jeninjohnk

stainless steel paint color for a Delorean build?

has anyone come up with a paint color/combinations that will give you the color of stainless steel??  i have a Delorean body but having a hard time finding a color that will work/close to stainless steel. thanks

try a body shop suppliers they should be able to make up that colour in a rattle can

as long as they have a reference to copy off they should be able to make it 

Surprised no one suggested PS-48 Silver Anodized Aluminum!

There's no flakes, just pure aluminum "color". I think it would look very close to the stainless finish on the Delorean :wub:

Screenshot_2020-08-05 Rextreme_RC_666686_39__79803 1498791619 jpg (JPEG Image, 1280 × 914 pixels).jpg

Screenshot_2020-08-05 ps-48-alu-silver-chrom-polyc-100ml-300086048_02 jpeg (JPEG Image, 1000 × 833 pixels).png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, OCD said:

There's no flakes, just pure aluminum "color". I think it would look very close to the stainless finish on the Delorean :wub:

Screenshot_2020-08-05 Rextreme_RC_666686_39__79803 1498791619 jpg (JPEG Image, 1280 × 914 pixels).jpg

Screenshot_2020-08-05 ps-48-alu-silver-chrom-polyc-100ml-300086048_02 jpeg (JPEG Image, 1000 × 833 pixels).png

In the first pic it seems a bit too mirror finish to me, but with flat clear on the outside, this could give the look!:)

Or switch to red! Some Deloreans were also painted red...:lol:

2 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

Not from the factory.

Dealers painted some I think but delorean didn't paint any cars.

They do look good painted though! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graemevw said:
3 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

Not from the factory.

My boss at the bodyshop BITD used to say if someone saw a painted Delorean, they were looking at one that had been in an accident...

• Haha 1

Just now, Saito2 said:

if someone saw a painted Delorean, they were looking at one that had been in an accident...

I've never had a car accident....

I always did it on purpose.    :)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Saito2 said:

My boss at the bodyshop BITD used to say if someone saw a painted Delorean, they were looking at one that had been in an accident...

I think some America  dealers painted them, and Delorean had 3 painted as prototypes.

About 20 years ago I saw one for sale in the UK that was said to be the one frank delorean went to court in. It was dark red and had a cream leather interior (it was about 10k incidently, more than they normally were).

No idea why it ended up painted though.

• Like 1

I don't know if it has been mentioned already,, but front and rear "caps" were of plastic and just painted a colour similar to stainless steel. For an authentic looking model, these parts of the body should ideally be painted a darker and somewhat less metallic grey.

• Like 1

i have tried ps-12 backed with black+white.. i have ps-48 and ps-63 on the way. so far from all the google pics i can find ps-48 is going to be it but we will see. my painting skills are ok at best.:)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, graemevw said:

I think some America  dealers painted them, and Delorean had 3 painted as prototypes.

That's quite possible. I'm pretty sure they were all unpainted when they left the factory at least, except for the gold ones.

19 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

That's quite possible. I'm pretty sure they were all unpainted when they left the factory at least, except for the gold ones.

I've read delorean didn't even have a paint shop, bumpers etc were bought in ready painted.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OCD said:

Good shout, PS48 backed with PS23 or similar would get my vote. I used PS48 backed with white & that doesn’t look like stainless steel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeninjohnk said:

i have tried ps-12 backed with black+white.. i have ps-48 and ps-63 on the way. so far from all the google pics i can find ps-48 is going to be it but we will see. my painting skills are ok at best.:)

The PS-63 is pretty much standard as far as polycarb paint goes. Start with a light coat and then a couple of regular coats will give a nice result. Tamiya's PS metallics are decently opaque and  shouldn't give you too much trouble.

PS-48 is a bit different. The "anodized" paints are notoriously tricky to apply. It's far less opaque (very little pigment if any at all), extremely thin, and takes a fair number of very light coats to be solid enough for backing. I've tried both PS-5 black and PS-12 silver backings and found both work well. The black gives a deeper shine than the silver however. Hope this helps :)

• Like 1

I would have thought the closest you could get to the finish on a delorean is to use a brushed steel wrap.

As has been stated they were bare metal but the stainless steel was then brushed - not polished. Stupid idea really stainless steel weighs more than normal steel used for car bodies so you are making the car heavier.

Anyway what about something like this?

https://www.wrapdirect.com/brushed-silver-aluminium-vinyl-with-adt/

Have no idea how well it would stick to the body and really you want brushed stainless not aluminium, sure someone would sell stainless version somewhere.