burakol

What's next to build?

What to build next?   

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For the past few weeks after I've refreshed my HotShot, I've been trying to slowly work on my 3printed M03 Mini shell but this will take much more time. Right now I have the following kits waiting to be built and wanted to get some opinion from you guys. All will be running stock for the moment except for ball bearings. Hop ups and upgrades will probably be done later on, on a as-needed basis. 

Of all 4, I'm really only waiting for a part to come in for the Terra Scorcher (hinge pins), all the rest should be ready to be built. 

And please, feel free to suggest any tips for the choice of build that I can reference to. Thanks much for your input. 

What are you going to do when you've built them?  Go racing?  Bash in your back garden?  Go out to some nature trails or some rocky climbs?  Put them on a shelf and admire them?  Or just enjoy the build?

I don't have a Dynahead, but I love my Konghead (with modified King Blackfoot body).  With a mild brushless setup it's an absolute riot around the garden and in smaller bash sites.  Probably my favourite runner.  But I expect the Dynahead will be a lot slower and demand a more technical driving area to give the full driving experience.  I'm not sure if you'd need anything beyond basic electrics to get the best from it - usually I'd recommend a crawler-specific motor in a crawler type chassis but it already has portals and the extra speed from the silvercan might give a good compromise between crawling and traversing between crawls.

Super Astute - if you haven't built one before, it's a great build.  A huge departure from anything else Tamiya was doing around the time.  When I started building mine for racing, I was advised to get the Fibre Lyte chassis and shock towers and a load of 3D printed parts to replace all the weak points with press nuts, but others in the vintage race scene say they've been racing Super Astutes for years and never had problems, so I didn't bother.  I just grabbed a spare parts tree to cover the worst offenders just so I don't have to abandon a race day too early.  I did get the Fibre Lyte chassis but it's probably not necessary even for racing.  The front shocks are too short for modern tracks and you might have issues if you land big jumps but otherwise it's a good runner.  I haven't had a chance to drive mine much - it's too fast for my lawn and I don't have a vintage buggy race until September - but it feels very responsive and lively, like a top-end 2wd buggy should.,

CC01 - what can I say, I love these.  Plenty of opportunity to do a nice paint job - paint it up like a car you'd see on the street, or give it a rally raid paint scheme, a Dakar scheme, an overloaded expedition scheme, a rough-and-ready green lane scheme - any of those will look great.  I would advise fitting an aftermarket steering assembly before you build, as the steering tube will wear with the standard steering and if it goes too floppy you'll have to replace the entire chassis tub before you can fit the aftermarket assembly later.  Some assemblies are better than others but I can't remember who is the recommended brand - it's worth a search.  Also look up how to shim the rear axle - a lot of shimming can be done with kit bushes if you're fitting bearings but you might need some washers also, which are not part of the CC01 kit and not common in other Tamiya kits.  This aids rear gear mesh and extends the life of the crown and pinion.

Terra Scorcher - sorry, can't help with this as I've never built one, but it will probably make an excellent basher or vintage racer, if that's your thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Mad Ax - thank you for your insight.  I am more after the build and some light runs here and there. I dont have any experience in any crawling or trail scene... I guess I'm looking for the build experience and custom mods that does not cost much more than what I already have at my disposal... as for parts, since you suggested building the CC01 with upgraded steering in the get-go, then I think I have to wait until I can order parts. I know @Nicadraus did suggest getting a Hot Racing brand. 

All are good choices. The CC-01 might be a little simple, though. It doesn't really have the unique features that the others have, and stock performance is limited. Still a fun kit.

I didn't vote, because I'd happily build any of 'em.

1 hour ago, A-Baum said:

I thought you were selling the SA ;)

If you want it? I'm not posting it, but I'm still on the fence if is should open it. 

Although, something drastic happened a few moments ago with my Manta Ray... it's in two separate pieces right now so I might need to find some extra source of funds to get it fixed... head on collision is never good on any RC.