Nicadraus

Tamiya FF Club

29 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

THAT'S something I'm tempted to get - even without the Car!! 😜  Now I get to sound REALLY dumb... Because I still don't know what 1XD, 1A, or any of the other nomenclature means on these A-Arm Mounts!! 

Are they for adjusting Anti-Squat, or something? I'll need to know before I get my first FF Chassis Car. 

The blocks are different lengths (well, the holes are further apart/closer together) so they adjust the width for the front track by changing to different blocks, and you can adjust the rear toe by using different ones.  Have a read of this

https://www.thercracer.com/2017/01/tamiya-suspension-mount-ultimate.html

There are also split ones which are used in the FR and RF position on the 4wd cars as they allow the belts to go through.  Yeah Racing make some too, I bought them for my FF04 (why a car of that level comes with plastic ones I don't know!) as they are super cheap.  To get the right setup I bought 3 Yeah Racing and had to buy one genuine Tamiya one which cost more than the other 3 combined.  Heres an example of the split ones from Yeah Racing

https://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-suspension-mounts-aluminum-bu-1d-1xd-separated-for-trf417-ta05-ta05ifs-ta05-ver2-ta06-trf417-019-1d-1xd-00034901

Tamiya also make these ones which are adjustable

https://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-aluminum-adjustable-suspension-mount-e-set-for-trf419-ta07-tb05-54882-00084628

They are an essential upgrade for any car that uses the plastic versions.  It doesn't take long for slop to appear in the plastic ones.

Also check to see if the kit has the little balls that go in them.  The mounts don't come with them.  Luckily I had some spares from my TA07 parts sprues, but next order from RCMart I will be adding these, flourine coated steel balls instead of the plastic ones.  I have them in my TA07 which is why I had spares left over.  I'm not sure how long the plastic ones last.

https://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-fluorine-coated-suspension-ball-53709-00028915

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

THAT'S something I'm tempted to get - even without the Car!! 😜  Now I get to sound REALLY dumb... Because I still don't know what 1XD, 1A, or any of the other nomenclature means on these A-Arm Mounts!! 

Are they for adjusting Anti-Squat, or something? I'll need to know before I get my first FF Chassis Car. 

I believe that their main purpose to adjust TOE.

But the anti-squat could be adjusted by using additional shims between where the blocks attach to the chassis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

.Also check to see if the kit has the little balls that go in them.  The mounts don't come with them.  Luckily I had some spares from my TA07 parts sprues, but next order from RCMart I will be adding these, flourine coated steel balls instead of the plastic ones.  I have them in my TA07 which is why I had spares left over.  I'm not sure how long the plastic ones last.

https://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-fluorine-coated-suspension-ball-53709-00028915

I prefer the Tamiya 54747 low friction balls. I found the metal fluorine ones bound a bit in the aluminum mounts. 
Also here are the setup papers from the Tamiya Mounts. 

IMG_9264.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

INVALUABLE information!!! Thank you ✌ 

I Raced Buggies and Trucks back in the 80's and 90's. Never did TC Racing (a fact that I question now!!). That was quite an education and I really appreciate it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Carmine A said:

INVALUABLE information!!! Thank you ✌ 

I Raced Buggies and Trucks back in the 80's and 90's. Never did TC Racing (a fact that I question now!!). That was quite an education and I really appreciate it.

Bookmark this. It's a gold for setup info

https://www.thercracer.com/2017/01/tamiya-suspension-mount-ultimate.html?m=0

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

100% this, I've referred to this page more times than I care to remember and I still can't memorize what all the numbers and letters mean, it's an invaluable guide! (Tamiya aren't very good at explaining suspension blocks at all IMO).

• Like 3

Here's something I would recommend as a useful upgrade for the FF-03.

84376 - Aluminum Bumper Mount

It may look like a bling to some but it also serves as a heat sink extension to the motor mount. I picked this up from a local hobby shop today and installed it in my RR. The Pro-R has this since last year and it really helps dissipate heat faster without the need of a fan. Although this mount also have holes for a 25x25mm fan in case someone likes to add.

NN8SjNah.jpg

YbYeAddh.jpg

M6XxDDPh.jpg

5RdkUbJh.jpg

• Like 5

Swapped out the 27 turn for a 20. I added a heat sink since this pic. Running 3s shorty lipo, She hauls the mail nicely 

IMG_20201017_152542610_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201017_153008383.jpg

• Like 3

FF-01R shelf queen got blue treatment with blue hex screws, YR CVD and new set of dampers.

KzKEyCah.jpg

Kzay7FFh.jpg

Swapped the YR CVD from my CC-01 to the FF-01. The CC-01 gets the steel CVDs now.

yRPPiAr.jpg

7U7marS.jpg

KMic1M3.jpg

iiPhC5w.jpg

VdGco8k.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Nicadraus Is that rear anti-roll bar an official ff01 hop up or is it off of another car? And do those grub screws prevent the bar from rotating?

41 minutes ago, rich_f said:

@Nicadraus Is that rear anti-roll bar an official ff01 hop up or is it off of another car? And do those grub screws prevent the bar from rotating?

The sawybar/stabilizer is a custom fit. The swaybar is from Tamiya and the holders with grub screws are from the FF-03. The grub screws prevent the bar from sliding left to right with minimal tension. 

• Like 1

I WILL someday get my FF-03.... This Thread has given me a mind boggling amount of ideas to work with!! 

@Nicadraus your FF-01 is simply ART! 👌👏👏👏👏

• Like 1

The FF-01's rear shock tower's mount pegs for the screws finally broke. This is due to the plastic of old Tamiyas become brittle when they age. I don't have access to any FF-01 parts now especially the ones like @ThunderDragonCy does (I envy his aluminum shock tower), I decided to reinforce this one with 2mm carbon fiber.

This is the broken part. As you can see, it has been reinforce before with cable ties but those were just temporary remedies. 

P57vcKzh.jpg

Fresh new cf board (2mm).

OwfeAAeh.jpg

YlIroRBh.jpg

I cut the peg on the other side to flatten and also grinded the one in the center below using Dremel. This is to be able to mount the cf board flat on the shock tower.

1r0MDErh.jpg

FcYJNA4h.jpg

After cutting, shaping and sanding off the edges...

1HHJUETh.jpg

4duBdmhh.jpg

Test fit...

b4Ebqf1h.jpg

Perfect!

0rThlfDh.jpg

xKn5Tcdh.jpg

With shock mounted

srkM0SPh.jpg

4eJSATYh.jpg

I've also done this simple but effective reinforcement for the front shock tower. A small piece of CF board to prevent this area of the front shock tower from cracking.

9fuzdnth.jpg

So far, so good.

usGwHFPh.jpg

qAO8i6gh.jpg

• Like 5

I have a rear suspension tower that needs similar treatment, but it's the upper arm mounting hole that has failed. I think I'll make a similar design to yours but with an extra piece that comes down to reinforce the upper arm mount holes. 

Do you just use an abrasive disc on your dremmel to cut your cf plate? 

2 hours ago, rich_f said:

I have a rear suspension tower that needs similar treatment, but it's the upper arm mounting hole that has failed. I think I'll make a similar design to yours but with an extra piece that comes down to reinforce the upper arm mount holes. 

Do you just use an abrasive disc on your dremmel to cut your cf plate? 

Yes. I use this.

image.jpeg.b8e478f7aadf0d0d749c90f84c9c997b.jpeg

10 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@Nicadraus That is a super nice job!

Thanks Cy! ;)

• Like 1

Ok, I bought an FF-03. So, count me in as part of the club. I'll probably dig out the old FF-01 and make some modifications too.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RichieRich said:

Ok, I bought an FF-03. So, count me in as part of the club. I'll probably dig out the old FF-01 and make some modifications too.

Share your FFs. ;)

• Like 1

Does anyone know the part number for the FF01 Mondeo wheels? I have the L and l models repo shell and am thinking I'll see if I can track down the wheels

just started building my FF-03. have assembled the gearbox, but the ball differential have a fair amount of play, can move about 2mm from side to side. is this normal ?? i have the Yeah racing aluminium ball differential joint set.

On 12/8/2020 at 3:09 AM, wtcc5 said:

That will be 50550

Are these still available new? I have found a few online stores selling them but have never heard of them and just checking if they are legit. Ebay have none

Had a run the other day, I am too hapy how my FF03 drives and handles. 

the oil metal gear diff was the best investment into this car.

I run it on a Tamiya TBLE01 8T SL of a RTR Tamiya Levant. 2s-3s it takes it all and goes over 100km/h.

I did re-arrange the servo and esc layout, after trying this step I was amazed how the handling has changed, much better and direct steering on high speed straight adjustments. 
also When I did this I shimmed all the suspension arms. Need to mention, this FF03 except gear diff and springs is bone stock.

C1ijNvj.jpg
wig6asN.jpg

Si4oIjE.jpg
FxZNHyw.jpg

OhljSuc.jpg
q6IfciL.mp4

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Are these still available new? I have found a few online stores selling them but have never heard of them and just checking if they are legit. Ebay have none

I am pretty sure they are sold out for years now...

• Like 1