Sign in to follow this  
DeadMeat666

M02 Shock size

Does anyone know the length of the shocks used on M02s and I think M01s? 

I'm asking for a friend :ph34r:

Anyone at all? Does the M02 use the same standard shock size as 1/10 touring cars (i.e. 55mm I think, but not sure, hence the question).

Thanks in advance to anyone who has input.

I'm sure there are several members here that must have an M01 and/or M02. All I need is the stock damper length please.

I think they are the same, I think they all use super mini shocks. Like you I’ve just built a TT02 (or two!), so I just put one of the shocks off that against the friction damper that came on my eBay Mini rescue job, and they’re the same length eye to eye. I’m going to fit the TT02 CVAs left over from my TT02RR build to the Mini to replace the pogo sticks, and ordered some M03 compatible piston rods, and they’re identical to the ones left over from the TT02RR. So I didn’t need them! 

So, I’m no expert, but looking at it all side by side it looks to me like you should be grand 

• Thanks 1

Got to admit, I can count on one hand the amount of times I have been in the "build tips and techniques" thread.

This is why I suggested changing the "M Chassis Confusion" thread to a general purpose "M-chassis Thread", we are all in there, far more traffic, and your question would have gotten answered promptly. 

My Low Friction shocks on my M02 measure 55mm centre/eye to centre/eye. I am sure somewhere around the time of the M03 Tamiya decided M chassis shocks are being built approx 5mm shorter and stopped using touring car shocks and started selling M Chassis specific shocks (or decided they could make more money 😄).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, berman said:

Got to admit, I can count on one hand the amount of times I have been in the "build tips and techniques" thread.

This is why I suggested changing the "M Chassis Confusion" thread to a general purpose "M-chassis Thread", we are all in there, far more traffic, and your question would have gotten answered promptly. 

My Low Friction shocks on my M02 measure 55mm centre/eye to centre/eye. I am sure somewhere around the time of the M03 Tamiya decided M chassis shocks are being built approx 5mm shorter and stopped using touring car shocks and started selling M Chassis specific shocks (or decided they could make more money 😄).

Thanks for the feedback @berman, point taken regarding the general thread as opposed to this one.

• Like 1

Just to neatly close off this thread now that I have the needed info for other people's future reference (and a pretty picture!):

The M02 shocks are indeed 55mm eye-to-eye, and the Yeah Racing Shock Gear 55mm dampers are a good replacement for them if you want to go oil-filled. The YR dampers were assembled with the softest springs, no oring spacers inside the cylinder, and using the short ball-end connector at the bottom. That made them measure exactly the same as stock. I used the damper oil that was in the YR box, 300CST I believe, and the 3 hole pistons.

IMG-20200928-230032.jpg