Sign in to follow this  
Lee76

Spray paint testing spoons.

I have a hand me down airbrush and was going to do some practice, thinning, mixing, masking, colour match and compatibility etc. And thought I’d get some plastic spoons for samples, they have a good shape, some have rims that might be useful for detailing. 

So I google spray painting spoons and read a random forum thread..

It’s a good reminder about what a really nice place this forum is. Have a read of this and see What you think, it starts off ok but gets really toxic. Reminds me of my work place...

If anyone has any other ideas for spray testers let me know, or alternatively Feel free to destroy me for asking :)

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/130412-plastic-spoons-for-testing-paint/

I guess it depends on what type of paint you're spraying and what the final material will be.  If you're doing polycarbonate paints, some have suggested using a clear plastic soda bottle, cutting it in half, and painting it on the inside just like a regular Lexan shell.  Seems like this would be perfectly good for Tamiys PS/PC paint, Pactra polycarb paint, Parma Faskolor, and Spaztix stuff...  Another thought:  I've started saving all the cutoff scraps from each Lexan body I do; they make good test samples and could serve for windows and lights in modeling somewhere down the road.  So, cut some bottles in half and save all your body scraps.

If you're going to shoot some acrylics or enamels, it seems like you'd want to have a small stock of material lying around for testing.  Maybe some Evergreen or Plastruct sheets, or some junk 1/24 model kits you find at a flea market for $3-4 as a source of polysytrene.  I don't paint many hard bodies, so I don't have a lot of scrap material lying around like I do for Lexan.  I have started saving parts sprues to have some ABS/PC/PA lying around for making things.  Maybe a roll cage or some bumpers could be made; it's also nice to have the material to grind up and mix with solvent to fill stripped screw holes.

As far as the other forum is concerned, I only read part of the thread but it seemed like one guy was insecure and needed to prove something to everyone else.  Life's too short to care, honestly.  I'd rather tap out than perpetuate the argument.  That's where the "ignore" button/list comes in handy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, speedy_w_beans said:

I guess it depends on what type of paint you're spraying and what the final material will be

I have a mad bull and a sand scorcher to do, there aren’t any modelling shops around here but I can get spoons next day from Amazon. Ideally I’d find something to recycle.. must be something harder polystyrene laying around somewhere...

Dear oh dear :lol::lol::lol:

I really didnt think it would be possible for an argument to develop over painting spoons on a model car forum of all places. How do these people get through their daily lives???

All it took was about three posts and it went to pot.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Superluminal said:

All it took was about three posts and it went to pot.

I’ve not seen much CAPS LOCK SHOUTING on this forum.. but perhaps I won’t mention spoons again in case it triggers anyone :)

• Haha 1

Yes! It wasnt even all in caps as in, accidently left on capslock. It was sentances deliberately written in capslock to shout out the point......I might try it and see what it feels like;

SPOOOOOOOONS

Hm, It actually feels pretty good!

• Haha 2

Update... cheaper than spoons @speedy_w_beans I had a brainwave.. I have an off-cut of polypipe, it’s a decent grade white abs perfect for the hard styrene body. I have about 1200mm so won’t even bother cutting it up. You can buy 3 metres of 30mm ish pipe for about £4 so can spray hundreds of samples and once finished it can be easily rubbed down and reused or re purposed as.. well.. a piece of pipe :)

10 hours ago, Lee76 said:

Update... cheaper than spoons @speedy_w_beans I had a brainwave.. I have an off-cut of polypipe, it’s a decent grade white abs perfect for the hard styrene body. I have about 1200mm so won’t even bother cutting it up. You can buy 3 metres of 30mm ish pipe for about £4 so can spray hundreds of samples and once finished it can be easily rubbed down and reused or re purposed as.. well.. a piece of pipe :)

PIPE!!! ARE YOU NUTS!!!

Yep, just checking, it does feel pretty good.

As you were.

• Haha 3