Nicadraus

Tamiya FF Club

I have wondered why Tamiya never released an FF04 Pro. With the XV01 TC PRO around, all it would need to do is supply that without the belts and rear drivetrain and there is your mid-range frontie. Have fronties not made the comeback in Japan they have elsewhere in the world? 

In other news, this thread got my looking at 306 Maxi photos again and this livery is almost pushing me to get a second 306 shell! 

lkr_08_bremerhaven_0a3a4453.thumb.jpg.259996e366e7f3c815324e2cd1fa85a7.jpg

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

@Jonathon Gillham I think the FF-04 Evo would be great. Get the blue one because it comes with aluminum suspension mounts while the black edition don't and only uses plastic which is really weird. 

Interesting, the blue one is marginally more expensive and also the only one available atm. I prefer the blue versions to black editions as I like the blue bling!

The FF04 is just an XV01 without the 4wd right? Is it a capable car or an afterthought?

@ThunderDragonCy you probably need a few of those 306 shells. I loved my 205GTi (when it worked) and ever since have had a soft spot for pugs. Not that I would buy another one, but I do like them, I just worry a Pug body would make the chassis fall apart when you look at it wrong...

• Like 3

After all these beautiful examples, I think I need to bring some balance to the force

A984-DD28-DBCD-4182-A2-F5-EA4-BD853348-A

56141962-0-C84-490-A-B4-D3-4-A8-ABF51203

Bought a few years back as a build project. I owned a White Scirocco at the time, seemed like a good idea.

I didn't like the job I did of the shell, so it's just sat (or hung, I hang a lot of my cars up) unloved pretty much ever since. I rarely get to run my touring cars sadly.

Recently I stole the servo off it, and in taking the photo I'm eyeing up that esc :D. Thinking now I'm wondering if those shocks might be good for my TT02 rally build...

However I'm going to be following this thread with interest. The beautiful examples (aided a lot by the bling, but mainly the sweet tidy cabling) might well reinvigorate my interest
I've already got a plan forming to retire the Scirocco body to Rally bashing duties, and bring in a Castrol Civic :) If those shocks do get replaced, I've some TRF Shorts which might go quite nicely.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Interesting, the blue one is marginally more expensive and also the only one available atm. I prefer the blue versions to black editions as I like the blue bling!

The FF04 is just an XV01 without the 4wd right? Is it a capable car or an afterthought?

@ThunderDragonCy

That's right but light weight with full carbon fiber and aluminum bling all over.

Simply beautiful! B)

• Like 2

I'm putting together an FF03R build, and have most of the bits. The only part I'm struggling with is the spur gear holder, 54234, which is sold out everywhere

But I noticed that the spur gear itself is the same as the TT02 speed gear set, that came with my TT02RR. Part ref is 51423. So I'm wondering if the spur gear holder from the TT02 speed gear set would also fit the FF03, seeing as how they are both holders for the same spur gear, and be a like for like replacement for the unavailable 54234. It would seem logical but then, you know, Tamiya.....

Does anyone have both to compare, or know the answer?

Cheers!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I loved my 205GTi (when it worked) and ever since have had a soft spot for pugs. Not that I would buy another one, but I do like them, I just worry a Pug body would make the chassis fall apart when you look at it wrong...

Slightly off topic, but my first car when I got a real job and actual money in 1995 was a 1.6 205 GTi, I loved it, drove it like I stole it, lived with it, swore at it when something fell off it and then, ultimately, wrecked it. It was like a supersonic go kart, with the loudest stereo ever. I adored that thing, and still miss it

Does anyone do a decent 1/10 205 shell these days?

I had a 306 GTi 6 afterwards, which was great but not as good. I've seen 306 shells about, but would love a 205!

• Like 2

@Juhunio Not sure about the aluminium spur holder, but the reinforced K parts have reinforced plastic version which should be much better than the basic kit version. Eagle Racing in HK have one and lots of other bling besides. I just got some of their stuff for my TB03 and it is really nice

http://www.broadtech.hk/eagleshop/shop/ShopProduct.aspx?type=Select&maker=1000&series=1036

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Juhunio said:

I'm putting together an FF03R build, and have most of the bits. The only part I'm struggling with is the spur gear holder, 54234, which is sold out everywhere

But I noticed that the spur gear itself is the same as the TT02 speed gear set, that came with my TT02RR. Part ref is 51423. So I'm wondering if the spur gear holder from the TT02 speed gear set would also fit the FF03, seeing as how they are both holders for the same spur gear, and be a like for like replacement for the unavailable 54234. It would seem logical but then, you know, Tamiya.....

Does anyone have both to compare, or know the answer?

Cheers!

I'm afraid that the TT-02 spur gear holder won't work with the FF-03. Because the pin for the TT-02 is locked by being pushed inward. While the FF-03 supr gear holder's pin is inserted in a slot. It's just lucky that our local Tamiya hobby shop here have them in stock. Most of my friends bought for their XVs too.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@Juhunio Not sure about the aluminium spur holder, but the reinforced K parts have reinforced plastic version which should be much better than the basic kit version. Eagle Racing in HK have one and lots of other bling besides. I just got some of their stuff for my TB03 and it is really nice

http://www.broadtech.hk/eagleshop/shop/ShopProduct.aspx?type=Select&maker=1000&series=1036

Cool, I’ll check that out, thanks. I’ve got an Eagle RC servo mount in one of my TT02s and it is a very nice bit of kit 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

I'm afraid that the TT-02 spur gear holder won't work with the FF-03. Because the pin for the TT-02 is locked by being pushed inward. While the FF-03 supr gear holder's pin is inserted in a slot. It's just lucky that our local Tamiya hobby shop here have them in stock. Most of my friends bought for their XVs too.

Ok, good to know! Well, actually quite annoying to know, but them’s the breaks.

Enjoy wherever it is you live, it’s possibly the only place on earth that still stocks them! 

Thanks for the info 👍

• Haha 1

On 8/11/2020 at 4:46 AM, Nicadraus said:

I was even more inspired by @wtcc5 FF-01 build as well as the others  @ThunderDragonCy and @Quincy who popped up with theirs.

Thank you! I also have a FF-03 "R", equipped with some Hop-Ups:

spacer.png

• Like 5

So I checked and measured my CC-01's knuckles and c-hubs. It'll fit the FF-01. Even the front lower arm would fit but needs spacers to fill, but it'll work. I'm about to order aluminum lower arms, knuckles and c-hubs for my upgrades in the FF-01.

• Like 1

Here's something worth looking for those who are running on ball diffs with plastic outdrives for their FF-03.

https://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-aluminum-ball-differential-joint-set-bu-for-tamiya-ff03-ff03-069bu-00032530

I'm using the same for FF-03RR and it's been great. I applied AWG instead of ball diff grease and tightened the screw. It feels like gear diff with 30k oil in it. No more wearing out of outdrives like the plastic is prone to. Plus this price is unbeatable. 

image.thumb.png.4fdfa35133a5d1bfde1382715549ae82.png

2 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

Here's something worth looking for those who are running on ball diffs with plastic outdrives for their FF-03.

image.thumb.png.4fdfa35133a5d1bfde1382715549ae82.png

Glad you've confirmed this will fit, I studied the images and decided it should fit so ordered it a couple of weeks ago for mine. Hasn't arrived yet of course :(

Whats the deal with the FF04 Evo? Is it a discontinued orphan or do they release kits sporadically? It is an XV01 without the belt right? So spares should be easy enough to come by for years to come?

I know the Xpress FT1 would make more sense, but Tamiya...

13 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Whats the deal with the FF04 Evo? Is it a discontinued orphan or do they release kits sporadically? It is an XV01 without the belt right? So spares should be easy enough to come by for years to come?

Its discontinued now, but the front drivetrain and steering parts are all XV01 and the suspension is all TRF418 (aka modern tamiya plug n play). The only dedicated items are the decks and bulkheads IIRC. 

As i mentioned above, i'd tempted to pick a deal on an XV01 TC PRO and just ditch the rear drivetrain. Then you are guaranteed spares. 

• Like 2

On 8/11/2020 at 9:14 PM, wtcc5 said:

589eb04c-4b00-43a2-8sxja4.jpeg

Wow!!! This is absolutely crazy. What a beautiful creation. I would love to see what you could do with an FF01 while keeping it sort-of period correct.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

It's still available. RCMart have them in stock.

https://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-1-10-ff04-evo-2wd-fwd-touring-chassis-kit-ep-84394-00059271

The FT1s is really cheap. But the FT1 is more expensive than the FF-04 Evo. Between the two, I'd definitely go for Tamiya due to parts availability and interchangeability.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Its discontinued now, but the front drivetrain and steering parts are all XV01 and the suspension is all TRF418 (aka modern tamiya plug n play). The only dedicated items are the decks and bulkheads IIRC. 

As i mentioned above, i'd tempted to pick a deal on an XV01 TC PRO and just ditch the rear drivetrain. Then you are guaranteed spares. 

Plus use this chassis.

HTB1HTjTh13tHKVjSZSgq6x4QFXaG.jpg

• Like 1

Thought i would share my ff01 with you all.. totally a shelf warrior.  stock except for bearings!

IMG_6074.JPG

IMG_6075.JPG

IMG_6076.JPG

IMG_6077.JPG

IMG_6078.JPG

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

It's still available. RCMart have them in stock.

https://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-1-10-ff04-evo-2wd-fwd-touring-chassis-kit-ep-84394-00059271

The FT1s is really cheap. But the FT1 is more expensive than the FF-04 Evo. Between the two, I'd definitely go for Tamiya due to parts availability and interchangeability.

Thats where I saw them, low stock though and out of stock most places. Parts compatibility with my TA07 make sense since I have started accumulating spares for that. Not so worried about the chassis plates as I can get new ones made locally easily enough, especially with the old one as a template. I don't see any upgrades required for it either, appears to have everything in the box already.

Now I just need to convince my wife that a frontie for all comers class is somehow essential...

• Like 2