jonboy1

Durga Dream Build

I'm afraid to say I couldn't subdue my self control any longer, so once I got the customs fee paid on the final part for this I had to start building it. :rolleyes:

So, going back a couple of months, I was feeling very left out by everyone else who seemed to be buying the entire stock of Tamiya Corp. and as we'd had to cancel our 20th wedding anniversary vacation, Mrs Jon thought we should treat ourselves to something nice. Never one to disappoint Mrs. Jon I duly obliged by getting straight on the interweb to see what was left. I have always loved the Durga - no idea why as it isn't a great looker, but then, neither am I, yet Mrs. Jon has kept me around for a long time - but the prices for them have gone really silly now, so I'd resigned myself to never getting one. I'd actually put a Zaahak in my basket and was adding hop ups when I saw they had a Durga at a very reasonable price. So out went the Zaahak and in went the Durga and to say I had a very silly big grin on my face would be a great understatement. :P

The next job was to start ordering hop-ups, as this was going to be my dream build. To say I've gone a little overboard might be fair. :rolleyes: So with the last part to be delivered tomorrow I thought it would be ok to start the build.

First job was to work out what what bits of the original kit I wouldn't need anymore. So first out was the chassis, as that's been replaced with a DB-01RR hop up carbon-reinforced item. Screwed to that were the aluminium suspension blocks, steering posts and heatsink.

I'm waiting for the gear diffs (I ordered 2 despite having a front one-way, as I figured things for this are becoming harder to find, so I may as well get things while I can) to come, so I couldn't build the rear end, so next job was to build the rear suspension mounts. Straight in the "unused" pile went the rear mount, and out came the carbon one :) Attached to that were a pair of aluminium damper bushings and this got mounted to the rear diff housing. Same up front, and here I installed the one-way diff and attached this to the slipper clutch via an uprated belt.

I've not added the hop-up motor mount as I'm not sure how much it's worth it. I need to look a little more closely into it, but the only thing I think it adds is the ability to mount the adjustable belt tensioners, but I need to check, unless anyone here can advise?

Following that I built up the steering arms using carbon filled hop-ups, and I have to say, what a joyous little set up it is! :wub: I just sat and pushed it from side to side for ages smiling to myself! Have I been in isolation for too long?

Anyway, here's some pics of it so far - apologies for not taking stage pics, but you can look at the manual if you're really interested ;) 

IMG_1578

All the hop ups used so far - don't worry, there are still more to come!!! ;) 

IMG_1579 IMG_1580 IMG_1586

Yes, I have made sure all the screw heads line up - as if I wouldn't!!! ;)

• Like 5

Grrrr, I want one soooo bad. But the Vanquish was just anounced!

Where's the titanium hex-head screws at? :lol: Can't be having those cross-heads on a high performance model!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Man the DB01 family are amazing!!!!! Why the heck did Tamiya cancel them?! Bring them back out!

I'm not allowed to buy another Tamiya for a year, wifey got me on lock down after my clod project! 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Howards said:

Alu suspension bits: yassssss

Stock forged motor mount: noooooo

:P:lol: Yeah I know!!

I remember reading a build review where they said the aluminium one wasn't finished as nicely as the forged one and wasn't really much lighter, so I wasn't sure the £40+ price was worth it. It does seem you can't mount the belt tensioners without it though, so it might well happen after all! ;) 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Where's the titanium hex-head screws at? :lol: Can't be having those cross-heads on a high performance model!

I think you need to stop talking now Chris! You know it's not fair to take advantage of those you know to be weak willed :P

• Haha 1

So, I built up the arms yesterday, using the A2 part little ball ends on each end of the rods.

image.png.8576b438c6bec86863bd5a8dc07ccbd8.png

I then decided that this just wasn't going to cut it, so have taken them off and ordered the TRF501 parts instead.

I couldn't progress any further than that as I need the rear diff which should arrive tomorrow, so I resorted to playing with what I had already. 

No, not that. :rolleyes:

This is where I have got confused and need some help I think (man this really is sounding bad isn't it)

The one way front diff: As far as I can tell, this should provide solid drive forwards, but no drive in reverse. I've built it up exactly as per instructions (you can't actually build it wrong as the mounting diameter for the pulley is bigger on the other side so it will only fit on one way) but the action seems to be reversed. So, if I rotate the pulley in a forwards direction I can hold the drive hubs still, effectively freewheeling. If I rotate the pulley backwards, the drive hubs are turned with it.

Am I going mad or is this backwards? Which leads to the next obvious question, how do I get it to work the right way? Do I have to press the bearings out and swap them around?

Can anyone help please?

1 minute ago, jonboy1 said:

So, I built up the arms yesterday, using the A2 part little ball ends on each end of the rods.

image.png.8576b438c6bec86863bd5a8dc07ccbd8.png

I then decided that this just wasn't going to cut it, so have taken them off and ordered the TRF501 parts instead.

I couldn't progress any further than that as I need the rear diff which should arrive tomorrow, so I resorted to playing with what I had already. 

No, not that. :rolleyes:

This is where I have got confused and need some help I think (man this really is sounding bad isn't it)

The one way front diff: As far as I can tell, this should provide solid drive forwards, but no drive in reverse. I've built it up exactly as per instructions (you can't actually build it wrong as the mounting diameter for the pulley is bigger on the other side so it will only fit on one way) but the action seems to be reversed. So, if I rotate the pulley in a forwards direction I can hold the drive hubs still, effectively freewheeling. If I rotate the pulley backwards, the drive hubs are turned with it.

Am I going mad or is this backwards? Which leads to the next obvious question, how do I get it to work the right way? Do I have to press the bearings out and swap them around?

Can anyone help please?

Did you buy the 501 one way or the DB01 version. Annoyingly they are different. I bought the 501 part because it was cheaper and i thought "the DB01 is just a plastic 501", but the diffs in each buggy are actually mounted off centre, but to different sides (pulley on the left in the DB01 IIRC), so the 501 pulley makes the one way runs backwards. I think the one way bits themselves are the same, you just need the DB01 pulley. 54023 is the part you need. 

• Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Did you buy the 501 one way or the DB01 version. Annoyingly they are different. I bought the 501 part because it was cheaper and i thought "the DB01 is just a plastic 501", but the diffs in each buggy are actually mounted off centre, but to different sides (pulley on the left in the DB01 IIRC), so the 501 pulley makes the one way runs backwards. I think the one way bits themselves are the same, you just need the DB01 pulley. 54023 is the part you need. 

:wub::wub::wub: Cy I could give you a very manly hug! You are completely right - I bought the TRF501 one way!! Thank you soooo much - you've just saved me from getting a couple more grey hairs ;) 

• Haha 2

Jon.... I'm excited to see this one!! Sure, the Durga isn't the best looker (I haven't looked good since MULLETS were actually in style!!), but IMO it's one of the finest Chassis ever created by Tamiya! 

I say that cautiously, because SOMEONE is going to bring up a TRF or MS Variant... But it's really a fine Chassis for its Price! Head to Head with the Kyosho Mid, and I think, more sophisticated. With all the re-res coming out, of the quirkiest Cars ever made - THIS is one that I'd sell Blood to get!!! Cheers 🍻 Mate!

• Like 1

Ok, issue number 3 has arrived on the scene now.

I received the gear diffs, and as I'm waiting for the replacement pulley for the one way to come (thanks again @ThunderDragonCy) I decided I couldn't wait any longer and built up both gear diffs and fitted them :) 

So next up was the driveshafts, which were upgraded to the double-cardan ones from TRF. The fronts went together a treat and popped into place perfectly with their supplied 3mm thick bearings. The rears too, went together a treat, but that's where the good part ended. The shafts seem to be too short! With the shocks fitted in the standard positions the inner ball is just touching the edge of the cup, and is completely disengaged from the drive pins/slots. It seems to me that instead of a set of front and rears it needs 2 sets of fronts, which are longer.

Have I done something wrong? :( 

• Confused 1

Jon, it's possible that to indeed got two Fronts. 😲  Never even SEEING one of those before, it's an educated theory..... 

You know, Cardans and CVDs are almost necessary for the Front, which has to move up and down, plus turn, sometimes sharply.  In the Rear however, they merely move up and down, good 'ol Dogbones would work a treat in the Rear. IF there's no other option. 😉 

Speaking of Dedication.... The parts you sent work PERFECTLY!!!😁😁 I cannot thank you enough! I'm wondering if I should add Foams to the Tyres. At least the Front... My old M Chassis Cars all had the standard HARD Tyres and no Foams. The ones you sent, are nice soft ones. You could PM the advise... I don't want to Threadjack!!😜

@jonboy1 thanks for the dedication-I will be following, learning and helping if necessary this build as my DB-01 brother 👍🏽

On 8/4/2020 at 11:44 AM, jonboy1 said:

I've not added the hop-up motor mount as I'm not sure how much it's worth it. I need to look a little more closely into it, but the only thing I think it adds is the ability to mount the adjustable belt tensioners, but I need to check, unless anyone here can advise?

It’s possible to add the belt tensioners to the standard motor mount as far as I’m aware. As a hopup I thought a little bit slack from Tamiya as they don’t supply the 950 bearings or any of the required fixings for installation.. also worth noting that they’re not really Belt tensioners but more of a ‘belt stay’ to stop the belt jumping off the centre pulley when using a high powered motor.

14 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

So next up was the driveshafts, which were upgraded to the double-cardan ones from TRF. The fronts went together a treat and popped into place perfectly with their supplied 3mm thick bearings. The rears too, went together a treat, but that's where the good part ended. The shafts seem to be too short! With the shocks fitted in the standard positions the inner ball is just touching the edge of the cup, and is completely disengaged from the drive pins/slots. It seems to me that instead of a set of front and rears it needs 2 sets of fronts, which are longer.

What shocks/positions are you using? The rear dogbones would drop out on mine until I fitted the shocks

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

So next up was the driveshafts, which were upgraded to the double-cardan ones from TRF. The fronts went together a treat and popped into place perfectly with their supplied 3mm thick bearings. The rears too, went together a treat, but that's where the good part ended. The shafts seem to be too short! With the shocks fitted in the standard positions the inner ball is just touching the edge of the cup, and is completely disengaged from the drive pins/slots. It seems to me that instead of a set of front and rears it needs 2 sets of fronts,

This is another DB01 quirk. The shock towers on earlier cars were really too low and allowed this to happen at full droop. I read about this and the fix is just rebuilding the shocks with a spacer under the piston to shorten them. If you find my DB01R thread it will be on there, but i used a shock o ring IIRC. They only solved it on either the RR or RRR with a slightly taller shock tower. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

This is another DB01 quirk. The shock towers on earlier cars were really too low and allowed this to happen at full droop. I read about this and the fix is just rebuilding the shocks with a spacer under the piston to shorten them. If you find my DB01R thread it will be on there, but i used a shock o ring IIRC. They only solved it on either the RR or RRR with a slightly taller shock tower. 

7 hours ago, gregdogghurst said:

@jonboy1 thanks for the dedication-I will be following, learning and helping if necessary this build as my DB-01 brother 👍🏽

It’s possible to add the belt tensioners to the standard motor mount as far as I’m aware. As a hopup I thought a little bit slack from Tamiya as they don’t supply the 950 bearings or any of the required fixings for installation.. also worth noting that they’re not really Belt tensioners but more of a ‘belt stay’ to stop the belt jumping off the centre pulley when using a high powered motor.

What shocks/positions are you using? The rear dogbones would drop out on mine until I fitted the shocks

Thanks guys! 👍👍👍👍I'd be totally stuck without your help :wub:

So this is what it looks like currently: 

IMG_1588

As you can see - I've fitted the carbon fibre hop up uprights, so to say I'm not impressed that they might be the cause of this would be a slight understatement! 

IMG_1589

Unless you spot some other glaring mistake I've made ;) :rolleyes:

41 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

glaring mistake I've made

DF03 shocks are really long. Chuck a spacer under the piston. A big spacer! 

• Thanks 1

@jonboy1 Ah, didn't realise you'd fitted DF03 shocks. They are 10mm longer than Aeration dampers. Put the short eyelet on the bottom, and some spacers inside to take them down to 93mm eye to eye length.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jonboy1 said:

@Howards and once again @ThunderDragonCy thank you!!! :) 

Will get the shocks shortened :) Do I need to shorten the fronts as well to keep the chassis flat?

No, front shocks are 75mm with the short eyelets, same as the aeration. The rears are weirdly long. Way longer than anything else Tamiya makes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Right - so following rebuilding the rear shocks with some spacers in as per @ThunderDragonCy and @Howards invaluable advice I got the rear gear diff and correct front one way (thanks again Cy) in place.  I then decided that I couldn't handle the ridicule from @Howards and bought an alloy motor mount and fitted that along with the alloy belt guides.  ;) 

With that waiting on the motor to arrive I fitted the TRF ball ends and then opened another Hop Up pack and fitted the front and rear anti-roll bars. B)

By now, I was just waiting on the motor, servo and ESC, so to satisfy my addiction I ordered some high carbon M parts (shock towers and front and rear suspension mounts) as I just can't find the alloy ones anywhere, and the thuoght of those suspension balls popping out unexpectedly with the car sat on a shelf was keeping me up at night :P

Finally the motor and servo turned up and I proceeded to get them fitted. I have to say, getting the motor pinion to mesh with the gear nicely is not an easy job, and I'm still not 100% happy with it. Unfortunately to tweak it means undoing 8 screws (you can get to the bottom screw without undoing them assuming you haven't fitted the aluminium tape, but not the top - not very service friendly.) 

So the inevitable stage arrived - the body. I think I'm very much in the minority as I love the shape of the Durga body, but I don't love the stock colours or stickers so much. I knew there would be blue in it, as I wanted it to tie in with the shocks, and I wanted the cockpit to be a different colour, but beyond that I wasn't sure, so I ended up just kinda making it up as I went along. I cut up some of the standard stickers and used sections of them and added a couple of extras - it's not quite finished yet as I want to add some clear to the outside of the wing, but I'm fairly happy with it for now.

Here's a sneak peak for now until I get the motor and esc wired up:

IMG_1609

• Like 5

Could someone please tell me what the love/hate relationship with the Durga is all about?  Nobody seems to just have a so-so opinion. I've never even seen one myself...

3 hours ago, Carmine A said:

Could someone please tell me what the love/hate relationship with the Durga is all about? 

There is no love/hate - its all love 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howards said:

There is no love/hate - its all love 

I hear that about 70% of the time..... 

Some People just have something against it, and I have no idea!! It never did anything to me! 😜😂