426Purplefish

Your Shelf-Queen Philosophy?

I have a mixture of original and re-releases the originals I've restored with the intention of purley using for display!........now the re-releases that's a different story! I bought everyone of them to use but not abuse but the problem is when I've built them (eg avante, optima) I've then been so impressed with the quality I've not been able to bring myself to use them so I bought another avante so I can use one display one but that didn't work eather then I bought a black special thinking "that's the show one" and yes again I now have 3 shelf queens I have a used avante now which I'm slowly bringing back to useable condition (to use:unsure:) the turbo optima I took to my local rc track I put it on said track stood on the rostrum transmitter in hand!........walked off the rostrum picked up the optima put my cat k1 in its place now I have turbo optima as a shelf queen! I must admit I never restored the wild willy I bought it this way just put some final touches on it but I did completely take it apart and re-build it and put a unused period black endurance motor in it which was a bit of a chore to put it mildly!

20190804_120537.jpg

20200229_160211.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Problemchild said:

I have 20+ cars and I run 2 of them (beetle and a neo scorcher both running LiPo 3s Brushless)

The rear are shelfers. But they all have radio gear and motors and bearings.

may as well as creating a tidy radio gear install is all part of it :)

rCdzvSJ.jpg

JJ

Love your falcon and clod buster.

• Thanks 1

I still have my original FF-01 that I bought in 1996 in pristine condition. Originally it came with a Renault Clio body. Converted the chassis to FRP, drove it less than 15 times then bought a Corolla WRC body and drove it like 3-4 times then kept it since. I still upgrade it once in a while and recently installed electronics on it and drove it easy. But I will slowly upgrade this furthermore and replace the TRF dampers I installed with the period correct aluminum racing dampers (pink).

wXzl1blh.jpg

xDe5wsQh.jpg

KoQNgp6h.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

I still have my original FF-01 that I bought in 1996 in pristine condition. Originally it came with a Renault Clio body. Converted the chassis to FRP, drove it less than 15 times then bought a Corolla WRC body and drove it like 3-4 times then kept it since. I still upgrade it once in a while and recently installed electronics on it and drove it easy. But I will slowly upgrade this furthermore and replace the TRF dampers I installed with the period correct aluminum racing dampers (pink).

wXzl1blh.jpg

xDe5wsQh.jpg

KoQNgp6h.jpg

Nice!

20 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

From seeing Ewan & Charlie’s ‘Long way Round’ world motorcycle adventure and Ewan explaining how every scratch or dent on the bike told a story of different occasions and experiences along the way changed my view on keeping, some things at least, pristine. As did @Juggular’s one eyed Hopper. It gives something its individual character and personality and thus seen and still enjoyed as such. 

For me, everything is supposed to be a runner. 

Unless I get a rare Porsche 959. Then I probably won't run it because parts are rare for vintage kits.  

6nbPtW5.jpg

One eyed ghetto-Grasshopper is a reminder for myself that I prefer them as runners.  

gMZchzU.jpg

Having said that...

I have shells from the 90's that were meant to be "Shelf Queen Dresses."  

rMoBkgo.jpg

Since these are not painted, I guess they are nude-dresses?  

7t0IK08.jpg

Unlike the clear shell, my philosophy on shelf queen is rather unclear.  I guess I'm an omnivore?  I want to be a full carnivore, but I wouldn't mind having some Queens who won't eat dirt.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have spen a lot of years, and a lot of money restoring the vintage Tamiya models, searching out the rare and hard to find parts, and building them all exactly as the box art suggested.

I would be absolutely gutted in i ran one into a kerb and lost a mirror, or cracked the body shell that had cost me a couple of hundred pounds.

All my restored or original built models are strictly on the shelf to be looked at and enjoyed without fear of damage.

Some do have period radio equipment, but most do not.

It may not work for everyone, but it works for me.

J

• Like 3

I was going to say that I don’t have any shelf queens as I don’t have a shelf but it isn’t strictly true. I have my All Metal Frog

265A0D38-3FCC-4938-8A17-25A18C7BE3AD.jpg
but I regard this as more of a sculpture than an RC car. I I intend to have it capable of running eventually.

I would love to have a couple of ‘display’ cars but they would need to be at the level of scale models - the point where I would be scared to run them for fear of breakages.

As it is, my modelling and painting skill level means that I can run any of my cars :D

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

I was going to say that I don’t have any shelf queens as I don’t have a shelf but it isn’t strictly true. I have my All Metal Frog

265A0D38-3FCC-4938-8A17-25A18C7BE3AD.jpg
but I regard this as more of a sculpture than an RC car. I I intend to have it capable of running eventually.

I would love to have a couple of ‘display’ cars but they would need to be at the level of scale models - the point where I would be scared to run them for fear of breakages.

As it is, my modelling and painting skill level means that I can run any of my cars :D

that is very cool

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2020 at 10:43 AM, Super ally said:

Love your falcon and clod buster.

Thanks mate - both pretty much as new now :)

(better than if I’d have made them when younger)

JJ

23 hours ago, Problemchild said:

Thanks mate - both pretty much as new now :)

(better than if I’d have made them when younger)

JJ

Falcon was the first tamiya buggy i drove,it was my brothers.Wish they would re release it.

There are only 2 cars on the planet (maybe!) that I would shelf. 

My old Ultima and my old Mid Custom, having tracked down both the people I sold them to 25+ years ago ,one left it in his loft when he moved house, and the other, thinks, it's still in his loft.....

Other cars I've owned, which i wanted bitd, the Marui Ninja, Kyosho Maxxum, Bigwig , Rough Rider etc, became too expensive to get parts for (before re re), so sold on and bought runners (sold the bigwig and bought a boomerang and a lunchbox). 

Ironically, the only 2 I've modded,  and run fairly regularly, are an original Ultima (running a 6.5t ) and an Optima Mid Custom (running a 5.5t)

I'm not sure if this counts, but when I build my new Konghead I'll build it with one clear chassis half, and one black chassis half. This will leave me (logically) with a spare clear half and spare black half, which I will make with the stock silver can and spare set of black gears (I am building the new one with the orange and yellow gear sets). This somewhat unusual arrangement will be displayed on a shelf - because it's a cool chassis/gearbox hybrid and I have a very understanding wife!

• Like 1