Sign in to follow this  
xzenonuk

durga steering slop

heya, had a look at my durga the other day as it was steering funny and not true no matter how i do the trim, i have added some spacers on parts of the steering assembley and reduced the slop a tiny bit but the main part of looseness remains, i also took the servo out and made sure it was tight on the servo saver.

it looks like part way up the steering assembly there is a turn buckle which is causing all the slop, the small one that goes under the main chassis brace, all the looseness is there.

what should i buy or do to get rid of this problem?

any help appreciated  :)

my 2 cents is buggies steering is meant for off road ive tried to tune in buggy steering but u cant make a buggy an on road car. . perhaps the performance guys can help but ive never been able to make a buggy street worthy.

36 minutes ago, Finnsllc said:

my 2 cents is buggies steering is meant for off road ive tried to tune in buggy steering but u cant make a buggy an on road car. . perhaps the performance guys can help but ive never been able to make a buggy street worthy.

when it is driving i have to constantly adjust trim, not sure what is going on apart from the default steering assembly has a fair bit of wobble at one point, i have tons of buggys more so than trucks or monster trucks, the durga is the only one doing this  :(

edit: it also randomly steers to one direction suddenly, it is on it's second fully working servo as well and different rx's  :(

got about 12 buggies only the durga is exhibitin this behaviour, seems the more throttle i give it results in random hard steers when it should be in a straight line, differnt esc rx servo all result in the same thing :(

thinking the steering assembly.

so u need to look at the front wheels. shim them up or adjust the turnbuclkles. look at the hex on the front wheels. are the wheels loose on the axle?  also where are u running the buggy? in the street? if you are trying to tune the steering on a road that has a curve to the curb then u cant. flat surface is needed. that can be a hard thing to find. 4wd is another thing. those front wheels need to be nuts on. but, on dirt it doesnt matter. close is good. have u ran the db01 on  loose terrain? 

• Like 1

yes but it seems to be a problem with the stock steering assembly mechanically, i have put a stock silver can in it for the moment and my garden is rough and very loose terrain.

im just wondering if it is worth buying a alloy part or two to eliminate the slack, i have a nice flat surface out side my garden, the steering is just wonky on this db-01, there is play on the wheel axles as well but only slight but nothing major, all the play is coming from the turnbuckle that goes under the main chassis brace.

the db01 hasnt even been used much compared to my other tamiyas and is still on stock wheels and stock metal hexes which are super thin.

i can fix any wheel wobble easy what i cant fix is the steering assembly wobble  :(

tuning in the front wheels has always been my problem on buggies. u gotta mess with it. lots of guys on here are better than me. im gonna build mt reg durga soon. perhaps ill see yhour prob. im still tuning in my rrr

30 minutes ago, Finnsllc said:

tuning in the front wheels has always been my problem on buggies. u gotta mess with it. lots of guys on here are better than me. im gonna build mt reg durga soon. perhaps ill see yhour prob. im still tuning in my rrr

both front wheels have some tow in :)

pro tip do not build a durga, it is stupidly high maintenance, 4 wheel drive belt drive is the least of the problems, ball diffs front and rear..... do not touch them, stupidly high maintenance  :(

i would not of bought my durga years ago if i knew just how much maintenance it needed, my hyper 7 nitro is easier to run.....

I have no idea what one of these looks like steering setup wise, but I can tell you what I did with mine to stop steering issues. I kept waggling the wheels back and forth by hand and isolated where the play was coming from, for me it was a ‘steering arm’ that sat between the servo turnbuckle and the steering turnbuckle themselves, managed to get in a few 0.2 shims in there and reduced the play considerably, and removed the servo saver!

I haven’t had the servo go on me yet.

• Like 1

My DB01 tracks dead straight on grass and rough ground. A lot to do with the immense amount of rear toe-in I guess. 

Something is wrong on yours. Agree the steering is a bit sloppy - mine wiggles on the brass steering bushes a bit but that's it. 

If your diffs are funky it can cause the car to pull to one side. 

Are you using the stock high-torque servo saver?

• Like 1

yeh i have the stock servo saver on it :)

about the only mod on it is the tamiya slipper clutch if i recall.

edit: it has been a long time since i looked in the diffs.... i hate those diffs with a passion though lol

guess ill have a look at them soon, could be that cheers guys  :)

The stock servo saver isn't doing you any favors. If you've using a mid-range or better servo, I'd use an aluminum horn to gain some precision, and install bearings in the bellcranks.

4WD buggies seem to prefer a smidge of toe out up front. They won't track straight with toe in, and plow at corner entry.

Carbon reinforced or aluminum bellcranks are stiffer and more precise, and hard/reinforced ball cups and steel balls develop slop more slowly. 

I'd start by removing the steering turnbuckles and steering link, then checking the steering knuckles for slop and freedom of movement, then do the same for the bellcranks. Check the output spline of the servo for slop, and replace the bearing if necessary. Any binding in the steering or suspension will cause erratic handling.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Big Jon said:

The stock servo saver isn't doing you any favors. If you've using a mid-range or better servo, I'd use an aluminum horn to gain some precision, and install bearings in the bellcranks.

4WD buggies seem to prefer a smidge of toe out up front. They won't track straight with toe in, and plow at corner entry.

Carbon reinforced or aluminum bellcranks are stiffer and more precise, and hard/reinforced ball cups and steel balls develop slop more slowly. 

I'd start by removing the steering turnbuckles and steering link, then checking the steering knuckles for slop and freedom of movement, then do the same for the bellcranks. Check the output spline of the servo for slop, and replace the bearing if necessary. Any binding in the steering or suspension will cause erratic handling.

thank you, loads of things to check now and it does have a fair bit of toe in on the front :)

15 hours ago, Big Jon said:

The stock servo saver isn't doing you any favors.

Interesting - my experience of the high torque saver is that it's pretty rigid and precise compared to the old white plastic version (that I'm always super gluing together to remove the slop).

27 minutes ago, Howards said:

Interesting - my experience of the high torque saver is that it's pretty rigid and precise compared to the old white plastic version (that I'm always super gluing together to remove the slop).

The high torque servo saver is a million times better than the white plastic job, but powerful, fast off-road cars easily overcome it, and the front wheels flop around in the rough.

not got around to it yet ended up part rebuilding the sandviper with spare chassis, gears, gear box etc

i remember i checked the black servo saver for any movement and it was on solid also gave it a wee tighten last time just incase and only running a stock silver can atm i am unsure what the actual servo is, nothing special just a standard plastic geared i think :)

im confident i will get it sorted thanks to all the good advice here, cheers guys  :)  

3 hours ago, Big Jon said:

but powerful, fast off-road cars easily overcome it, and the front wheels flop around in the rough.

Something to look out for I guess. 

find it weird that the DB01 didn’t have an Adjustable integrated saver like the DN01/201.

• Like 1

Howards, I wonder the same. The Durga is a fine piece, and a servo mounted saver is an odd choice for such a nice car. I use servo savers on all my on-road and rally cars and vintage stuff, solid horns on everything else, with a servo over-spec for the application. I really like the feeling of precise control, so electronics are something that I budget for.

Are your diffs ok?  If not assembled correctly you may be getting eratic drive to each wheel.  Also check your toe in, if your wheels are toed out it makes steering much more twitchy

• Like 1