Killajb

Why doesn't Tamiya make...

Less re re and fewer legacy chassis re shells

Who here wouldn’t get excited by Tamiya getting back to innovation - even if subsidised by hop ups ?

And, applied to new not re re Comicals,  you’ve got the next generation invested in good old red n blue ...

Everything else is just their very profitable funeral at our expense 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, SuperChamp82 said:

Who here wouldn’t get excited by Tamiya getting back to innovation - even if subsidised by hop ups ?

And, applied to new not re re Comicals,  you’ve got the next generation invested in good old red n blue ...

SAD.... But true.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SuperChamp82 said:

Companies have been doing RC cars for close to 40 years.  Now I'm not an engineer but what innovation could be left that would result in affordable kits?  New chassis designs that do what?  The only thing I can think of is more advanced materials that make up chassis and parts but I see that as being rather expensive.   

• Like 1

Why doesn't Tamiya make...a high quality Buggy Kit. 

We pay for upgrades anyway I think a high quality kit would sell. Kyosho kits are not cheap and sell well. 

14 minutes ago, benitom said:

Why doesn't Tamiya make...a high quality Buggy Kit. 

We pay for upgrades anyway I think a high quality kit would sell. Kyosho kits are not cheap and sell well. 

This comes up a lot, but I think it would sell. I was surprised at the number of TRF and TA cars racing onroad last week. At a rough guess there were 5 of us running tamiya, and all had 2 - 3 cars each. I saw a TA07 and 6 TRF TCs, plus my TRF102 and TA07. That would've been 15% of the cars there. Plus add in all those who have rere's there are a lot of people who like Tamiya.

I wouldn't buy a new TRF buggy initially as it will be expensive and I get parts support track side with HB and Ae, but I would buy a new DB01 replacement and run that offroad, if it was priced similarly to a TA07. If it worked then I would look at the TRF. If it didn't then I would still have it and just run it at home and go back to my HB and Ae cars.

Also, they need to get rid of plastic bushings and friction shocks.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Also, they need to get rid of plastic bushings and friction shocks.

+1 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

.....Also, they need to get rid of plastic bushings and friction shocks.

+2 !!!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Collin said:

Just some non available spareparts, trees, ect.

And maybe Parts Bags as well....

I've always thought that tamiya could do something different on the SRB chassis! Obviously the ranger won't make an appearance because of licencing issues so how about a up to date dune buggy? I know they had the sand rover but that was (and sorry sand rover fans) a bit limp! 

5810210773_fb98d4cffa_b.jpg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, moffman said:

I've always thought that tamiya could do something different on the SRB chassis! Obviously the ranger won't make an appearance because of licencing issues so how about a up to date dune buggy? I know they had the sand rover but that was (and sorry sand rover fans) a bit limp! 

5810210773_fb98d4cffa_b.jpg

I'll TAKE IT!!! 😁😁😁👍👍

The Sand Rover was a bit.... lame.

And now to anger Collectors everywhere... Putting a Ford Ranger Body on basically a BEETLE Chassis - was just stupid!  

And that was the period when Tamiya started taking over the World in RC innovation!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Why are hex screws better when they aren't. I have stripped so many hex screws then normal Ones.

also hex screws come

in imperial and metric. Such a pain in the ***

JIS is one tipe of screw driver.

as for the number, very easy, hop ups have 5 digits, kit replacement parts have 8digits and are kit part nothing to do with hop ups.

if you are not so experienced and have not Tried to understand it dont have such an additue

Firstly, that was probably the rudest post I've ever seen on this forum. What's with the "additue" (sic)?

As @ChrisRx718 said if hex weren't better Tamiya wouldn't use them in their high-end kits. For what it's worth I've never come across an imperial hex in over 50 cars from more than a dozen manufacturers (does that count as "experienced"?), so this probably isn't the problem you make it out to be.

Let's just try and understand this - Tamiya part 50883 is a replacement part for the 39mm driveshaft in a G601 Konghead. It is not a "hop up." I'm always happy to be educated when I'm wrong, so maybe you could clarify this for me?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, lsear2905 said:

I've never come across an imperial hex in over 50 cars from more than a dozen manufacturers

Thankfully metric screws are the norm now. The only manufactures I can think of that still use SAE/Imperial hardware are a few older Losi kits and Vanquish wheels. I've only came across them in older American brand cars

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bash said:

Thankfully metric screws are the norm now. The only manufactures I can think of that still use SAE/Imperial hardware are a few older Losi kits and Vanquish wheels. I've only came across them in older American brand cars

I had to buy a 0.050" (I think, its about 1.3mm so whatever that is) hex driver recently because HB use them on the diffs in the HB413. The 418 uses 1.5mm for diffs, but the exotek diff cap (which you need to run a smaller spur) still uses imperial.

Otherwise I haven't seen an imperial hex screw on a car. Didn't Ae also use them at some point?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bash said:

AE stopped with the B5 series IIRC. 

Sounds about right - my B5 was my first AE car.

23 minutes ago, lsear2905 said:

Firstly, that was probably the rudest post I've ever seen on this forum. What's with the "additue" (sic)?

THANK YOU! This isn't that kind of place. And that GRAMMAR!! 😖  Regardless, that was uncalled for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Bash said:

AE stopped with the B5 series IIRC. 

Good to know, I have a couple of B6's so got lucky I guess. When I bought the first one I was a bit worried I'd need a whole new set of hex drivers,  would've made it an expensive car!

• Like 1

why doesn't tamiya make a durga that isn't a pain to maintain, the durga is a garden basher now on a stock silver can and im not picking it, for garden bashing, got the slipper clutch and other parts just nope.

I wish they would offer actual European and north American race cars again. We miss a lot of GT3, DTM and TCR cars right now. A thing we love from the 90s.

Oh, and if they rere a chassis, they should rere tire sets and/or spare parts, too...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Carmine A said:

I'll TAKE IT!!! 😁😁😁👍👍

The Sand Rover was a bit.... lame.

And now to anger Collectors everywhere... Putting a Ford Ranger Body on basically a BEETLE Chassis - was just stupid!  

And that was the period when Tamiya started taking over the World in RC innovation!!

Yeah that was a bit of a strange one? Especially when at the same time the Toyota hilux and blazing blazer was released! You would think it would have sat better on that chassis? I can't imagine it was done with no reason though? Maybe it was to give people who the hilux was way out of their price range a chance to buy into the rc truck?

• Like 1

WHY hasn't Tamiya got permission/made the Challenger 2 MBT?

WHY haven't they rehashed the deal out with BMW for a new licence?

WHY can't  they put bearings with every kit? I wouldn't object to paying a little extra for bearings that I am going to pay for anyway!

Those are my 3 per peeves at the moment.

Other than that I think they make some excellent kits and what not and I overall I am very happy with the Tamiya brand.

31 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

WHY hasn't Tamiya got permission/made the Challenger 2 MBT?

I still have hope for an (RC) Challenger from Tamiya:

Tamiya released the first Abrams static model in 1982, the 1/35 RC Abrams in 1999 and the 1/16 RC Abrams in 2017.

Tamiya released the first Challenger (1) static model in 1985, so you can expect the 1/16 RC Challenger (1) this year! (2017 - 1982 +1985 = 2020) :P

Tamiya released the first Challenger 2 static model in 2004, so you can expect the 1/16 RC Challenger 2 in (2017 - 1982 + 2004).....eh....... 2039! :P 

Start saving!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

I wish they would offer actual European and north American race cars again. We miss a lot of GT3, DTM and TCR cars right now. A thing we love from the 90s.

Oh, and if they rere a chassis, they should rere tire sets and/or spare parts, too...

I'd love to see some IMSA and SCCA Cars with that List. I Raced IMSA about 100 years ago - and I'd love to recreate one or four in RC!!