Frog Jumper

ISO: off road 4wd kit with lots of hop-ups

I’m in the market for a 4wd truck to compliment my BF.  Not a crawler, but a backyard and street basher/racer with occasional beach driving.

But I also really enjoy installing hop-ups and mods and such.  This is where I find my enjoyment in this hobby - the build.

My Blackfoots (Blackfeet???) have been great in that regard. Lots of vintage and new bling.  Lots of issues to try to fix with mods.  Lots of fun.

Im eyeing the T-Scorcher at the moment. But what is holding me back is the lack of hop-ups. I imagine some of the old HotShot stuff might fit, but wasn’t the TS supposed to include all the hop-ups?

IMO, that takes all the fun out of it for me. Once it’s built, then what?  Drive it?  I’ll drive my cars, but I like tinkering with them more.

Recent talk about the Vanquish led me to the Varja.  But I’d be scared to run that with the lack of parts.

I need a good 4wd beater with lots of hop-ups and bling so I can modify the daylights out of it.

Any suggestions???

Who’s got my 4wd Blackfoot?

And yes it must be Tamiya...

Terry

It's difficult because the Hop Up craze really took off in the last 20 years or so, older stuff (so that includes re-re's) simply didn't have the support for your quest to tinker!

What body style are you wanting? Buggy, Truck or 1/10 touring size?

I live nowhere near a beach but if I did I'd want something like a Holiday Buggy or Sand Rover, whilst I appreciate these are 2WD the underlying DT02 is rugged and will put up with sand. Complex 4WD + sand equals problems (based on some cars I've restored, the sand gets everywhere!). DT02 offers lots of parts support (shares much with the DT03) and tinkering potential. 

Also with 2WD and sand you get sweet rooster tails :lol:

For the beach, a DT02/03 Is hard to beat, tonnes of hop ups,  cheap and plentiful parts for repairing etc, and who needs 4wd, when the front wheels are off the ground!?! 🤷‍♂️😁

2019-07-16_03-17-01

If 4wd is a must, a TT02B is probably the cheapest, as although fun, sand wears parts quick, so cheap ,easy to get spares must be a consideration.

Isn't there a WT01 or WR01 or something that is or can be built as 4wd? And that is also a successor to the ORV? You coukd probably mount a BF body too

The Top Force or Manta Ray seem to have a lot of hop up options available and are decent performers out of the box.

Otherwise I think @Wooders28 is on the money with the TT02B. Basically unlimited hop ups, but all that you'll need to do is the rear diff to handle a faster motor for beach running. The standard diff may even hold up since you won't have traction on sand anyway. I have found with mine that they run on grass fine, as long as you have new tyres. Once the spikes wear they just get stuck. Of course they don't wear on grass, so a set will last forever as long as you don't use them on asphalt.

I have done zero research, the idea just popped into my head...Comical Avante?

It would look cool, there are hop-ups available and you can play with wheels and arm lengths for different looks / performance.

Edit: almost talked myself into one there - only way I am likely to get an Avante!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

The standard diff may even hold up since you won't have traction on sand anyway

I was surprised how much grip I got with paddle tyres, although you need a fair bit of power to drive them, if you've ever ran on a beach, you'll know how much energy it zaps! 😤😂

If it's for bashing etc, keep it cheap, once you've got a load of money invested , all of a sudden you don't want to jump it as high/far and you want to cuddle it a bit more.

• Like 1

Thinking about something similar myself... The DT-03 looks good and isn't expensive. What's the 4WD equivalent of a DT-03?

1 hour ago, foz75 said:

Thinking about something similar myself... The DT-03 looks good and isn't expensive. What's the 4WD equivalent of a DT-03?

In terms of price point and target market, I'd say the TT-02B. 

• Like 1

Another vote for the WT/R01 trucks here. I got a twin detonator 2nd hand, aesthetically the chassis has been reincarnated numerous times as a Blackfoot,  Brat and a others plus you can hop it up, tinker and modify to your hearts content. Longer shocks toe in, camber, 4/2WD & 4WS are some of the options to play with. 

The thing that really Made me appreciate it was a day at the beach with another family & their boys ran it up & down the dunes jumps and climbs in the sand no problem, just a total workhorse & didn’t break a thing. 

They can be picked up for less than a new kit if you’re lucky in an auction.

• Like 1

True enough, @J@mes, I have three and my son loves his (the other two are loaners). I picked all of them up cheaply second hand. They are pretty old so some plastics can be brittle but if you can find something like an Amarok then you should be Ok.

https://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-1-10-wt01-volkswagen-amarok-custom-lift-ep-car-kit-w-esc-58603-00061838

It would be a good base for tinkering - longer arms, suspension upgrades, dual motor, 4Ws, etc.