress  and Avante 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2020 at 6:56 AM, ThunderDragonCy said:

Well Modelsport have it up for £345 incl postage, which IMO is a bit nuts for a tub chassis buggy. This needed to be in the £220 range IMO. I'm sure they'll still sell every single one. 

I agree 345 is completely overpriced

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think I'm out on the Vanquish unless tamiyausa has a fire sale later on. Rather spend the money on an Egress/Avante.  But for now I just ordered a super hotshot so that was my stretch purchase for the time being.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the collection, vintage Egress, Avante, Avante 2001, re re Egress, Avante, Avante black special but have no desire for the Vanquish. Money better spent on other things which is worth spending on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crazy when you consider you can get a ReRe Kyosho 4WD Optima/Javelin for 40 GBP less, and I reckon most people would regard the Kyosho as the higher quality kit / build out of the box.  Sad thing is, while most of us on here think the VQS is over-priced, it will still probably sell out in due course...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, thegorf said:

Crazy when you consider you can get a ReRe Kyosho 4WD Optima/Javelin for 40 GBP less, and I reckon most people would regard the Kyosho as the higher quality kit / build out of the box.  Sad thing is, while most of us on here think the VQS is over-priced, it will still probably sell out in due course...

Probably will sell out.  Blows my mind the prices people are paying on TamiyaUSA website for kits because that's the last place that had them in stock and I guess folks are desperate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...