jonboy1

Durga Dream Build

5 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

Right - so following rebuilding the rear shocks with some spacers in as per @ThunderDragonCy and @Howards invaluable advice I got the rear gear diff and correct front one way (thanks again Cy) in place.  I then decided that I couldn't handle the ridicule from @Howards and bought an alloy motor mount and fitted that along with the alloy belt guides.  ;) 

With that waiting on the motor to arrive I fitted the TRF ball ends and then opened another Hop Up pack and fitted the front and rear anti-roll bars. B)

By now, I was just waiting on the motor, servo and ESC, so to satisfy my addiction I ordered some high carbon M parts (shock towers and front and rear suspension mounts) as I just can't find the alloy ones anywhere, and the thuoght of those suspension balls popping out unexpectedly with the car sat on a shelf was keeping me up at night :P

Finally the motor and servo turned up and I proceeded to get them fitted. I have to say, getting the motor pinion to mesh with the gear nicely is not an easy job, and I'm still not 100% happy with it. Unfortunately to tweak it means undoing 8 screws (you can get to the bottom screw without undoing them assuming you haven't fitted the aluminium tape, but not the top - not very service friendly.) 

So the inevitable stage arrived - the body. I think I'm very much in the minority as I love the shape of the Durga body, but I don't love the stock colours or stickers so much. I knew there would be blue in it, as I wanted it to tie in with the shocks, and I wanted the cockpit to be a different colour, but beyond that I wasn't sure, so I ended up just kinda making it up as I went along. I cut up some of the standard stickers and used sections of them and added a couple of extras - it's not quite finished yet as I want to add some clear to the outside of the wing, but I'm fairly happy with it for now.

Here's a sneak peak for now until I get the motor and esc wired up:

IMG_1609

That looks quite like my Top Force 😋

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peter_B said:

That looks quite like my Top Force 😋

ROFL!! I hadn't notice that until you said! :lol:

I really am a very unimaginative one-trick pony! 

• Haha 1

and before anyone kindly tries to say "I'm sure that's not true" I'm afraid it very much is everyone:

unnamed

which is which?

IMG_1608

🤣😂😋🙄😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think you should let me have that shell so that my Durga can look at home beside the TF :D

• Haha 2

I think you should let me have that DURGA so that it will look good under my shell !!! 😜😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

It's 99% finished!!! :blink::o:o:o;):P

Just need to get a Deans connector soldered on and it's ready for a push along the worktop with my finger (that counts as running right?!) :huh:

IMG_1610 IMG_1611 IMG_1613 IMG_1615 IMG_1616 IMG_1619

and finally, the money shot:

IMG_1618

but not quite enough money to include a sensor cable for the motor - I cannot believe it didn't come with one!!!! :blink:

I could do with seeing if I can work out a better route for the motor cables as they push up on the body but there really isn't much space anywhere under this thing!

I'll detail all the hop ups on my showroom, but for now, for those wondering - this many:

IMG_1621

:blink:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is there another set of mounting holes on the motor that would allow it to be rotated 90 degrees?

If there is you would then be able to shorten the motor cables.

1 hour ago, Peter_B said:

Is there another set of mounting holes on the motor that would allow it to be rotated 90 degrees?

If there is you would then be able to shorten the motor cables.

Yeah I think there are 6 sets of mounting holes - I went for this to try and keep the connections away from the body so they don't scratch or melt the paint. I think I could do a bit of trimming of the wires as it is, but it's still going to be tight!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

Yeah I think there are 6 sets of mounting holes - I went for this to try and keep the connections away from the body so they don't scratch or melt the paint. I think I could do a bit of trimming of the wires as it is, but it's still going to be tight!

Whack a bit of aluminium tape or something on the body, in the area of the motor, to protect the paint from scratches etc.

Am taking note for when I get my Durga out of the box and fit electrics in. Although I might well fit a Speed Passion motor (that has the connections on the end bell rather than at the side like yours) so hopefully wouldn't have the same issue.

27 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

I went for this to try and keep the connections away from the body so they don't scratch or melt the paint

Yeah. It's tricky to get the inside of these neat. Needed a couple of attempts at mine. 

There's also naff all air flow with the Durga body so heat can be an issue. 

They fixed this stuff with the Baldre shell. 

2 hours ago, Howards said:

Yeah. It's tricky to get the inside of these neat. Needed a couple of attempts at mine. 

There's also naff all air flow with the Durga body so heat can be an issue. 

They fixed this stuff with the Baldre shell. 

Yeah I can see me tinkering with it a bit more

I was thinking I may cut the vents in the body to get some more air in

image.thumb.png.18df579ad8e5bd34c0e13bc16987a179.png

Obviously this means it's a lot more open to dust etc, but I could put some mesh inside I guess?

• Like 1

I'd say compromise, and cut the vents on the Motor side only... To minimize dust. 

And, I don't have any illustrations to help - but if you resoldered the Motor Wires so they ran flush across the back of the Motor, clearance issues should be gone. 😉