J@mes

Wish I’d bought a kit

On a ‘staycation’ on the Isle of Wight & really wish I’d packed a kit to build in the evenings! Car was rammed & I didn’t have space for even a runner. Oh well, I can window shop online I suppose... 

Does anyone take kits on holiday to build? There’s no Tamiya stockists on the island & by the time an order arrives I’ll be packing up. No doubt I’d need something that’s at home 1/2 way through the build anyway. 

My next break will be better planned.

No, but this sounds like a good idea. Pop on a ferry for Southampton, for a ‘day trip’....

No matter what I build I usually end up using the mill or the lathe on a build, the car's suspension wouldn't take it. Plus I once took a runner on holiday and forgot the charging lead for the charger...............

• Haha 3

I take holiday builds all the time. My Bigwig was built in Cornwall, Astute & GS02 in Spain to name a few. TA07 at the parents, Buggy Champ at the in-laws. Takes a bit in remembering tools, I’ve ended up with a travel set and a home set, especially for the plane rides. 
you’d be surprised how easy it is to squeeze an unboxed kit around your clothes in luggage :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In recent years (literally since I've had enough disposable to have unbuilt kits lying around or to go buy one just for a special occasion) we've done foreign holidays and we've stayed in hotels where there isn't really space for a build and there isn't really anywhere to drive it.

A decade ago I used to stay in southern Spain a lot, I always thought the hills behind Marbella would be perfect for some long crawling sessions with a CC01 or class 1 scaler, but there was never the space in the luggage - we usually get to within a few grams of an excess baggage charge when we're loading up our suitcases.  And besides, if I spent a 2 hour walk picking my lines and watching my Toyota climb over dried up stream beds I'd not stop to enjoy the beauty of the scenery, which is kinda why I went on holiday in the first place.

That said, I've had a few UK breaks where I've wished I'd packed up the entire workshop.  Or, for that matter, stayed home.  One year we rented a static caravan in Bude.  It rained so hard we couldn't sleep at night with the noise, and we couldn't go out in the day because if rained so hard the roof leaked on the convertible and both seats were swimming with water.  At the time there was a small hobby shop in town where I could have bought a new car and all the bits to put it together, but I didn't have many tools with me and we were short of cash.  The idea pretty much got flattened as soon as I mentioned it.  That's the only holiday I've ever been on where we aborted and came home half-way through because the weather was so bad and there was no change forecast.

A few years later we went back to Bude and stayed in a cottage.  True to English form, it rained solid most days.  I brought my SCX10 (which didn't actually get driven) and also an NIB DT-03 to build.  I'd painted the body in advance and packed all my tools, so when the boredom got too intense and the wife vetoed the idea of sticking on a DVD (I don't want television on holiday, thank you ever so very much), I sat on the sofa and put it together.

I don't think I enjoyed it quite as much as building a car in my own space and time at home, to be honest.

• Like 1

I’ve built Blackfoot Chassis while away on a Christmas break, fortunately it arrived the day before we were due to leave which was handy. 
Built a Brat chassis while staying at some relatives house in Brisbane near where I bought it from. 
I only build though I wouldn’t attempt painting or spraying.

I’ve taken a few on other trips to if I know there’s somewhere to run them.

The Brat and Stadium Blitzer came last Christmas on holiday to Agnes/1770 beach.

F50304E8-4C3F-459C-A789-AC4C7AC217DC.md.

CA4F3EE6-CE4A-4EE6-A6D2-CB53E8143B00.md.

Simple pleasures in life 😁

• Like 2

There may be a few who say they’d buy vintage - and if you adjust old school prices to reflect modern money vs current asking ... then reflect increasing rarity they’d be right 

And, if that’s the case for this thread, the list is huge 😂

I read this as more of a contemporary question - and a good one at that given so much is in short supply atm 

So, for me, I wish I’d bought (or pre-ordered) the Comical Avante to build with my daughter 🙄

@Mad Ax your 1st trip to Bude reminds me of a Camping holiday I’d not care to repeat! 

@Re-Bugged you’ve mastered the ‘holiday build’ by the looks of it. I think with better planning I can get there.

@SuperChamp82 hmm, did you reply just to the title 🤔

I’m going to organise the toolkit for travelling & MAKE room in the vehicle for a kit next time. 

• Like 3

I’m amazed this is sanctioned, if I dared to bust out a new kit on holiday, my wife would chop my balls off!

you chaps have done well !

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, J@mes said:

@Re-Bugged you’ve mastered the ‘holiday build’ by the looks of it. I think with better planning I can get there.

I’m going to organise the toolkit for travelling & MAKE room in the vehicle for a kit next time. 

I got plenty of practice getting organized as my workspace kept getting moved from pillar to post. Things had to be readily available easy to get at and pack away. So what I’d use to build with was virtually the same as what I’d take out for running stuff. The more you do it the better you get, in the beginning I take everything and the kitchen sink now it’s down to essentials and easily managed

A Check list can also help left in the box to refer to as you head out.

I can fit a few screwdrivers, Allen keys, tape, zip ties, dusting brush, few spare connectors, grease, charger, transmitter, and LiPos + relevant wires & cables needed. Tools & small stuff on top, bigger bits underneath. And the infamous Tamiya T spanner too. But I have enough of those to have one in every room in the house and more now.

B3D87650-BC14-40C6-9A37-0559A71BCFE1.jpg

Space in the car isn’t an issue as I have a LWB VW Transporter Crewvan, the Mountain Bike even gets thrown in sometimes 👍🏻

15 minutes ago, catman79 said:

I’m amazed this is sanctioned, if I dared to bust out a new kit on holiday, my wife would chop my balls off!

My standing is if you can’t do what you want on Holiday, when can you? We all have different interests in our family and we organise days of doing so. I’ll build while wife and son go off to watch Tennis or something. And I’ve seen enough market stalls in my life that I wouldn’t loose sleep not seeing any more 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, J@mes said:

@SuperChamp82 hmm, did you reply just to the title 🤔

Sorry @J@mes - that’s exactly what I did 🙄

I don’t take kits away on holiday but often wish I’d a runner with me - esp on beaches !

9 hours ago, catman79 said:

In the same boat, the wife would not be happy. I mean there’s always a walk you could be going on, or sitting on a wet beach just on the off chance it clears up.

ha, ha, love it.

A great way to catch up on some builds.

I don’t think I’d be able to take a build on holiday - maybe when the boy is older and we could build it together and run it.
In the meantime, taking a beach runner or two has been signed off by the boss!

• Like 2