Quinster

Monster Beetle Steering

12 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

Yeah I'm going to concur with the Kimborough servo saver. I use them on a few of my buggies. My MB has one, I also mounted my servo in the center and used aftermarket cups, balls and steering links. It works really well.
The kit servo saver is trash. It was one of the first things I changed on my MB.

Do you have a pic of this set up? I’d love to see how it works.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lee76 said:

I assembled the one in a re-re sand scorcher and did find myself wondering if the designer of the saver and the entire linkage was on some sort of acid trip at the time.. the whole thing is bonkers It’s a bit like thinking I’d get better control with my chainsaw if I dangle it with some fishing rod. Still, I bought it for the looks anyhow :)  I’ll do some background reading on the Kimbrough ones mentioned, see what it’s all about. One things for sure, If and when I buy my next project (I’d love to get into crawling) I know I won’t buy anything without asking here for recommendations first! As always thank you for the support and feedback!

what he said ;) 

Thanks everyone - wealth of info.  Bought one of the Kimbrough’s - thanks for the link Silver-can.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Quinster said:

what he said ;) 

Thanks everyone - wealth of info.  Bought one of the Kimbrough’s - thanks for the link Silver-can.

No worries mate - just double check it is the correct spline tooth count for your servo as some are different to others 👍

• Like 2

@Lee76 when you're ready to get into Crawlers, please PM me. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can!! I've been wheeling Crawlers - all four types - for quite a few years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lee76 said:

Do you have a pic of this set up? I’d love to see how it works.

Hmmm, I'd love to show you a pic, but putting pics up on this site has always been a pain in the *******. If you have a suggestion for an easier way I'll try that.

2 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

Hmmm, I'd love to show you a pic, but putting pics up on this site has always been a pain in the *******. If you have a suggestion for an easier way I'll try that.

No worries, I only have a tablet, as it has a built in camera it’s just a case of taking a pic and hitting the plus button. I imagine it’s a bit more of a task if you have to do multiple devices.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lee76 said:

No worries, I only have a tablet, as it has a built in camera it’s just a case of taking a pic and hitting the plus button. I imagine it’s a bit more of a task if you have to do multiple devices.

It's not too complicated. The two struts that you mount the servo on, you can either drill new holes in those, or you can buy 3D printed struts with the holes you need on them. Either way you end up with the servo sitting central in the chassis. You'll need two steering links the same length, the original ones won't work..

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pablo68 said:

It's not too complicated. The two struts that you mount the servo on, you can either drill new holes in those, or you can buy 3D printed struts with the holes you need on them. Either way you end up with the servo sitting central in the chassis. You'll need two steering links the same length, the original ones won't work..

Sounds like one of those things where you wonder why it wasn’t like that in the first place :) 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lee76 said:

Sounds like one of those things where you wonder why it wasn’t like that in the first place :) 

Oh yeah!
Having said all that, if it's a re-re Beetle, you'll have to relocate the esc. I didn't find that a problem though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee76 said:

Tamiya was staying true to the original.... Notice there's 4 holes on each Cross Brace? It used to have to hold two Servos, the other controlling a Mechanical Speed Control.

I’d like to centralise the servo and put in the same-size steering links too. Is there a particular length of steering link I need(I’m a honking just the length of the current longest one) Anyone else got a pic?  Is there a way to do this without a servo saver?  
Last thing - is an MIP diff worth the money or should I just pop a washer in?

Cheers all.

#alwayswiththequestions

#notgotacluesorry

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quinster said:

I’d like to centralise the servo and put in the same-size steering links too. Is there a particular length of steering link I need(I’m a honking just the length of the current longest one) Anyone else got a pic?  Is there a way to do this without a servo saver?  
Last thing - is an MIP diff worth the money or should I just pop a washer in?

Cheers all.

#alwayswiththequestions

#notgotacluesorry

I'm using links that are around 45-50mm long. I'm also using Tamiya TRF  ball cup ends.

I have an MIP ball diff and it is good, works well for a lot of people and worth the money to get rid of diff hassles. I put the original diff back in though because it gave my car trouble with juddering in the rear wheels, not exactly sure why. I also have an Ampro rear wishbone set up, so it could be something to do with that.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Pablo68 said:

I'm using links that are around 45-50mm long. I'm also using Tamiya TRF  ball cup ends.

I have an MIP ball diff and it is good, works well for a lot of people and worth the money to get rid of diff hassles. I put the original diff back in though because it gave my car trouble with juddering in the rear wheels, not exactly sure why. I also have an Ampro rear wishbone set up, so it could be something to do with that.

Spot on.... I cut 48mm Rods from a length of 2mm All-Thread.

RPM Diffs do work well, but I've heard of a problem or two also. It often has to do with setting the Ball Diff preload too tight. However, that's not the only reason.  Despite the occasional juddering, they're a rock solid option! 

Of course if you want to eliminate all Diff problems.... You COULD source an original Brat Diff - or "Spool". Yup, a locked Diff! They're still available (in NON Covid19 HYSTERIA times), as new replacement Parts. Just another option...😉

I can also highly recommend the AmPro Engineering Double Wishbone Kit for those!! It's nearly a copy of the King Blackfoot Rear Suspension.

• Like 2

uETaYyf.jpg

Here’s a pix of my latest BF build.  CMC center steering plate v02, Kimbrough SS, vintage Parma zero-bump steer knuckles.  I’m not sure about the ball-links at the SS.  Likely vintage CRP or JG or similar.  Tamiya ball-ends at the knuckles.  Duratrax rods.

Depending on several factors, you’ll have to play with the rod length: type of ball connectors, position on SS, position at knuckle, position of SS.

I recommend buying cheap DuBro 1-5/8” rods and cutting them to length.  Once you get a good set-up and figure out the correct length, you can upgrade for something stronger.

Here is a link to CMC below.  He also sells a center plate designed to reposition the ESC.

Terry

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/custommetalcreations

————————————-

Edit to Add -

I noticed a typo in my post above.  The Dubro rods to get are 2-5/8”.  That’s approx 66.67mm for you Metric folks.  They are 4/40, or 2.36mm.  

https://www.dubro.com/products/4-40-turnbuckles

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

At this point, I’m going back to gear diffs in my BFs.  I have an MIP (never installed), several Thorps, and a Robinson (broken irreplaceable part). I’ve never been satisfied.

At the same time, the Bushy D (with its standard SBF tranny) has a gear diff and is solid as a rock.

For the MB, I recommend getting the new side plate brace and keep using the standard gear diff.

Terry

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

uETaYyf.jpg

Here’s a pix of my latest BF build.  CMC center steering plate v02, Kimbrough SS, vintage Parma zero-bump steer knuckles.  I’m not sure about the ball-links at the SS.  Likely vintage CRP or JG or similar.  Tamiya ball-ends at the knuckles.  Duratrax rods.

Depending on several factors, you’ll have to play with the rod length: type of ball connectors, position on SS, position at knuckle, position of SS.

I recommend buying cheap DuBro 1-5/8” rods and cutting them to length.  Once you get a good set-up and figure out the correct length, you can upgrade for something stronger.

Here is a link to CMC below.  He also sells a center plate designed to reposition the ESC.

Terry

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/custommetalcreations

Great post Frog guy.

I also designed and printed a stiffening strut set up for the front shock tower, it also helps the handling a bit.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Pablo68 said:

Great post Frog guy.

I also designed and printed a stiffening strut set up for the front shock tower, it also helps the handling a bit.

Thanks!

And we need pix of your set-up!!!  Less talky talky, more walky walky!!!

Terry

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

At this point, I’m going back to gear diffs in my BFs.  I have an MIP (never installed), several Thorps, and a Robinson (broken irreplaceable part). I’ve never been satisfied.

At the same time, the Bushy D (with its standard SBF tranny) has a gear diff and is solid as a rock.

For the MB, I recommend getting the new side plate brace and keep using the standard gear diff.

Terry

I had a Thorpe Diff and U-Joint Driveshafts WAY back. Never once had an issue.

I would LOVE to get the SBF Gearbox, and fit it to a Subaru Brat and a re-re Blackfoot!! I'm no slave to originality - I want GOOD! 😜 

....... I REALLY wish that Tamiya would re-re the SBF! ❤😁

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

I would LOVE to get the SBF Gearbox...

....... I REALLY wish that Tamiya would re-re the SBF! ❤😁

IMO, it’s worth buying a junk SBF just for the rear. I’m on the hunt at the moment myself..,

And yeah, ReRe SBF would be sweet!

Terty

• Like 3

If this works,

Here's two pics of my MB set up. I kind of fudged the hole locations to get the servo in. I 3D printed new struts for my Frog to do this.
You can also see the strut I 3D printed for the front tower.

Edit: Oh I forgot, you can also see TRF shocks, they make everything better.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frog Jumper said:

IMO, it’s worth buying a junk SBF just for the rear. I’m on the hunt at the moment myself..,

And yeah, ReRe SBF would be sweet!

Terty

That IS a great idea! Unfortunately, especially in Covid19 Hysteria, SBFs are sold like Unobtainium!! 😖😞  At least on Evilbay... I haven't found any worthwhile Parts for sale.

@Pablo68 That's NICE!! A must have for ORV Chassis Trucks! I'd sure have one. 😊

• Like 2

Cut the head off the plastic bull that comes on a Spanish wine. Glued it onto Albert Attaboys helmet and gave him a handlebar moustache - also put a bolt through his neck so he can swivel.  My daughter painted him. 

12F80DFF-1020-43B0-82A3-B01FF918105B.jpeg

• Like 3

"Spanish Albert" looks PERFECT!! 👌 Like the Gearbox Brace too, interested to see how it holds up.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

"Spanish Albert" looks PERFECT!! 👌 Like the Gearbox Brace too, interested to see how it holds up.

Alberto Attaboy ? :)  Muchas Gracias.

• Haha 3