jlcox7

Which kits have ABS wheels vs Nylon? Dye question

I can't seem to find any info on what wheels in which kits are ABS vs Nylon - does anyone have any source or info?

I have read that the Hornet/grasshopper/Frog wheels are ABS, and cannot be dyed - and I found that the Manta Ray wheels I have would not take a dye - 

But saw a video of  top force wheels being dyed , along with some other brands - and I have dyed the yellow dampers off many kits -

so any info would be great

thanks!

Great question, I tried dyeing my Frog wheels... it was an epic fail, the heat distorted them all out of shape, I  ending up burning them.

I'd love to know if Hotshot/Wild One wheels can be dyed, before I try it again.

I tried w/ my HotShot re-re, no good for me. I documented it here (about half way down the page):

• Like 1

Bigwig Re-Re has nylon wheels and so does my TT-02 Mazda 3 kit: Not 100% sure about other TT-02 variants. The Lunchbox and Midnight Pumpkin Wheels are ABS. 

The early monster truck wheels can't be dye, Blackfoot, Lunch Box, Pumpkin, Clod, etc. The Hot Shot/Wild One wheels will take dye as they are PA but neither takes it fully like raw nylon. I did some Wild One wheels and while they accepted the color, it was muted. Despite taking some dye, those wheels aren't natural off-white nylon like RC10 plastics for instance. Rather, Tamiya PA wheels are a brighter white when new and I theorize this whiteness added to the wheels dilutes the effect of the dye. Sometimes it seems to work out and other times its less effective. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can be of help. I think the Top Force wheels take some dye as well. The white DF03 wheels I had dyed up black very well. 

Without a sprue to identify the material as PA/nylon or ABS or PC, I generally go by feel. Wheels that are rock hard and have no flex are usually ABS, which is, for all intents, all but waterproof (though is does melt and distort quite nicely when heated :wacko:). Wheels with a slight give or flex to them, or have a slightly waxy feel to them or will imprint if you push your thumb nail into them are likely some form of PA, though as we've found out, dyeing success can be luck of the draw at times.

• Like 3

DB01-RRR...impossible to dye the Yellow Wheels supplied. 

Top Force re re 2015, I've changed the white color in Orange (evo clone)

17 hours ago, Saito2 said:

The early monster truck wheels can't be dye, Blackfoot, Lunch Box, Pumpkin, Clod, etc. The Hot Shot/Wild One wheels will take dye as they are PA but neither takes it fully like raw nylon. I did some Wild One wheels and while they accepted the color, it was muted. Despite taking some dye, those wheels aren't natural off-white nylon like RC10 plastics for instance. Rather, Tamiya PA wheels are a brighter white when new and I theorize this whiteness added to the wheels dilutes the effect of the dye. Sometimes it seems to work out and other times its less effective. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can be of help. I think the Top Force wheels take some dye as well. The white DF03 wheels I had dyed up black very well. 

Without a sprue to identify the material as PA/nylon or ABS or PC, I generally go by feel. Wheels that are rock hard and have no flex are usually ABS, which is, for all intents, all but waterproof (though is does melt and distort quite nicely when heated :wacko:). Wheels with a slight give or flex to them, or have a slightly waxy feel to them or will imprint if you push your thumb nail into them are likely some form of PA, though as we've found out, dyeing success can be luck of the draw at times.

Strictly speaking in this day and age the impression (part) would be expected to have a recycling logo identifying the polymer where possible. Obviously clear visual parts or parts too small can be excluded from this.

So, really on something like a wheel, if there is enough room inside the rim on a non-undercut surface the recycling logo should be put on that now days not just on the runner.

No idea whether Tamiya will start to try to get more logos or polymer identifiers on parts but with the move to more recycling I think it will happen.

What doesn't help either is that there are that many grades of polymer within each type which can also be then adjusted by the moulder with different additives and colours. One PA may, as people have found out, give a totally different result to another PA.

• Like 1

Can tell you by experience Terra Scorcher re-re (2020) rims won't dye either. Didn't read much further than 'how to dye with RIT' and just wasted 4 RIT Dye packages, made a mess of the kitchen (overboiled) and totally destroyed 4 good rims without even a trace of the color intended on them. Aaargggghhhh...

• Sad 1