Sign in to follow this  
foz75

Painting help please!

Does anyone use a Sharpie or other permanent black marker instead of paint for detailing, either inside the shell before painting, or on the outside?

Have seen this on a few videos but not sure how good the results actually are. A couple of different sized permanent markers are surely cheaper than a full can of paint, would last for ages and would make masking easier?

And can anyone advise on how close ps-16 metallic blue and ps-59 dark metallic blue compare to ps-4 blue? 

Thanks!

PS4 is quite rich and dark when applied in a few coats. See the Terra Scorcher box art. You could probably re-create PS-59 by doing two - three light coats of PS4 then backing with silver then black. PS16 is lighter and translucent (although it's not specifically a translucent colour) and needs a backing coat of white or black or silver to be a 'solid' colour. If you backed PS16 with white, you'd get something close to PS4 but it would be metallic. Not as rich or deep though.

OK thanks, but I don't quite understand why I'd want to recreate PS59 with a few coats of PS4, then backing with two other colours?  Why not just use PS59?

3 hours ago, foz75 said:

OK thanks, but I don't quite understand why I'd want to recreate PS59 with a few coats of PS4, then backing with two other colours?  Why not just use PS59?

No reason, was a way I thought of illustrating the closeness of the match of the base colour. Given that you can't create a non-metallic from a metallic, it seemed to make sense to illustrate it that way.