Re-Bugged

M08 Concept Chassis with Phat Mini Body

1 hour ago, ACCEL said:

don't want to hijack dear sweet mild mannered Re-Bugged's post, but yes eric will find them, ACCEL not so much:lol:

it's when your not looking for them they magically appear.

it's like everything i do, that's why when something takes longer to do, more things appear.

I MAY have to go surfing down the Plumbing Aisle at my local Ace! 😉  When you get hold of Eric.... Ask yourself if they come with something in the inside middle, to thread onto the 4mm Stub Axles beyond the Wheel Nuts... 😜

On 8/12/2020 at 7:59 AM, ACCEL said:

don't want to hijack dear sweet mild mannered Re-Bugged's post, but yes eric will find them, ACCEL not so much:lol:

I’ll have you know that I  got so angry once stirring a cup of tea I split the teabag clean in half........WITH A SPOON!!!!😱 

On 8/12/2020 at 8:07 AM, ACCEL said:

They tell me my Great Grandfather was from England and settled in Texas, raised his family and owned a Hardware, Dry Goods store, despite that Austin Powers, James Bond and some others,  I love the JACK!

Re-Bugged that's a lot of lines to mask off, maybe try Eddie Van Halen's Frankenstein's Guitar graphics on the next one, that would be nice:D.

And on the subject of high jacking, (and guitars) I’ve got this to frame, a signed airbrushed with Pink Floyd artwork. I might need a bit more practice before attempting that kind of fancy stuff on a polycarb shell,

E995DE2B-7EFC-43D1-8FAD-0E5D1B5558AE.md.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the same body for my M07 chassis. I didn't do as neat a job of getting the body posts in the right spot though, and mine isn't perfectly centered over the wheels but its good enough. I had exactly the same idea for the paint - Tamiya Metallic Blue body with a glittery metallic Union Jack on the roof, and white racing stripes over the bonnet and boot.

• Like 2

If you look closely @c64orinoco, the post holes are off centre on mine, I kept scratching my head for ages then I measured the posts in relation to the wheels and guess what, the posts were an 1/8 of an inch closer to one side than the other! So I just went with it.

• Confused 1

On 8/13/2020 at 10:26 PM, Re-Bugged said:

....And on the subject of high jacking, (and guitars) I’ve got this to frame, a signed airbrushed with Pink Floyd artwork. I might need a bit more practice before attempting that kind of fancy stuff on a polycarb shell,

E995DE2B-7EFC-43D1-8FAD-0E5D1B5558AE.md.

That's CRAZY COOL!!!😎 

I know MY Airbrushing skills aren't up to that level... 😖 THAT looks like a Job for Hemistorm!!

• Like 1

Lots of masking and the Gun Metal applied. Well happy with the roof!! 😃

23B40893-E463-4DED-863E-6A29237F9274.jpg

20C9301C-19B1-4E8A-B00D-1367EFA3C03C.jpg

• Like 7

@Re-Bugged I'm happy with the WHOLE Body!! 👌👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

I've never done anything that good, but it is something to aspire to.

• Thanks 1

Looks sharp M8 .  Looks like alot of time masking and a few mins unmasking then long time remasking . 

Just think of how much time we all have spent masking and painting , In our rc life . How many bodys we

have damaged in a small amount of time ( sadly) . After painting them :( ..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Great job on the build. @Re-BuggedHow many hours did the chassis take you overall from start to finish? I'd just like to know so that I can plan my build accordingly.

• Like 1

Thanks @DeadMeat666, TBH I wouldn’t have a clue on the hours spent as I just do a bit here and there. There’s a few fiddly bits in it. I would say the more experienced builder would put it together in a day no trouble.  But I like to give my eyes a rest from close ups and staring at small bits (new to glasses!!), make a coffee, flick through TC etc etc. So a weekend should be ample.

• Like 1

All electronics are now in and the chassis is up and running.

With the wire being on the short side on the Power HD R12 servo I decided to mount the Rx just behind it on the battery cover instead of on the front right corner of the chassis. I would say Tamiya intended to keep as much of the weight as low as possible for it to be where it’s supposed to be. A servo wire extension would help, but I don’t have one.

C50CDCFA-3149-4AC9-BBF9-32BF4394AF1D.jpg

8773D6D4-5C35-46A4-8111-D81256EA56AC.jpg

Another slight anomaly is how the ESC is supposed to be positioned. The instructions show it sitting right down on the chassis pan, but that’s not quite possible as the on/off switch wire stops it doing that.

So I opted to raise it up a bit and Zip tied to the lug behind with some of the double sided tap in between. This inadvertently gives better access to the ESC’s set buttons too.

1A68FB49-A110-4964-835A-526F36A37E30.jpg

Nice to have it functioning now. First impressions are very good. 

• Like 5

A bit of tinkering before my last night shift tonight in the way of tidying up some of the wires trimming the urethane bumper, and an empty AW grease tub on/off switch hop-up mount installed.

C7964B12-FDAC-4659-B41D-42AEC43EF95F.jpg

E5CDA476-5C8F-40C6-A292-732736D4F411.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

After more masking, warming and rattling spray cans all the main colours are now done. Just the lights and grill to finish off.

Also added the kit wheels as they are a more fitting than the chrome ones.

E2F2251A-7938-4308-8502-25D34391A5BD.jpg

F34CA43E-2C2A-43CF-9473-FDF8C1B13A2F.jpg

8151CE7F-40A0-4C55-81C1-44A133AAAFC8.jpg

• Like 10

Thanks @Carmine A, I tried stepping out of my comfort zone with this one a bit by mixing modern with a splash of classic. 

• Thanks 1

Been a bit short of any RC tinkering time of late but thanks to member Mrowka I could at least get some stickers on 😃

9C02F5BB-0EE2-4921-B21B-73E361AE43F3.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

You've certainly made a top job of that! 😁

Funnily enough I have one of my minis earmarked for a French blue/white combo, just the stock scheme though.

Umm,  also still havent finished acquiring the electronics for my M08 yet, so not sure what it drives like 😄

• Thanks 1

That looks lovely. What do you think of the quality of the body compared to a Tamiya one?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, berman said:

You've certainly made a top job of that! 😁

Funnily enough I have one of my minis earmarked for a French blue/white combo, just the stock scheme though.

Umm,  also still havent finished acquiring the electronics for my M08 yet, so not sure what it drives like 😄

Thanks, this ones PS3 light blue, backed with white, which also gave me the white stripe, then the red, then the blue again.

I had a TBLE 02 and Sport Tuned in the spares box, so that’s what it’s got for the time being, I really like the LRP I have in my Wild One and comes with Tamiya bullets which makes them plug & play. Tossing up between 13.5 or 17.5, I may even get both then they qualify for free postage 😁

I haven’t run it properly yet see I’ll have a better idea when I do. It’s certainly lively and fun from the storage charge run it did have.

I seem to recall someone pointing out that S grip tyres on the rear will help stop it spinning out.

Looking forward to seeing yours 👍🏻

10 hours ago, toyolien said:

That looks lovely. What do you think of the quality of the body compared to a Tamiya one?

Cheers, I’ve never seen a Tamiya Mini in the flesh so I can’t make a side by side comparison.

But seeing some close up photo’s of a Tamiya shell they have a lot more detail in the gutters and panels etc.

The only stickers you get with the Phat body are for masking the windows & headlights, that’s it nothing else. Which if I’m honest is half the reason for the Gun Metal so I could get away with just touching in the windscreen rubber. Because of no fragile added on bumpers and spot lights I’ll have no worries running this.

I do like the bigger wheel arch’s on the Phat though, I’m not sure if it’s just an optical illusion but to me it seems to make the M wheels look bigger on there.

• Like 1

One other job I did a little while back that I forgot to mention is I cut out some of the leftover Lexan and stuck it on the inside of the shell with some silicone where the posts go through and on the sides as the Battery retainers were almost touching and could rub a bit.

53E36B89-8A5F-4D54-9EF4-F5F4F21387D0.jpg

26AF67BB-BF57-40C9-AAEC-B1B5C25DE309.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

One other job I did a little while back that I forgot to mention is I cut out some of the leftover Lexan and stuck it on the inside of the shell with some silicone where the posts go through and on the sides as the Battery retainers were almost touching and could rub a bit.....

OK 👌 That's CLEVER!!! When I actually wake up - I'm DOING that to my CRX Body!! 👍👍  Top Tip!

• Thanks 1