justsomedude

Monster Beetle ESC for LiPo?

Hi all!

New user here from Denver, CO. I was big into RC back in the day and had a King Cab and an RC10 that I used to race. Fast forward 25 years, and I stumbled upon the Monster Beetle reissue, and just HAD to have one!

I haven't started the build yet, but am getting things spec'd out, and already ordered an MIP ball diff to solve the clicking issue.

I still have a couple of questions moving forward:

• What ESC do you recommend with stock motor and LiPo batteries?
  • If I upgrade ESC should I upgrade motor too?
  • Or should I just stick to stock ESC and motor, and use NiMH batteries?
  • For radios, any big difference between Futaba 3PV and Spektrum DX5C?

Thank you in advance for your help... and here's a pic of my old King Cab and RC10 that my brother found in my parent's basement! Once I get the Monster Beetle built, these might become a restoration project. :)

paxViNDibb1F7gPTnQs1fEnbE94dY7r-cn52--wGymAfBg_tjaDi9pBU-QP7GMIbUbDewmK-DgaAHSEK89EOyrX3efut-_oPYBW1anjnQ4arTH_U5bNM7drk92P_P5C1sJaspYwokB_TahIJ6XxEjgi2xU-Yh_dXr3p4dCBNRHprJHbmNvY5i2kIzokeSqF1IcaoN9hkGtMIkUpfGCoLaiZAA5LAG5O8spsplJU80k-x9DmqsbYSyRpvWW9UCN2RpPzW2qr0pgqNhyOSc0_us9ASbAy5QHojX9CQ3oakQCavkVBW2HjAIhcQncihVfihEpTp_PLaTH00Bit3o-Zlk0_V4cTUjOLOuwKSO3MllUo-CqwsaZKJeV7HUioxq4PbXXIsbDydAeKJhZQUNbgcgY9lCsDA0FGmzCR_7UYSF6rTPySWEvTlSlLJfxZhqTbnu1wS8RhiXAv8WilQLYCM2m0hRCWAFle3Zkr5UTfu_qObgmD2Rxbf6KtoQK405AUJySDOYU9WSwumd3Lm4DbdsXBZn-skBDj9dmSjrYU7_72O7jRXuBa8eHagEvXCBMoTnr9N7NeKyj1CxOz9PYwTMebqDrnm_9w3WdFsAGWtxQvoOFky_6GJbEpD7QxDR1OnZJ0beU8fSRFz2NTTb25hrVfriSu7r17s5hvjEJMNJv_xWzzUazdNi53U3nPM6Q=w750-h959-no?authuser=0

• Like 1

Welcome to the Forum! I like you used to be into RC “back in the day “ and got back into things about 3 or  4 years agoIf the Monster Beetle reissue comes with the Tamiya TBLE02 esc it is a nice little sped control out of the box. You can run the stock silver can motor on it and upgrade to a brushless motor down the road.
If you stay brushed on that ESC Tamiya recommends no lower than about 20 or 21 brushed motor ( lower  T is faster ). 
If you plan to stay brushed, but want to go a little faster than that, the Hobbywing 1060 is a great cheap choice ( and waterproof., also you can swap between Lipo and NiMh batteries by just moving a jumper.

The Stock esc CAN use lipo , but Tamiya recommends against it. The low voltage cutoff for it is not designed to Lipo. However, you can use an external Lipo alarm and not risk killing you Lipo battery 

I hope this helps a little. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I actually just got back into it this week!  

I built my King Cab back in 1990 and then my RC10 in 1991. Then I got distracted by snowboarding, girls, went off to college... and just by doing some Googling on RCs last Monday, I stumbled upon that 2015 Monster Beetle reissue - so I ordered one! 

I pretty much forgot everything over the last 30 years, but with forums like this one it’s all starting to come back to me.

And yes - your post more than helps a little - it helps a ton!!! That Hobbywing 1060 is EXACTLY what I’ve been looking for. Works with LiPos and has the cutoff. So THANK YOU!

Also - are there any specific LiPos I should use? I see some posts mentioning a tight squeeze in the MB battery compartment. 

• Like 1

Welcome back. Your story is similar to many on here (myself included). I used to 'race' my grasshopper back in the day when I was about 11 but then my interests went elsewhere until about 8 years ago. Sitting at work in a quiet moment and mused over whatever happened to tamiya, so a quick google later and saw the re re hotshot (the most coveted car from my grasshopper days) and bought one the next day. Now have around 13 cars - 'tis a slippery slope. Quite astounded by the technological changes in the intervening 35 odd years and took a while to get my head around lipo, brushless and 2.4ghz and all this new fangled stuff. I also quickly found this site and received loads of helpfully advice and guidance - which I'm sure you will too.

Yes, the hobbywing 1060 is a great little esc and provides for lots of scope for upgrading your motors. I have a couple of them and have never missed a beat. I can't comment on lipo battery compatibility for the MB as I don't own one, but I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice around this.

The only other thing to add is the battery charger. I would advise to to get something like this IMAX b6 charger that can balance charge lipo batteries (very important) and charge nimh too (as well as doing lots of other stuff). Just be wary that there are cheap clones of these that may be of inferior quality).

Good look and ask away. People here are incredibly helpful and supportive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/9/2020 at 1:08 PM, justsomedude said:

Uh oh. Look what FedEx just brought!!!!

A3D93735-05AF-4C6B-BC60-945D1F729440.jpeg

"Pork Chop" Sideburns?   Hey you're not the lead singer from The Bare Naked Ladies are you? Steven Page?