Re-Bugged

M08 Concept Chassis with Phat Mini Body

Always loved the look of the Tamiya Mini Cooper but as the rarer and more expensive they become takes them off the menu for me.

So flicking through an online auction site I came across a Miglia Mini shell by Phat Bodies, and was immediately followed by that feeling of, yep thats the one, and it just seems to hit the spot for some reason or another. So instead of procrastinating and inevitably missing out as I usually do it found its way to the cart then half way round the would to me. A few days later they had all sold out too.

F0A0F0B3-B1C7-41D1-9DC1-251CC88B0A7D.jpg

Not bad at all for the money, not quite Tamiya standard, (then again nothing else ever is is it?) I'm more than happy with it and will do very nicely indeed thank you very much.

You only get window mask's with these though, no other decals at all, so thats new territory for me, 

So thats the body, it will need something to hold it up. I was following a thread 'M Chassis Confusion' while the body was on its way here with interest.

I have an M05 chassis with my Scorched 2CV on it that I considered using, but would be a pest having to change the wheelbase from the long to short for the two different bodies. I then toyed with a donor M06 Kit to use the chassis for this, but with the Renault Alpine being touted as being rere'd on an M06 I didn't want to potentially  double up at this stage.

The M07 and M08 was getting some excellent rave ratings on the M Chassis Confusion thread and one of each was available in Australia which was good news. As I already have a FWD M05 I thought why not make this one a RWD? There are custom built 1:1 RWD Mini's out there, heck even 4WD's to, so why not. M08 it was to be then. Being able to use my square LiPo is an added bonus as well.

8BEE3AC7-1D74-4043-8D71-140B06F36C35.jpg

Depending on how much room there is on top of the chassis's gearbox I'm considering a dummy engine in the back. 

So thats where we are at, we'll see how it goes.

• Like 10

I will be following this with interest!! 😊  I'm eventually going to want a M07, and possibly a M08 as well - sometime after this crisis we're in over here is finally over.

I LIKE THAT BODY!! 😊👌 I really miss the M03 Mini Cooper I used to have, and the Mini Bodies lately are pure Unobtainium! 😖  That almost looks like an Anglia, but not quite. It is that small, cute and boxy little thing that's just charming. 

It's hard to get the full impression of it in Clear... Looking forward to seeing it with Paint! 😉

I also hope you're doing a detailed build of the Chassis. I'd love to see what is so different about the M07/08 Concepts.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2020 at 7:13 PM, Carmine A said:

It's hard to get the full impression of it in Clear... Looking forward to seeing it with Paint! 😉

Me too, I’ve got a 90% plan in my head on what I intend to do with it so that’s half the battle. And as you you so rightly point out taking a photo of transparent objects are surprisingly difficult 😉

Anyway a quick update as I’m up to stage 3, I skipped stage 1 as it’s charging the battery not much point in doing that as it will be flat again before it’s needed.

Stage 3 was a bit of an eye opener to be honest, paying a bit more for a less basic kit to be 3 steps in and finding you have to resort to hacking lumps off the suspension arms, wow, wasn’t expecting that. I thought that kind of thing was reserved for Ghetto mods later on 😂. Oh well, if that’s what you gotta do that’s what you gotta do 😉

7547E2CB-39D0-439B-A8B0-42A12A19C8D3.jpg

C0030F87-67B9-44E8-9C52-E7B40F15DF12.jpg

I’ve been playing around with some paint pens for some of the body detail and I might trim the wheel the wheel arches a bit, I’ll wait til it’s seated on the chassis before I make my mind up there.

E883BB3F-DFA2-4CB6-A879-DFB7BE33CA14.jpg

Gearbox next...

• Like 5

@Re-Bugged I can kind of see the point of having to "hacking lumps".... but at the same time, think that was copping out on their part. I know, REALLY neutral response!! However in that case, it appears that Tamiya designed that A Arm to be reversible. So if you need only one replacement, you needn't worry about right or left.  One part fits either! 😉

Since they first came out, I've found Paint Pens INDISPENSABLE!!! Even in my small Haitch-O Model Railroad, they're great for the tiniest details. I didn't think of Window Trim... I might be borrowing that idea! 😉

And yes Mate, taking pictures of Clear Bodies, especially with an old Android Phone (all I can afford), is next to impossible to get a good shot. 😖😠 

As on my Thread, where I TRIED to show how I'm recreating the Rear Body Mounts, you can't really tell by the picture WHAT exactly you're looking at!!😲

..... At least WE know what we're trying to do - aren't we!!?? 😜

• Like 2

Righto, Nora En Pure on the bluetooth speaker in the background, Sunday afternoon time for a bit of building R & R.

So steps 5 to 13 assembling the gearbox and attaching to the Chassis completed. All fitted nicely together.

My first ever encounter with some Blue bling in the form a Motor Mount, and a Tamiya spanner I've not seen before,

78C85F2C-B286-41B1-A714-7F91DA1CB749.jpg

F4D2EC2F-6DD0-4073-9F0F-BA63E0A3DC9F.jpg

Transferring the Pinion position on to a bit of paper to set it on the shaft I found that it didn't mate quite inline with the spur gear so was set to nearer 18mm instead and then lined up perfectly.

I''m using a spare Sport Tuned motor I have for now and gone down a tooth from 20 to 19 with the Pinion.

6B69CF56-EF61-4843-BBFE-FB97C91B0F62.jpg

Setting the mesh Kyosho style

2DBBDA59-BE0A-4BD4-A704-B9930B9AF716.jpg

• Like 3

Then the oil filled diff,

At first I thought there wasn't any diff oil supplied, but turns out I couldn't see it for looking. Its not mentioned in the parts list in the back of the Manual and isn't written on the bottle either. Well at least I hope the anonymous bottle is diff oil and not a glue or something because it will end up being a locked diff if it is.

It is quite thick and gloopy so I adopted the same method as a Shock O-ring and applied some to the diff oil to  O-rings prior to fitting and on the back of the metal shim so everything is coated. I thought I was going to have trouble getting that pin in place but it managed to find its way in without to much drama.

37A2C936-FBED-4CF6-8EA6-9617C2BABDC5.jpg

The bevel gears look as though they are made from some sort of glow in the dark plastic

56B64F0E-6D3C-499D-A1F0-01622FAD7F67.jpg

161D4D20-0508-4143-87DE-4064B8F6D38E.jpg

90EEF6BA-1F27-4A98-9B75-4661C3F3B6A9.jpg

So far so good.

• Like 7

So far so good indeed 😊 

BTW I haven't seen that spanner, since I built my Hot Shot in 1986! 

From what I've heard, that's 3000wt Diff Oil... To some that seems ultra thick. In my Axial Wraith, I've got 500,000wt in the front Diff!! (Rear is locked) THAT was a challenge to get out of the Tube!!! 😖  I actually Microwaved the Tube to thin it some!!! 😲

With the Wraith, it was more about getting it as close to locked, without being locked. It's got HUGE 140mm 2.2" Tyres, and weighs 10.6lbs. 

I think it's going to be more fun actually having to TUNE the Diff, in a lightweight Car!! 😁

Do you happen to know if the M07 has the same Diff?

I'm not going to even TRY to imagine, WHAT those Bevel Gears are made out of!!! 😲

It is 3000wt oil in the Diff according to the manual @Carmine A, I seem to recall in the M Chassis thread that people had played around with different oil weights but ended up back at the stock one anyway. It feels fine to me.

No idea if the M07 has the same Diff, I could only presume so. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

M07 and M08 have the same diff and internals, but the M07 has higher viscosity oil.

Thanks!! I've heard the FWD likes thicker Oil than the RWD. The M08 is likely too squirrelly if you go too thick.

• Like 1

The M Chassis game of 2 halves continues, part bag A emptied, on to bag B.

I’m no expert in miniature engineering by any means but the design and thought that has gone into getting the motor and gearbox central in the chassis really stands out at this stage.

5776ECD5-43EC-4264-AAA5-B9FDF75C1EAB.jpg

6381F84C-EFF7-40FB-87F7-9C663258589C.jpg

• Like 2

only just found your thread, keen to see where you go with this. Looking at that body, the first thing that came to mind was the Project Blinky, although that's 4WD. For the money that body looks pretty good value. I've seen some others around that price range, but they have the windscreen wipers moulded into the body as well. I've never really understood the point of doing that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was tempted by the windscreen moulded body to @yogi-bear but this one seemed to hit the right spot for me. Twokeys RC here in Australia has a Clubman 1275gt and a more classic Mini that’s not bad at all form just under $37 

https://twokeysrcparts.com.au/product/classic-mini-cooper-clear-lexan-body-shell-fo-110-rc-mini-tamiya-m06-m05-colt/

I was also tempted by going 4WD on a Sakura chassis as @mtbkym01, but there must be a problem with getting overseas deliveries to me as I’ve have a Scorcher Body sitting in a HK warehouse for over 6 weeks saying the can’t deliver yet 🙄

I’m hoping to at least get the chassis to a point that I’ll be able to mount the body tomorrow and get a better idea of how it’s going to work out. 

• Like 1

M08 is a great kit, and Tamiya put a lot of special RWD M-love in it! It´s amazing to drive, when you have the grip conditions. They even put TRF piston rods and bladders in the CVA dampers, you will notice during building.

On low grip dusty tarmac, it´s hardly driveable, like any other RWD M-chassis. M06 is a little easier still, due to the hanging out rear motor. But that benefit from the m06 in low grip conditions is also it´s downside compared to the M08: When you have high grip conditions, the M08 got plenty of steering even off throttle and it´s much more agile in tight corners.:lol: It´s just like the real old fight mid motor ahainst rear motor...

Watching your build with interest. If you have the opportunity to run this beast on a carpet track, you can go up to 7k diff oil in rear for more power out of the corners without problems.;)

If you drive outside with the kit setup and the  gold springs, do not lower the ground clearance too much without stabilizers, because chassis will contact the ground in corners and you will spin off before you will notice it. My friends and I cut the battery stops lower bottom to gain 4mm more ground clearance for that reason.

Kind regards,

Matthias

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

I was tempted by the windscreen moulded body to @yogi-bear but this one seemed to hit the right spot for me. Twokeys RC here in Australia has a Clubman 1275gt and a more classic Mini that’s not bad at all form just under $37 

https://twokeysrcparts.com.au/product/classic-mini-cooper-clear-lexan-body-shell-fo-110-rc-mini-tamiya-m06-m05-colt/

I was also tempted by going 4WD on a Sakura chassis as @mtbkym01, but there must be a problem with getting overseas deliveries to me as I’ve have a Scorcher Body sitting in a HK warehouse for over 6 weeks saying the can’t deliver yet 🙄

I’m hoping to at least get the chassis to a point that I’ll be able to mount the body tomorrow and get a better idea of how it’s going to work out. 

I picked up my Sakura M4 from Hearns Hobbies in Melb, good value too IMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

I think I have that body set :) plus the other with the moulded in windscreen wipers. There is one other set I've seen of an early Leyland Mini that I wouldn't mind too.

I've noticed unless I order off sites like Banggood, deliveries from China are taking a very long time. Long enough that I am beginning to not trust they will arrive. The last one took nearly 10 weeks!

cool, looking forward to seeing how it sits on the chassis.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

.... I just went poking through Twokeysrcparts store. First, I wish I found this Mini Cooper Body in the first place!! Second, his prices in general are EXCELLENT! 😁

Then I found out that he's in NSW, Australia..... 

I couldn't find on his site where he ships to the U.S. .  I'm in no position to get anything - but by next year maybe I can finally recreate my old M03 Mini Cooper - but with a M07!!! 😁😁😁

I like his story. He talked about believing that Hobby Shops were making an entirely too high of a profit Margin... Then how he got a Job in a Hobby Shop, and that confirmed his thoughts. SO he decided to open his OWN Hobby Shop!! 

There's NOBODY in the U.S. like that. I just emailed him about Shipping possibilities and cost to the Western United States. There's NO WAY I'm ordering anything from China!! 😠

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

The M Chassis game of 2 halves continues, part bag A emptied, on to bag B.

I’m no expert in miniature engineering by any means but the design and thought that has gone into getting the motor and gearbox central in the chassis really stands out at this stage.

6381F84C-EFF7-40FB-87F7-9C663258589C.jpg

I'm certainly no expert either.... But I'm beginning to appreciate the engineering that went into the M07/M08, that makes them really better than the earlier ones! 😁

@ruebiracer seems to have experience with these... If our local Track ever gets Carpet - then the M08 might be perfect!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

.... I just went poking through Twokeysrcparts store. First, I wish I found this Mini Cooper Body in the first place!! Second, his prices in general are EXCELLENT! 😁

Then I found out that he's in NSW, Australia..... 

I couldn't find on his site where he ships to the U.S. .  I'm in no position to get anything - but by next year maybe I can finally recreate my old M03 Mini Cooper - but with a M07!!! 😁😁😁

Just had a quick look and he’s eBay shop comes up on eBay.com so I’d say he would be able to send your way

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Mini-Cooper-S-Clear-Body-Shell-for-1-10-RC-MINI-Tamiya-M03-M05-M08/124266549527?hash=item1ceedd1117:g:4xsAAOSwfgBc9I2x

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Re-Bugged said:

Just had a quick look and he’s eBay shop comes up on eBay.com so I’d say he would be able to send your way

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Mini-Cooper-S-Clear-Body-Shell-for-1-10-RC-MINI-Tamiya-M03-M05-M08/124266549527?hash=item1ceedd1117:g:4xsAAOSwfgBc9I2x

Just put one on my watch list!! USD $28.43 + $35.54 Shipping.... But that STILL ends up being less than anything I've found here! 

Tamiya Mini Cooper Bodies here are in the $90-150 range! And the Chinese variants, though cheaper, look like CRAP! Thanks Mate!! 😊

• Like 1

Twokeys?! That's a blast from the past!

Didn't know they were still around...

• Like 3

I’m following this with interest, I bought the same Mini body after you posted the link as I really like it. 

I was going with the M05 as it cheap to buy, but the 08 is much more interesting imo and it would then mean instead of the M05 I could justify an FF03...

• Like 2

I like your logic @Grumpy pants, the M08 has a plan B if this doesn't work out. An Alpine body as its being rere'd again ;)

So, bit more progress as its sort of Sunday for me back on Roster tomorrow.

Front end assembled, with kit supplied bearings and a the blue bling shims. I must admit it does feel nicer going together over the M05, there are only 2 self tappers in the whole kit, the rest are machine thread screws. 

One little stuff up I made was I didn't realise I needed a low profile servo and Ive only got a standard size one spare at to mo....whoops. At least I can carry on without for now.

21332B1A-2C8F-424D-AD5C-BD771051D6EA.jpg 

You do need a magnifying glass though for the C hubs to be able to identify the notch for correct orientation here..

E775F59F-15F2-4FAB-897B-63B037707606.jpg

• Like 3

The two halves of the chassis put together set at the 210mm wheelbase for the Mini.

Theres a bit of a Tamiya anomaly when it came to the front body post mounting assembly as the instructions call for 2x B15's that don't really fit at all. So I've taken the appropriate male, 'don't understand that so I'll ignore it and it'll go away' attitude. Everything fits and looks right without it. Even the length of the screws suggest that B15 isn't really supposed be there.

7E8E3A5D-150C-42B7-9F61-CEB8CA8B0259.jpg

881E578D-E24B-4029-A8A7-8380794FEF46.jpg

• Like 2

With the Chassis in one piece and the shocks, body mounts and spare set of wheels on to get a feel for how the body sits...

It would appear that Tamiya may be allowing for a run of Cliff Richards Summer Holiday Double Decker Bus bodies in the future for this chassis as the Post's would be long enough..

F117ECCF-14B4-4267-99BC-A0566D3F494B.jpg

Reducing the posts a bit we get a bit closer to where we want to be, 

9C791394-CD9F-436F-9D3A-8E9945D11F47.jpg

The toe-in may need adjusting for aesthetics, but as it's a runner handling will take priority.

Happy so far :)

A89BF5CE-1163-4E7C-A0A0-A1DB6E318E16.jpg

The wheels look as though they are tucked in further in the photo, but aren't in reality. 

I think I might phone in sick for work tomorrow and carry on with this instead *cough, cough* :rolleyes:

• Like 5