Hage C

1/14 Tractor Truck Full Bearing Set Upgrade

Hi

Just got the 1/14 Actros 1851 and want to upgrade all metal bearing to ball bearing. As I read through the manual, I found out there are 2 metal bearing can't be changed to ball bearing on the Gear shaft B. (See below)

Also, for the steering shaft, should I upgrade to ball bearing or doesn't matter?

Beside these 2 areas, am I ok to upgrade all metal bearing to ball bearing? I don't understand why Tamiya provide some ball bearing in the kit but not all... 

Thanks!

gear shaft B.jpg

steering shaft.jpg

I always use full ball bearings in my trucks but I don’t change the metal bushings BD5 in the gearbox but I know some people have with out issue

i also use ball bearings in the steering too 

23 hours ago, topforcein said:

i have changed the lot in my 2 trucks  even the 2 they say not to 

you will buy the complete kit for it of e-bay here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAMIYA-56335-56342-Mercedes-Benz-Actros-1851-Giga-Bearing-Kit-COMPLETE/251732115068?hash=item3a9c673e7c:g:BE8AAOxy5rpSR-T6

Do you prefer ball bearing, rubber sealed ball bearing or Fluorine sealed ball bearing? Thanks!

42 minutes ago, Hage C said:

Do you prefer ball bearing, rubber sealed ball bearing or Fluorine sealed ball bearing? Thanks!

I normally use rubber shielded bearings where one face is exposed to the outside such as the front wheels, axle outer & diff pinions, anything fully enclosed go for metal shielded.

Have always followed the build manual advice about not replacing the 2 BD5 with BB's but have put BB's in the steering shaft BA27/28 

22 hours ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

I normally use rubber shielded bearings where one face is exposed to the outside such as the front wheels, axle outer & diff pinions, anything fully enclosed go for metal shielded.

Have always followed the build manual advice about not replacing the 2 BD5 with BB's but have put BB's in the steering shaft BA27/28 

I am thinking just to use regular ball bearings cause the rubber shielded and the metal shielded are pretty expensive. Don't know if that make a big difference? Btw, where do you use the metal shielded one?

11 minutes ago, Hage C said:

I am thinking just to use regular ball bearings cause the rubber shielded and the metal shielded are pretty expensive. Don't know if that make a big difference? Btw, where do you use the metal shielded one?

Not much difference to the cost between metal or rubber shielded bearings.

Use metal shielded bearings on the gearbox & axle internals where there is no exposure to external dirt.    

15 minutes ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

Not much difference to the cost between metal or rubber shielded bearings.

Use metal shielded bearings on the gearbox & axle internals where there is no exposure to external dirt.    

ok, thanks!