rwordenjr

DT02 again

Sold my Sand Viper recently (I didn’t build it, bought it built but never used) and am looking to get a dt02 again. Question is, what’s the best stock variant as far as included parts ? Sand Viper? Fighter Buggy SV? Or are they the same ? 

Sand Viper and Desert gator are the better specced ones. The best variant is the DT-02MS, but good luck finding one in stock anywhere. The Fighter Buggy SV is basically a Fighter Buggy GR with a polycarbonate shell and nicer tyres, lacking the all-metal drivetrain parts.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry too much about the metal drivetrain parts, I've put a stupid motor in my Super Fighter GR and nothing has worn out drivetrain-wise even on 3S Lipo. Gearbox is pretty bulletproof.

CVA oil dampers or near equivalent and adjustable turnbuckles is really all you need to make a great runner. Add silly power and it likes to **** a wheel whilst turning under throttle, I think it's hilarious but you could probably dial out some understeer with some stabilizers if you were so inclined.

People fret about the damper towers but in my experience I've never had an issue (touch wood).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisRx718 said:

I wouldn't worry too much about the metal drivetrain parts, I've put a stupid motor in my Super Fighter GR and nothing has worn out drivetrain-wise even on 3S Lipo. Gearbox is pretty bulletproof.

CVA oil dampers or near equivalent and adjustable turnbuckles is really all you need to make a great runner. Add silly power and it likes to **** a wheel whilst turning under throttle, I think it's hilarious but you could probably dial out some understeer with some stabilizers if you were so inclined.

People fret about the damper towers but in my experience I've never had an issue (touch wood).

About $40 different right now between the same viper and fighter buggy sv. Latter is more expensive but it also comes with 3racing upgraded shocks 

• Like 1

The Nissan Titan is priced higher than the Sand Viper at Towers.  I think it has the oil filled shocks and 540 motor but not sure about the ball bearing.  

• Like 1

Are you after a kit, or a used one? I may let mine go, with a few hop ups. Mines a Sand Viper. Message me if it may be of interest to you, I'll send you some pics.

4 hours ago, Jontea said:

Are you after a kit, or a used one? I may let mine go, with a few hop ups. Mines a Sand Viper. Message me if it may be of interest to you, I'll send you some pics.

Kit but open. Sure send me pics 

from my understanding the sand viper kit is the best, avoid the pre built one as it has downgrades such as friction shocks no bearings etc and holiday buggy has similar stuff but also a 380 motor.

cannae go wrong with a sand viper kit, it is rare if i break any thing on mine and it is on 2s lipo with a 17 turn brushed motor and over ten year old  :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xzenonuk said:

from my understanding the sand viper kit is the best, avoid the pre built one as it has downgrades such as friction shocks no bearings etc

cannae go wrong with a sand viper kit, it is rare if i break any thing on mine and it is on 2s lipo with a 17 turn brushed motor and over ten year old  :)

Im thinking the desert gator kit. I like that body and wheels more than the sand viper one,. 

ah i have heard the gator has similar stuff out the box, just i have no experience of it  :)

edit:

just looked it up and aye looks good  :)

here is mine, same chassis :

HFRzwEE.jpg

awesome choice of chassis bud, it is one of my favourite ones and u can see it has been well used and over ten year old  :)

• Like 1

Agreed - it is a great little chassis, simple yet highly effective, capable of handling a fair bit of power. Here's mine:

2020-03-04_01-42-35

I run it on a 13.5t brushless, which I think suits it extremely well. Fast enough to be challenging without being impossible to control. 

• Like 4

Definitely agree with everyone about the DT-02. I don't know why, but the Gearbox is amazingly strong!!! I picked up a Holiday Buggy, 380, no bearings, no NOTHING - but only $89.95! 😁 

In the past 4 years, I've not been nice to it. It's just fun to bash - FAST! I've gone as much as a 4600kv Motor on 3S - and not even those Plastic Dogbones have appreciable wear. I was sure they were only going to last a week, after going Brushless. But No, she keeps coming back for more!! 👍👍

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, A-Baum said:

Can you even find a desert gator?

Yes from a few different places 

31 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

Definitely agree with everyone about the DT-02. I don't know why, but the Gearbox is amazingly strong!!! I picked up a Holiday Buggy, 380, no bearings, no NOTHING - but only $89.95! 😁 

In the past 4 years, I've not been nice to it. It's just fun to bash - FAST! I've gone as much as a 4600kv Motor on 3S - and not even those Plastic Dogbones have appreciable wear. I was sure they were only going to last a week, after going Brushless. But No, she keeps coming back for more!! 👍👍

I’ve had the dt02 before and still have the dt03, the dt02 seemed to be better for jumping. Not as narrow as dt03 so it doesn’t tip and roll over as much. 

• Like 2

Aye, the plastic dogbones and drivetrain parts are fine from a strength perspective. The advantage of the metal parts is that they are more compact, which means that you can get more travel out of the rear suspension before the arms start binding against the diff outdrives. It isn't a big issue though - there is enough travel for most driving conditions even with the limitations of the plastic parts.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2020 at 5:02 PM, rwordenjr said:

Kit but open. Sure send me pics 

Glad you turned me down on my offer, just been out for a thrash about, utterly fantastic buggy! 10.5t, 2s, 19t pinion, it's the one your parents told you to be wary of, an absolute hooligan!

Where have you found a Desert Gator, if you don't mind sharing?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jontea said:

Glad you turned me down on my offer, just been out for a thrash about, utterly fantastic buggy! 10.5t, 2s, 19t pinion, it's the one your parents told you to be wary of, an absolute hooligan!

Where have you found a Desert Gator, if you don't mind sharing?

eBay 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2020 at 8:26 PM, rwordenjr said:

I’ve had the dt02 before and still have the dt03, the dt02 seemed to be better for jumping. Not as narrow as dt03 so it doesn’t tip and roll over as much. 

..... And with the right Shocks, the DT-02 LANDS nicely too!  I found an old set of RC10 Shocks, rebuilt them, and this thing handles nearly as good as my old HB Buggy or RC10B4!!

• Like 1

..... I'm officially JEALOUS!!! 😲😧😁😁😜  Happy for you, but wish I could get one. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Carmine A said:

..... I'm officially JEALOUS!!! 😲😧😁😁😜  Happy for you, but wish I could get one. 

You can, they’re up on eBay 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

You can, they’re up on eBay 

I know.... I just don't have any money... 😞

3 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

I know.... I just don't have any money... 😞

I understand. Any cars you looking to sell? Sell and get something else. 

• Like 1