Quincy

Quincys FF-01addiction

Just have been recognizing, that it is 15 years ago, I registered here on tamiyaclub. So it seems that it all comes full circle...

Because also 15 years ago I owned a Tamiya FF-01, almost stock and just equipped with ball bearings. Unfortunately I sold it 2008. Actually I had planning another vintage project, but then wtcc5 came up with an idea of building a FF-01. I always liked the car and I know it quite performs well, so the decision was taken. These FWD cars aren`t very rare, but the Hop-Ups and original bodys are. So I was quite happy, to get one in good conditions. Now a few weeks later I have nearly all parts i want to (except the Upgrade Special Version, but this is a different story).

I  even found a picture of my first FF-01:

spacer.png

Long long time ago... and this is my current one:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just have been making some Upgrades since the last race day and changed the TRF damper to this beautyful golden ones an equipped it with original neon springs. Setup ist nearly the same and the car is also well balanced for schoolyard racing.

spacer.png

There is only one thing I don`t really like, it is the civic body. I guess I already mentioned, that it is hard to find original Tamiya FWD bodies, so it was even a challenge to get my hand on a NIB body set. Unfortunately the box was mouldy and the content started to suffer from the bad storage, but it is an official Tamiya spare part for the FF-01:

spacer.png

Body is already painted, but the decals have to be done...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I approve!  I love the FF-01 chassis.  I have a couple here (as well as a spare parts car) - a shelf queen Calsonic Primera Upgraded Special that I built from NIB back around 2008, and a runner Calsonic Primera that I bought from someone on here, which I use for vintage racing.  I usually put on a different body for racing - this year I have a couple of L&L Models Accord shells to paint.  I might race it in the Classics class at Stafford next weekend, in place of my TL-01LA.  It will probably get a run at the Iconic one-day vintage meet at West London the weekend after, as I'm entered in the FF Touring class, but unfortunately the FF-02 will probably get most use due to gearing.

Because, while the FF-01 is clearly the superior chassis in terms of design and layout and, well, everything, the FF-02 has taller gearing - so on a longer track, it wins.  Provided you can keep it on the black bit around the corners, which isn't too hard on class-legal motors, the FF-02 has enough gearing to blast the FF-01 into the weeds on the straight.  Unfortunately we can only run standard gears in Iconic events.

• Like 2

Nice to see another FF fanatic. I'm really glad to see more and more FF guys here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@Mad Ax Does the elusive TA02 High Speed Gearset not fit the FF01? 

I have a sneaking suspicion that it does, but the point is moot - "standard" gearing only for vintage touring classes.  Hop-up / aftermarket gearing not allowed, except where it is a direct replacement and the gearing is unchanged.

You are, however, free to shoehorn in as big a pinion as you can manage, provided you don't modify the gear case in any way (no lengthening the slots or grinding out the casing from inside)

37 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that it does, but the point is moot - "standard" gearing only for vintage touring classes.  Hop-up / aftermarket gearing not allowed, except where it is a direct replacement and the gearing is unchanged.

You are, however, free to shoehorn in as big a pinion as you can manage, provided you don't modify the gear case in any way (no lengthening the slots or grinding out the casing from inside)

That seems really arbitary when they could make a specific exception for that chassis. Iconic rules are weird

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

I approve!  I love the FF-01 chassis.  I have a couple here (as well as a spare parts car) - a shelf queen Calsonic Primera Upgraded Special that I built from NIB back around 2008, and a runner Calsonic Primera that I bought from someone on here, which I use for vintage racing.  I usually put on a different body for racing - this year I have a couple of L&L Models Accord shells to paint.  I might race it in the Classics class at Stafford next weekend, in place of my TL-01LA.  It will probably get a run at the Iconic one-day vintage meet at West London the weekend after, as I'm entered in the FF Touring class, but unfortunately the FF-02 will probably get most use due to gearing.

Because, while the FF-01 is clearly the superior chassis in terms of design and layout and, well, everything, the FF-02 has taller gearing - so on a longer track, it wins.  Provided you can keep it on the black bit around the corners, which isn't too hard on class-legal motors, the FF-02 has enough gearing to blast the FF-01 into the weeds on the straight.  Unfortunately we can only run standard gears in Iconic events.

Wow, a Calsonic runner :wub: I hope L&L will soon offer a Primera. It is a shame we have to handle the Primeras like the treasures they are (I mean shelfing).

• Like 1

Matching to your posts, I have finished my runner body today. But one by one, first I started with the assembling of the wheels. We have choosen the Tamiya Type B and hard inserts. They feel really sticky and I am excited about the performance.

spacer.png

Next step was fitting the body... What could I say, I love the look of the Alfa. And yes this will be my racing body as well. On the schoolyard we have a lot of space und just a few driver, so the body will probably last for a long time.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

Sehr sehr geil! I was just wondering what body will fit for these wheels 😁👍🏻

• Like 1

Since the beginning of this FF-01 fever, I am in love with the Jaccs Accord. Later on a friend told me that this is also an Special Edition called "Upgrade Special". So I had no other choice than building this in original Upgrade Special Version.

Fortunately you can still get all the parts needed for that edition. All parts? No sorry one part isn`t available and have been never available (except the two Upgrade Special boxes). It is the blue anodized Motor heat sink.

But sometimes you be fouvered by fortune and so I got a blue motor heat sink from japan. At the same time a good friend of mine wanted to build the Nissan Primera as a Upgrade Special, too. So perhaps some of you know this guy. He is a little impatient, so I gave him this heat sink, knowing there will be another one... one day... somewhere in this world.

And the day has come, but I didn`t only get a blue anodized heat sink, I got a whole Tamiya FF-01 Jaccs Accord Upgrade Special!!! Unfortunately it is in a very bad shape, especially the body. But Beggars can’t be choosers.

spacer.png

What the badword happened to this body shell???

spacer.png

It must have been storaged for years in a place I never wanna be...

spacer.png

But it is equipped with some nice Hop-Ups and the "BLUE anodized Heat Sink"

spacer.png

Next step ist cleaning and disassembling.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Fortunately most of the Hop Up parts are aluminium 😰

Very nice auction win 👍🏻

I am looking forward to your disassembly. Does it come with carbon tubes and aluminium diff plates 🤤

• Like 1

Cleaning was a real mess. Unfortunately the most plastic parts are damaged or scratched. But over the weeks a lot of spare parts for the FF-01 have accumulated, some other parts are newly ordered.

spacer.png

So Re-Building can be started, but not without the original Manual:

spacer.png

Let`s begin...

spacer.png

Fortunately I can restore all the special parts from the Upgrade Special, like the springs, Aluminium Kingpins and of course the blue anodized motor heat sink. Building was a real pleasure and really goes ahead quickly.

The completed rear:

spacer.png

And front:

spacer.png

Of course with a black Sport Tuned:

spacer.png

After the building there are some nice Hop-Ups remaining

spacer.png

Finally we did it

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Only the body needs to be replaced, but a new one is on it`s way.

• Like 7

Mega build. So lovely! Looking forward to the body set and then its full appearance! And then we need to make a fotoshooting 😍

• Like 1

Breaking News: The new Jaccs Accord Body has arrived!

spacer.png

Cutting and painting are done quickly. Just white (PS-1) for the body and smoke (PS-31) for the windows. The wing and mirrors are painted with TS-29 like Tamiya recommended. At this point I save you from pictures, so you don`t get bored.

The application of the sticker, was the most extensive part of the building. Tamiya did an awesome job, but they don`t tolerate mistakes. I did my best and it takes me a whole night to apply the first half of the decals. Thank God I have some warming help from Paris.

spacer.png

And someday the last sticker was applied. So I proudly present the new body. What a difference to the worn out one.

spacer.png

Finally the Jaccs Accord FF-01 Upgrade Special is completed:

spacer.png

spacer.png

There are also some upcoming news of my FF-01 Alfa 156 Racer, so stay tuned...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Fantastic job on the body! Did I understand it right that the whole body is just painted white? All the coloured parts are stickers? Awesome work. I probably would have totally messed it up.

Thank you!

Yes you are right. The bodys is painted white. All coloured parts are stickers!

• Like 2

I love the ff bodyshells. The jaccs colour scheme is one of my favourites. I've got a castrol civic body set and I'm planning on doing the jaccs scheme on that - with just paint.

I've picked up all the colours - just waiting for the right time. Was going to get the accord body set too but I missed the boat on the recent release unfortunately and any left are a bit too expensive now. 

As promised there a some news about my Alfa: As italian sportscars are known as expensive and often not very durable ones, my Alfa is no exception...

During the last Race day on schoolyard I had problems with the diff. Both blades were worn out and even the hardened outdrives were not in the best conditions. Fortunately I could fix these things and keep on racing against a Mondeo. The driver of this car never makes mistakes and it was hard to keep up the pace without making a mistake by myself. But this Modeo seemed quite a little bit faster on the straight. Later at home I found a lightly knocked out ball bearing. Don`t know if this is the only reason, so I decided to change the motor also. The new one has out of box a higher rpm, so maybe this is another reason.

But all of this, didn`t stop me racing, till the tires were gone completely. The new Tamiya Type B last only for one afternoon.

Perhaps I should drive that Clio...

.spacer.png

We decide to test the Ride Tyres next time. The Type B generate so much grip, it is fantastic. But on the other hand it is very expensive. I also ordered a new diff and choose the TA-03 differential, as it already comes with the One-Piece Ball Thrust Bearings.

spacer.png

So I am excited about the performance the next time...

spacer.png

• Like 5

After all these FF-01 buildings, there a some nice Hop-Up parts left.

spacer.png

So what could be more reasonable than starting a new FF-01 project?

This time I build a shelf queen, equipped with the original Tamiya carbon double deck, low friction aluminium damper, stainless suspension shaft, aluminium king pins, front universal shaft set, hollow carbon shaft set, aluminium front hub carrier, turnbuckle sets, aluminium motor heat sink, full ball bearings, tuned spring set...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Most tuning parts showing some traces of usage and I really like this flair of racing. Only the body is a brand new 2010 RE-Release version. I hope it appeals to you and wish you enjoyable viewing.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

For some time it was relatively quite around this thread. But I have got two more FF-01 Chassis. They are quite in bad conditions, so I would be happy to build even one out of both. But what body shell should I choose?

Like wtcc5 noticed there have been some automobile manufacturers, which sell the FF-01 with replicas of their own cars. Also some other companies created their own body for the FF-01 (like the Milka Beetle).

It is really hard to find out, which of these "inofficial" FF-01 really existed. If you have more informations please let me know!

Addicted to the Honda Accord (already own the PIAA and the Jaccs) I am really glad to managed to grab this one:

spacer.png

The pre-owner only build the chassis. The body is untouched in original box with decals and maskings. Like mentioned on the outside of the box, the body is made by Carson. Think it is a FF-01 Special Version by Honda Germany.

spacer.png

Unfortunately there are no mirrors included. Have to check if the Tamiya Accord mirrors will fit.

• Like 3

Got my first look today... You've taken the FF-01 addiction to a wild level!!! Very nice buildings, and you've seemed to acquire some rare Cars indeed. 

I've mentioned to a couple of others here that I'm getting the FF-03 that I've waited a long time for... But you Guys have convinced me to at least try to get at least ONE FF-01!! 😊   Nicely done!

Thank you sir.

I also own a fully equipped FF-03 for Indoor Racing. Honestly the FF-03 performs better than the FF-01, but in my opinion you can't compare both. FF-01 is great for vintage races and that is the attraction of it.

I even have a FF-04 Black Edition. Maybe I find the time to build it during the festive season. 

• Like 1

There is no news concerning the DHL Accord, but Santa had brought me another FF-01:

spacer.png

I must have been very good the last year... But now I am considering if I should build it, or just keep it in the box...

• Like 2