Nicadraus

Tamiya FF Club

11 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

It will! It is the same body that came with the Idemitsu, Jaccs and Castrol Civics when the FF-01 came out.

Yes! Thank you for the confirmation. I ordered one and it was delivered earlier this week. Now I have two bodies to paint. :D 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

What did you base the masking iff? Just pictures?

Thanks for the link, will look into that too

Yes, just pictures. You can orientate on the door lines. 

• Like 1

Well, I finally moved to the new house. Stuff is slowing coming out of boxes. First out of the boxes are these. They will probably wind up being box art. The FF01 is my VW Beetle with a new Castrol Civic body. Yes, I will obviously trim those body posts down. :D

IMG_20210513_180424r.jpg

• Like 6

Hello,

Does somebody still have the manual of the FF-03 anti rollbars? I could not find any, so I bought a set for TA06 which looked very similar. If someone could scan the antirollbars themselves, as well as the manual, it would allow me to compare in detail.

Thanks

2 hours ago, HaCo81 said:

Hello,

Does somebody still have the manual of the FF-03 anti rollbars? I could not find any, so I bought a set for TA06 which looked very similar. If someone could scan the antirollbars themselves, as well as the manual, it would allow me to compare in detail.

Thanks

The TA06 rear fit fine. You just need to use one of the redundent shock positions on the arms to mount the dropper links. The fronts fit too, but they are a little bit shorter than the ff03 bars so you have to be a bit careful setting them up to clear the camber links. All you need to add to the dropper links at the front are M3x30 grub screws to make them long enough. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

do you guys change the stock pinion?

i have read varies places that the kit supplied Tamiya pinions are not very good.

52 minutes ago, Alexei said:

do you guys change the stock pinion?

i have read varies places that the kit supplied Tamiya pinions are not very good.

On my FF04 (I think FF03 is the same) I have changed the spur and pinion to 48p. They are far more common so its easier to get the right gear ratio to suit any motor.

But otherwise, most kits seem to come with a soft alloy pinion so its worth changing to either a hard coated alloy or steel one. I buy Yeah Racing hard coated ones and haven't had any issues

ok, i think i will go for a hard coated pinion. i thought the FF-03 came 48p pinion and spur gear :S

3 minutes ago, Alexei said:

ok, i think i will go for a hard coated pinion. i thought the FF-03 came 48p pinion and spur gear :S

I assumed they are mod .6 like the rest of Tamiya's line up but it could be 48p, the DN01 and TRF201 came with 48p so it isn't unprecedented.  I replaced mine anyway to get the FDR down to 3 for 21.5T stock racing

i dont know a lot about gearing, but would stock gearing be ok for 17.5 brushless ?

47 minutes ago, Alexei said:

i dont know a lot about gearing, but would stock gearing be ok for 17.5 brushless ?

Which FF have you got? I don't know for sure but i suspect that the stock gearing will be more suited to around 8.5T than 17.5T. A 17.5T will run fine, it will just be slower than you probably expect. A properly geared 17.5T will be crazy fast.

The easiest thing to do would be to buythe biggest pinion you can fit with the stock spur and see how it goes. If the 17.5T has adjustable timing then turn that up about 3/4 of the way to max and try it.

i have a FF-03. im not looking to make it crazy fast :S i need to finish the electronics, bodyshell and sort pinion before it is ready.

• Like 1

After chatting with @wtcc5 about c-hubs I have designed my own 2 deg and 4 deg caster c-hubs for the FF01 (and TA02 I guess?). The 4 deg mimic the caster provided by the Tamiya aluminium hop up C-hubs which are now pretty much impossible to find. I have a new 3D print supplier in the UK that's great, but has quite a high minimum order value. Anyone interested a pair of these in SLS Nylon, black, shot peen finish, in either 2 deg of 4 deg caster (your choice)? They would be £8 per set plus postage. DM me if you're keen. 

FF-01 4 deg caster c-hub Right V1.JPG

• Like 2

Update on the two Civics from my earlier post above. I've painted the FF03 Civic box art. I just have to finish painting the hard plastic bits and install those. Those decals were a pain in the behind to install. Also, I was doing some quick driving and was getting a bunch of axle chatter when steering. I made a rookie mistake and didn't rotate the diff per the instructions during assembly. :blink:

I've acquired the paint for the FF01 Civic. Additionally, I've purchased some 3mm offset 26mm white 8 spoke HPI wheels and some Tamiya radials. I did not realize sourcing wheels and tires would be such a chore. I think they will look nice when the painting/decal-ing is complete.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RichieRich said:

Update on the two Civics from my earlier post above. I've painted the FF03 Civic box art. I just have to finish painting the hard plastic bits and install those. Those decals were a pain in the behind to install. Also, I was doing some quick driving and was getting a bunch of axle chatter when steering. I made a rookie mistake and didn't rotate the diff per the instructions during assembly. :blink:

I've acquired the paint for the FF01 Civic. Additionally, I've purchased some 3mm offset 26mm white 8 spoke HPI wheels and some Tamiya radials. I did not realize sourcing wheels and tires would be such a chore. I think they will look nice when the painting/decal-ing is complete.

Looking forward to seeing what the wheel fitment looks like with 3mm offset! 👍

Does anyone know if the FF03 swaybars will fit the FF04? I assume that the XV01 set is the one I need but thats out of stock every time I look. I have found FF03 locally at a decent price shipped, so if that fits then I'll order them

Great to see a FF thread!

My FF03 got built some time ago but just recently realized the  drive shafts were creating some vibration when steering, specially at tighter turn radius. I did a full disassembly and the problem persists. All parts and assembly seemed to be in good shape. The vibration is not huge and impossible to notice when running, but something that you see if the car is tested lifted on a bench. It happens at every suspension travel.

Is this normal? I cannot figure the cause of it :(

It seems odd for a kit to vibrate if built standard. Would the double-cardan joint solve this? It is an expensive hop-up :(

7 minutes ago, OoALEJOoO said:

Great to see a FF thread!

My FF03 got built some time ago but just recently realized the  drive shafts were creating some vibration when steering, specially at tighter turn radius. I did a full disassembly and the problem persists. All parts and assembly seemed to be in good shape. The vibration is not huge and impossible to notice when running, but something that you see if the car is tested lifted on a bench. It happens at every suspension travel.

Is this normal? I cannot figure the cause of it :(

It seems odd for a kit to vibrate if built standard. Would the double-cardan joint solve this? It is an expensive hop-up :(

I suspect the DCJ would solve it. My FF04 came with them, but I did swap my TA07 to DCJ and it did resolve the chatter up front. I run a spool now, but there is less chatter with a spool and DCJ than it was with universals and front diff.

Unfortunately for you, they have doubled in price in the last year...

2 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

As @Jonathon Gillham and @ThunderDragonCy mentioned, DCJ or universal shafts will solve that problem. Aside from Yeah Racing (YR), 3Racing (3R) 44mm universal shaft will fit @OoALEJOoO

@ThunderDragonCy, @Jonathon Gillham and @Nicadraus Thanks guys :)

This is a bit confusing for me because of the experience with the Monster Beetle. The MB comes with universals and because of this chatters quite badly when the suspension is fully down. This seems to be a common known problem. The solution for the MB was to replace them with dog-bones + cups, which is what the FF03 has standard! My understanding is that universals do not transfer torque evenly, it is actually something like a sinewave that is proportional to it's angle, thus prone to oscillations if the angle is too high. Dog bones do not have this issue because they slide. All this made sense and I replaced the universal of my MB with dog-bones and the problem was solved.

I am trying to understand why the opposite would solve the issue of the FF03. Just trying to better understand so that knowledge is improved :)

25 minutes ago, OoALEJOoO said:

The MB comes with universals and because of this chatters quite badly when the suspension is fully down. This seems to be a common known problem

25 minutes ago, OoALEJOoO said:

Dog bones do not have this issue because they slide.

Dogbones are just different form of universals. Reason why Tamiya's universals chatter even on rear is, that they did them wrong for years, one end rotated by 90°, so instead of compensating vibrations they actually amplified them! I think that only recently, on M07 and TRF420, Tamiya did CVDs in right orientation.

CVDs will help to reduce vibrations caused by dogbone jumping around outside cup when you get beyond their capacity, but only DCJs will remove all chatter caused by variation of angular velocity.

• Like 1