BOARDRIDER

Kyosho Ultima original vs ReRe Gears

I've picked up a banged up original Ultima with the intention of getting it back on the road but it is missing a few bits. Most seem to be available on the rere. Tyres, radio plate, roll cage are the main things but it is missing some gears and the shafts they sit on. Does anyone know if the gears off the re-release wil fit the old version? They look very different but if they fit the old mounting plate positions it might work? I'm planning on keeping the original diff if possible?

Cheers

I don't know about the Ultima, but Optima/Javelin re re gears will not fit an original, and vice versa.

Doubt it, the re release comes with a slipper ,for modern power.

If it's a runner, have a look and see what cars are available cheaply, and steal a whole gearbox off that, I've nailed an RB5 gearbox on mine, (needed the RB5 driveshafts too though), which gave me a slipper, a ball diff, better shocks and the front 12mm hex bolts straight onto a DT03! 

The RB5 roller cost me £90 if I remember right.

All of the Kyosho re-re buggies thus far have fine tooth gears and a slipper clutch.  There are offerings of ball diff upgrades for the re-re's as well.  It's likely that a full re-re set of gears would fit your OG model and get it running.

There aren't many parts for an OG Kyosho that fit a re re and vice versa. If you need parts for an original, Fireboy125 on eBay has a wide selection and is lots of help and advice.

On 8/1/2020 at 9:46 AM, Wooders28 said:

Doubt it, the re release comes with a slipper ,for modern power.

If it's a runner, have a look and see what cars are available cheaply, and steal a whole gearbox off that, I've nailed an RB5 gearbox on mine, (needed the RB5 driveshafts too though), which gave me a slipper, a ball diff, better shocks and the front 12mm hex bolts straight onto a DT03! 

The RB5 roller cost me £90 if I remember right.

Does the rb5 gearbox bolt straight onto a dt03?

37 minutes ago, slimleeroy said:

Does the rb5 gearbox bolt straight onto a dt03?

No,

The front yokes and steering do, giving a 12mm hex swap option (sorry, didn't make it quite clear)

Most of the pics have been ruined by the, photobucket ransom, mine works though 😁😂😂

the gears from a rere ultima, and even rere optima, will fit an original ultima just fine. you need to go all or nothing though as the gears are of different pitch and slightly different diameter.

It's not exactly hard to find original Ultima gearbox parts. They made that gearbox for a loooong time, all the way through the Outrage/Tracker, until at least the early 2000s. You can still find NIP sets on eBay fairly regularly, or just look for a decent Outrage parts car.

If you want to go the re-re route, you might want to pick up the gearbox halves and gear plate as well, and just replace the entire gearbox. That way you know it will all work together.

On 9/1/2020 at 7:03 PM, BardsDirge said:

the gears from a rere ultima, and even rere optima, will fit an original ultima just fine. you need to go all or nothing though as the gears are of different pitch and slightly different diameter.

You also need the gearbox casing

One of the weak links on the original Ultima is the front bulkhead. Not sure if you need to replace that but I'm betting on a yes. :) Anyways, the rere is much thicker at the screw holes and noticeably widens the front track.