Ray McCaleb

Grand Hauler Tire Rub

I have some tire rub on the rear of my Grand Hauler. I tried to be careful when assembling the wheels/tires and do not see a significant wobble or out of round, but still have slight rubbing. I assume the likely fix will be to alternate positions of the rear tires until I find a better fit. I like the looks of the close hugging (standard) fenders but was wondering if anyone had tried adjusting the suspension slightly...maybe with washers between the suspension and frame. The rub I am seeing is a result of running in the house, on level floors, with no load...so suspension travel is minimal. (photo shows tire rub on lower fender, left tire.     (Ray)

DD43FD6A-29A0-4D97-B346-AF5AA8C32FD3.jpeg

• Sad 1

I've not seen rubbing that bad before but I haven't used those fenders before either.  They may have lower clearance than euro truck fenders.  That said, I have had issues with Tamiya wheels rubbing on my pole trailer, and Tamiya tyres in general not sitting true on the wheels.

The trick with the tyres is to keep adjusting them by lifting the bead and re-seating them until they run true.  It's a bit of effort and if you're running the rig with a heavy load they might twist again under use, but it's worth a try.

Double check the dual wheels are seated together properly.  It's possible one of the pins hasn't seated and the outside wheel is not running true.

Also check how much side-to-side play you have in your axle.  That was the problem I had with my pole trailer - the axle had a lot of side-to-side movement and combined with normal Tamiya tyre wobble, it would rub the inside of the chassis.  You may be able to shim the axle to reduce slop.

• Like 2

i replaced the kit wheels on my grand hauler and they are slightly wider but the kit tyres just about fir and they catch the fender so i put some spacers between the fender fixing points and the frame to bring the fenders further out  i think i used plastic spacers i found in one of my spare box's

you may not have the hex adaptors sitting flush

IMG_20200221_161003.jpg

• Like 1

Now i'm scared. hope you get it corrected.

always somethn' tho'.

Those wheels are Dynamite!

Thanks to all for the reply’s.

I will try numbering the rear duals and moving them around to new locations. If the wheel/tire combination that is currently rubbing is swapped with another and that wheel/tire that was previously not rubbing in it’s former location but now rubs on the same fender as the problem in the photo, then it is the fender that is warped and will need correcting. If the wheel/tire that rubbed in it’s original location also rubs in the new location, then it is the wheel/tire that is the problem...probably an out of round tire. That is what I hope is the problem as tires are easily replaceable 

• Like 1

if the fender is warped, i'll just say if it happens to my PGH then i 'll try my Lil' heat gun.

but my fenders seem fine but then again they're not on right now.

Problem solved. I was watching a video the other night by Bob at Hobbyconcepts...he mentioned the necessity of being absolutely sure to accurately align the rear leaf springs with the frame rails. I thought I had done so but got out the calipers and checked...off...just slightly. I remembered having to click in a couple clicks of subtrim on the steering...it was starting to add up. I put the truck down on the floor and sat down where I could get a good view as it slowly moved down the long hallway in a straight line...it was crabbing slightly.

I had hoped to finish the build yesterday but that had to wait until today because last night I pulled the rear wheels and control arms, loosened the nuts holding the U bolts, and realigned the rear suspension. Measured carefully...just eyeballing it got me in trouble the first time.

All is good...no rub...no crabbing.

Thanks for the input.

Ray

• Like 2