Jonnythefox87

Blitzer beetle steering issues

I need some help trying to improve my blitzer beetles steering, apologies if these are beginner mistakes but the steering is the only thing I’m not happy with on this car!

i have two issues that I’m not sure how to solve.... Firstly, my servo horn always seems to come loose if a land a jump slightly dodgy or if i clip a curb (it’s been known!) is this just me or does it happen to others? And is there an upgraded servo horn to use?

secondly , I’ve done the reverse front axle mod to improve the bump steer, but the ball joint connectoon for the steering linkage rubs on the screw that connects the knuckle to the front arms, has anyone else had this? Hopefully the picture below shows you what I mean
again apologies if these are newbie mistakes 🙄

96518584-F9B1-4699-BFE5-D44A2A9210D6.jpeg

The rod end hitting the arm is a result of the bump steer mod. you will have to adjust the servo end point/travel  to stop the rubbing.

regards the servo horn coming off .it should never happen. you  might have the wrong servo horn on,too big spline wise OR the retaining screw for horn is too short or stripped?

2 hours ago, Gazzalene said:

The rod end hitting the arm is a result of the bump steer mod. you will have to adjust the servo end point/travel  to stop the rubbing.

regards the servo horn coming off .it should never happen. you  might have the wrong servo horn on,too big spline wise OR the retaining screw for horn is too short or stripped?

Thanks for the response- I’ll investigate the servo and horn

so with the bump steer mod, do I have to sacrifice some travel like you suggested in return for getting rid of the bump steer?

Sorry for the late reply. Doing the bump steer mod you lose a lot of the possible steering travel. This does not bother a lot of people because being 2wd you can swing the rear out with power. It just annoys me having to dial travel right down. I got a bit more travel by sanding the arms and pivot pins slightly.

On 8/13/2020 at 12:50 PM, Gazzalene said:

Sorry for the late reply. Doing the bump steer mod you lose a lot of the possible steering travel. This does not bother a lot of people because being 2wd you can swing the rear out with power. It just annoys me having to dial travel right down. I got a bit more travel by sanding the arms and pivot pins slightly.

No problem, thanks for responding 

I'll look into sanding the arms and pins, I'll have an experiment and see what I can do 👍

Rather than shortening the pivot pins, I just unscrewed them a bit - until they are flush with the arms. No Ill effects so far (apart from needing to clean out the dirt that collects under the screw heads from time to time)

Regarding the horn. I had the same problem because the screw had threaded. A longer screw soon fixed it.

Hope this helps 😊

3 hours ago, Wooster said:

Rather than shortening the pivot pins, I just unscrewed them a bit - until they are flush with the arms. No Ill effects so far (apart from needing to clean out the dirt that collects under the screw heads from time to time)

Regarding the horn. I had the same problem because the screw had threaded. A longer screw soon fixed it.

Hope this helps 😊

Thanks for the response, yeah I think a longer screw will solve the servo issue

Loosening the screw sounds like a good idea, sticking some sort of washer on there might stop dirt building up under the screw head