Quincy

Quincys FF-01addiction

Have been working on some FF-01s, so here some news about them.

First of all, the DHL Accord: The body is manufactored by Carson and unfortunately not the best quality, as it is known from Carson. The decals are quite good quality, but not 100% correct, so there will be some compromise in the design. The DHL Accord also comes with maskings, but I would not recommend to use them. They sucks itself with the paint and actually I try to fix this issues.

No comparison to the Tamiya Kits, so I decided to do some more pleasant work. Just finished my second Upgraded Special:

spacer.png

The body just looks awesome. Not sure if I even like it more than my Jaccs Accord. Maybe only because it is the actual build, or perhaps because the decals aren`t that mess like the Jaccs. But I am going for the other Primera as well. A neverending journey...

spacer.png

It is always fun to build this FF-01s.

• Like 4

So nice!

My Jaccs Accord body set is still waiting... I cannot convince myself to finish it :rolleyes:

• Like 1

You made them look GOOD! 👍👍  I will likely be using repro Bodies... Yes, multiples! I just ordered a FF-03, my first. But drooling over the Threads here, I HAVE to hunt down at least ONE FF-01! 😊💯 

Definitely looking forward to joining the Club!! 

Happy New Year!! 2021 WILL be better!

The bodies are one reason for racing the FF-01. Tamiya did a great job on body work. Also the cars were equipped with an extra fitting wheel set. Nowadays they care less about realism. But the quality of the bodies are still great, this is the point why often Repro bodies doesn`t look as good as the originals.

• Like 1

Tamiya has always made World Class, beautiful Bodies - even if they have gotten too whimsical these days. 

The only half decent repro Bodies are out of China, Canada and the UK.... Some ARE half decent! One seller in Canada is even making Reproductions of the Unicorn Porsche 959 Body - for only $32.00!!! It's really making me and several others, consider building a "Fake 959", using the MF-01X Chassis! 

I haven't Raced seriously, since 1995... A few extra Grams and a few subtle flaws aren't going to dissuade me.  Now, seriously flawed and "Easter Egg" Bodies - definitely WILL turn me off! 

Another one of the great things about the Hobbywing, there's nearly something for everyone and a Price Point that nearly fits everybody!

Just finished another FF-01: The Carson Accord STW 97

The body is made by Carson, the Decals from RG Design. The body itself is made from very thick lexan and quite heavy. Detailing is ok, but unable to compete with Tamiya. It even comes without an protective film on it. The decals are a little bit stiff, so it requires some heat to make them fit. Also some decals can`t be placed at the point the manual suggests, because there is simple no space. Altogether it is ok, but causes a lot of additional work.

And here is the result:

spacer.png

The body set does not include the mirrors, so first of all I wanted to add the Tamiya Accord mirrors, but they don`t fit. I decided to give the New Beetle mirrors a chance, but not sure if I will keep them on the shell.

spacer.png

No body without chassis. Luckily I got a used one for a few bucks. It was dirty and very dusty, but after disassembly, one single front body mount is all that have to be replaced. Even the diff can be restored. All in all the chassis can`t have been runned very much.

spacer.png

Now it looks almost new again

spacer.png

• Like 8

I always love to see the transformation from a „long forgotten toy in a dirty basement“ to a „fully restored, fresh looking chassis“! Nice work!

Body wise, it would have been better to go for an L&L Accord, like I did for my repro Jaccs Accord...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wtcc5 said:

Body wise, it would have been better to go for an L&L Accord, like I did for my repro Jaccs Accord...

Next one will be a Tamiya again!

• Like 1

I keep forgetting that L&L ships to the U.S. I need to look at some of their Bodies....  I'd much rather give the UK my business than CHINA! 

• Like 1

Finally the "missing" Primera arrives:

spacer.png

I love the look of these old boxes

spacer.png

Unfortunately the wheels are missing, but the price was very fair. I will really celebrate this build!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After I am still looking for the primera wheels, I have time for two other FF-01 projects.

As mentioned before there a some inofficial FF-01 Versions, like the DHL Honda Accord. Another one is the Renault Laguna BTCC Nescafe:

spacer.png

Must be a special Version by Renault as I have found it here on Tamiyaclub https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=109782&id=3836

Unfortunately the body is made by Carson. As I have got my experience with these bodies from the Carson Honda Accord it is poor quality, even no rear mirrors as seen on the pics. So I am searching for an better alternative and found out, that Kyosho also made an Renault Laguna long time ago. Luckily I got one in quite good conditions:

spacer.png

It even came with all the additional parts:

spacer.png

The previos owner put the decals on the protective film:

spacer.png

So they were easy to pull off

spacer.png

The next step is to remove the paint. This will take some time.

As I am going to build the Nescafe Laguna, I need the "Carson Decals" as well. Just found out, that these decals are not designed by Carson itself, but I have managed to get some datas from the designer and hope that we can reproduce them with some help of my friend @wtcc5

• Like 3

Didn't even know that Kyosho made these Cars!! I was deep into Buggy Racing when the Touring Car Racing explosions was going on.... 

I'm going to learn so much from you Guys!!! 😁

4 hours ago, Quincy said:

So they were easy to pull off

spacer.png

The next step is to remove the paint. This will take some time.

As I am going to build the Nescafe Laguna, I need the "Carson Decals" as well. Just found out, that these decals are not designed by Carson itself, but I have managed to get some datas from the designer and hope that we can reproduce them with some help of my friend @wtcc5

That looks strange. A little bit like the skin of a snake. 

• Haha 1

Next step is done. The paint is removed:

spacer.png

This time I used a combination of Tamiya and Carson paint remover. After vaporising some of these chemical liquids in a closed box, the paint begans to solve and just could be wipped away.

spacer.png

Maybe a little bit aggressive combination, so some areas get a little bit blind after treatment. I am going to sand them before painting. Unfortunately the body had a big hit in the rear under the place of the rear wing. There is also a small part missing.

Must consider how to fix that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That Paint really whipped away that easily!??😲😎  I'm blown away. 

I've seen this stuff advertised for years, but didn't really believe it, and have never seen any results in person. Nice work!!! 👍👍

8 hours ago, Quincy said:

There is also a small part missing.

Must consider how to fix that.

As I was looking for a solution of a similar issue I found this:

Maybe this will help.

• Thanks 1

Awesome result! The effects of paintkillers is always so different. Glad to see your body came out very good!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Aerobert said:

As I was looking for a solution of a similar issue I found this:

Maybe this will help.

Thank you. Looks good. Have to check if this will work on broken edges too.

22 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

Awesome result! The effects of paintkillers is always so different. Glad to see your body came out very good!

I am surprised, too. It really depends on which paints were used and the thickness of the layer.

• Like 1

Today I have finished the chassis for the Laguna BTCC. Luckily I have enough spare parts to build another FF-01.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I choose these golden wheels, because they are more original than the wheels Carson has used on their kits.

Meanwhile the paint of the body is drying. I am very excited how it will look with these golden wheels.

• Like 3

I like the Gold Wheels! It's funny, you and Kevin seem to be overrun with FF-01 parts.... and I can't even find ONE for under $400 (in the U.S. anyway).

I've got catching up to do!

They are easy to get for fair prices over here right now, that’s why we can celebrate this chassis so much. Of course we also throw more money at it, than is reasonable ... The prices overseas are madness, especially in the U.S..

We just made a chassis count and the sum is quite astonishing. It is 25 at the moment I write this.

And it all started because I wanted to have one (!) as a runner :rolleyes: Crazy... (help, I still need a chassis for the STW Primera :lol:).

• Like 1

The FF-01 has been very popular in europe and you can still find chassis in reasonable conditions.

Unfortunately most body sets and tuning parts are very rare, too.

So I have already ordered parts from Asia, Australia and the U.S.

It is just a kind of passion.

• Like 1

...... I may pay $450-500 for ONE FF-01 here in the U.S. - just to have a NIB one. I do have a choice of Celica, Accord, New Beetle or some Renault I've never heard of (but you two likely know well). 

But of course I cannot sustain paying that much for ALL of the ones I'd want! 😲  I'm no fan of wholesale desecration of Classics - so the rest I'd prefer like yours, rough but fixable Chassis, that I can add whatever FWD Body I want.

They're just NOT AVAILABLE HERE! 😖😭  The NIB one may be my very first Box Art Build, depending on which one I end up with. 

At the end of the day, these are NOT Rembrandts or Waterford Crystal - they're TOY CARS!! And although I believe that they have collector value, and even precious to some.... They're NOT worth what some People (especially Here) are asking for them! 😖 

Of COURSE we also happen to be in a dire time, where even Hornets and TT02s are approaching $200 USD.... I can only HOPE that when this MESS is finally over, that prices will normalize again.

Tamiya themselves AREN'T helping!!! They just released the Re Re Top Force EVO - for $500.00 USD!!! 😖😠😳  OK, it's a good Buggy - but never for that much!

• Like 1