Sign in to follow this  
dave.723

Monster Racer A&L Lethal Weapon transmission

Hej Everyone,

my monster racer is still slipping and the transmission will soon fall apart. Now I got this chance to get my hands on a A&L tranny.

My question are ...
will it really fit the monster racer as it actually says for astute ? (I am running universals)
will it hold up ?
and how long will it last to rebuild the ball diff ?
and are spares available to do that ?

I am thinking running it on a 3000KV BL or something like a GT tuned.

Many thanks
David

5 hours ago, dave.723 said:

and i forgot to mention that it is the nr. 208 kit.

A&L is kind of still around although they are now called "Factory Works"  www.factoryworks.com  

They do list some parts for Lethal Weapon transmissions although the complete Tamiya versions are discontinued.

They list the Astute version as kit no.199 and the King Cab/Monster Racer as kit no.198 so there might be some differences between the two.

I'd contact them with any question you might have.

• Like 1

Those FactoryWorks people are also cloning vintage JG MFG parts.  More power to them I say...

Terry

• Like 1

I can't help with the diff question sorry, but I have bought a chassis kit from Factoryworks and Geoff is a top fella and the quality of the chassis kit is superb.

• Like 1

Just my recommendation, the way to go is the super Astute Rere trans. You can piece it together for less than 100 us.  The benefits are: a differential that is bulletproof and can be tuned with differential putty, great selection of gear ratios if you use Tamiya or RC10 associated standard 48 pitch gears, and a slipper clutch.  

I did this for the Kingcab that I built for my son.

I have this transmission on my King Cab.

You must to cut the rear end of the chassis.
Other issues are related with the transmission.
I needed to shorten the diff cups to not limit the suspensions movement.
The part is rough but really strong.
When I purchased it there were no alternative, today I would have a different decision.

Max

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kontemax said:

I have this transmission on my King Cab.

You must to cut the rear end of the chassis.
Other issues are related with the transmission.
I needed to shorten the diff cups to not limit the suspensions movement.
The part is rough but really strong.
When I purchased it there were no alternative, today I would have a different decision.

Max

That's really interesting to know Max, and has answered a question I've had in the back of my head for a while. The KingCab I bought earlier in the year had a section of the rear chassis removed and for the life of me I couldn't work out why they would have done that - now I know why! They must have had an AL Lethal Weapon transmission fitted! :) 

Have a look at here, old and bad pictures, sorry, and you don't see too muck.
Another issue of A&L transmission: the motor must turn reverse and no gear reduction inside, due the lack of the iddle gear so with bigger tires you can't have the correct final gear ratio, you are always a little bit too low.
As I said I'm not particularly happy of this belt transmission but there was nothing better at the era.
If I will come back to the hobby I will replace this transmission with another one.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=52319&id=24

Max

• Like 1