Killajb

Why doesn't Tamiya make...

All this talk about various models... you know what Tamiya really needs?

A working website.

Honestly it's 2020 and the main Tamiya website and all of the regional sites are just embarrassing.

And what's with the regional distribution model? They're still making parts and distributing them in some regions but pretending they're discontinued in others. Look at the parts comparison between Tamico and tamiyausa.com as an example.

And ugh... tamiyausa.com... what a trash heap that place is. They must be running it from a first gen imac in some guys basement.

phew.. ok I feel better now. </rant>

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

WITH the 12mm Hex adapters.....

Still waiting on the shipment along with my front hex bearing adapters..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Why doesn't tamiya make cars closer to real ones in terms of construction and chassis. The same chassis style since they have started. A platform with electric parts and you put a hard cover or lexan shell on top.....that has nothing to do with real cars.It's just look alike. The closest to a real car was the Hilux and the Bruiser. Can't see many Monster Trucks on public roads and I would love to have a real looking bug based on the real bug chassis - scorcher is not bad but not close enough. A real car frame made from multiple parts. Even the big scale series doesn't have separate fenders. and with modern materials it still would be pretty strong.

That would be an innovation and clearly ahead of others.

• Like 2

Touch up pot paints or pens for PS Polycarbonate paints would be REALLY useful. I'm definitely getting better at spraying, but then your masking goes a little awry and you end up with gaps that are WAY too risky to try and address with a spray can. A touch up pot for the PS colour range would be super useful

IMG_7195.thumb.jpeg.4bd61e4f4e67d03c82c5ddc1965e512d.jpeg

IMG_7196.thumb.jpeg.76294c085193fbe08fedc3fe3e7a6e1b.jpeg

It would also help out when that final coat of Smoke tries to completely screw up your almost perfect shell :(

IMG_7197.thumb.jpeg.44b0494ae93f14b7e83ee92e8d47afae.jpeg

IMG_7198.thumb.jpeg.80e65abb9aaa5d5e3c6d550e44139564.jpeg

• Like 2

DEFINITELY Touch Up Polycarbonate PENS!! With fine points for just such jobs. 👍👍

• Like 1

The supplied ECSs lipo compatible!

It must now be clear to even Tamiya that nobody is going to use Life. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Xeostar said:

The supplied ECSs lipo compatible!

It must now be clear to even Tamiya that nobody is going to use Life. 

Definitely Lipo compatible WITH Cutoff!! 

• Like 2

Finally the wheels arrived..  still waiting on the adapters, but I managed to make some that will work until they do show up.

Bluefoot11.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Killajb said:

Finally the wheels arrived..  still waiting on the adapters, but I managed to make some that will work until they do show up.

Bluefoot11.jpg

They certainly look the part! So in your opinion, pending your adapters arriving, they definitely / should fit the Monster Beetle?

Actually, the wheels are a bit more narrow than stock.  I used Tamiya Frog re-re wheel adapters to get the rear wheel spacing needed, but the wheel nut barely threads onto the shaft.  So, not a direct fit without some additional fiddling.

IMG_20200901_203055.jpg

IMG_20200901_204039.jpg

IMG_20200901_203520 (2).jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/16/2020 at 9:17 AM, Juhunio said:

Has anyone found a silver / chrome / black wheel for the MB that actually fits?

I got the HPI Wheely Kings and Mud Thrashers to fit, but it took some work... 

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/91616-blackfoot-12mm-front-hex-mod-project/

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/91886-my-blackfoot-wheels-and-tires-ramble-aka-the-search-for-the-perfect-set/

Terry

• Thanks 1

I did this in another thread elsewhere but it bears repeating here.

I would really like to see Tamiya make a chassis kit of the GF-01.Hopefully with ball bearings

Or, at the very least, a 4wd Lunchbox or Pumpkin 

Why doesn't Tamiya make interiors anymore ? Just a simple dash and seat like in Bruiser would be great. I have to build a dash now one for my Wrangler, but can't do seats :mellow:

On 8/28/2020 at 7:47 AM, Carmine A said:

DEFINITELY Touch Up Polycarbonate PENS!! With fine points for just such jobs. 👍👍

Juhunio, Carmine. Tamiya did had Polycarb marker before but no longer available.

Maybe still available in certain countries.

1DAEE622-76DF-41AB-942D-44A6BBE800D4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, JYCM3 said:

Juhunio, Carmine. Tamiya did had Polycarb marker before but no longer available.

Maybe still available in certain countries.

They weren't much good though. The black one was excellent for simulating rubber on static model kits as it was slighty greyish.

The PC paints markers existed in the colours listed below and the hues were much closer to the PC than the PS paints:

88001 Tamiya Polycarb Marker PC 1 White
88002 Tamiya Polycarb Marker PC 2 Red
88003 Tamiya Polycarb Marker PC 3 Light Blue
88004 Tamiya Polycarb Marker PC 4 Blue
88005 Tamiya Polycarb Marker PC 5 Black
88006 Tamiya Polycarb Marker PC 6 Yellow
88007 Tamiya Polycarb Marker PC 7 Orange
88008 Tamiya Polycarb Marker PC 8 Light Green
88009 Tamiya Polycarb Marker PC 9 Green
88010 Tamiya Polycarb Marker PC10 Purple
88011 Tamiya Polycarb Marker PC11 Silver
88012 Tamiya Polycarb Marker PC12 Gold

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think it was discussed earlier in another thread, but it'd be nice, if tamiya made standard sized onroad/rally tires for 1.7 or 1.55 rims. Some bodies would benefit from it.

Also, some decent entry-level rally chassis. I found that MF01 would be pretty capable, if it had mid motor and proper (long arm) suspension.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/28/2020 at 2:57 PM, Juhunio said:

Touch up pot paints or pens for PS Polycarbonate paints would be REALLY useful. I'm definitely getting better at spraying, but then your masking goes a little awry and you end up with gaps that are WAY too risky to try and address with a spray can. A touch up pot for the PS colour range would be super useful

No need :) , just spray a little into the lid (using a straw to direct the spray) and then brush on. It's quite thin at first but if you give it 20 mins or so it thickens up.

decant-screengrab.thumb.jpg.366c16d5d204e52db8df78ec799a2c4f.jpg

https://youtu.be/QWFeN6FHcKA?t=503

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 9/2/2020 at 7:15 AM, Truck Norris said:

No need :) , just spray a little into the lid (using a straw to direct the spray) and then brush on. It's quite thin at first but if you give it 20 mins or so it thickens up.

https://youtu.be/QWFeN6FHcKA?t=503

Yeah, I did wonder if this will work. Thanks for sharing the video, I'll give it a go!

• Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 1:56 PM, Killajb said:

Actually, the wheels are a bit more narrow than stock.  I used Tamiya Frog re-re wheel adapters to get the rear wheel spacing needed, but the wheel nut barely threads onto the shaft.  So, not a direct fit without some additional fiddling.

IMG_20200901_203055.jpg

IMG_20200901_204039.jpg

IMG_20200901_203520 (2).jpg

So, the rims FINALLY arrived, and I got them to fit pretty well....I think!

I used a 15mm eBay version of the Frog hex adapter for the rear. It's 5mm shorter than the official Tamiya part, so allows enough of the thread through the hub for the lock nut to fully engage

Then Fastrax bearing hex adapters for the front, with a 1050 bearing and 5mm aluminium standoff on the outside of the rim behind the locknut. Seem to do the trick, but time will tell I guess!

IMG_7659.jpeg.dcc7af62284f0e10be92511a35ce5202.jpeg

Thanks for the tip on the RPM rims, first impressions are that they will definitely do the job :)

IMG_7658.jpeg.5ec52b90fd871e4dd5fd0085ae7a2014.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Luftstalag13 said:

They should be making those micron tapes for panel lines that Kyosho does. 

It's not the same as the micron tapes, but intended for the same purpose and a new release from Tamiya:

54973 Pin Stripe Stickers for Panel Lines

b4d63f89578aaf45c07a76f577dc4fd8.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

It's not the same as the micron tapes, but intended for the same purpose and a new release from Tamiya:

I saw these and I was going to get some, but it would be nice to know if these come precut. I do NOT want to to try cutting them out myself... I'll make a right mess of it I'm sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve always wanted Tamiya to produce a 1/12 scale static Porsche 917. I don’t know why they haven’t. 

• Like 2

On 9/24/2020 at 4:02 PM, Mokei Kagaku said:

Good to know, I will have to see how practical this is. Other than the aforementioned point that it is probably not pre-cut, I'd think this is not as durable as the Kyosho tapes, also the pre-determined length of these panel lines means more cutting and piecing together, I am guessing. Nevertheless, good to know and thanks!

• Like 1