Nicadraus

Tamiya FF Club

On 3/26/2022 at 12:09 PM, Nicadraus said:

That looks sharp!

Please update us how the race went. Good luck! :)

Did a little testing with the bittydesign body and I must say it really feels planted. Much better that the protoform europa that looks like it. Can't wait to race it Sunday.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Carmine A said:

My FF03 came with the Civic Body, but the Mirrors were part of the Chassis Parts Trees... 

I'm not saying for sure, this Old Fart has been wrong before! 😜  But I'm certain that one of these Guys will know. 

PICTURES!!! 😎😁😁😁

I found them. They were exactly where I organized them...in a container with various H parts trees. I thought I had put them aside since I knew I was going to need them. I'll post pics once I finish this decal job.

• Like 1

For those that want stronger chubs. You can use the 420 chubs on the 418/419 arms. All you have to do is drill/ream the outer arm hole to 3mm to accept the new 3mm shaft and 420 chub. 

You may have to shave the arm where the chub sits on the inside a bit with a file. But that may bit be necessary. 

All you need is the 420 3mm outer arm shafts and chubs.

20220329_175958.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Done! FF01 VW New Beetle with Castrol Civic body set. Only three mods on this one: Full bearings, aluminum motor mount/heatsink and 53155 dampers. I used HPI -3 offset 8 spoke wheels and Tamiya tires.

IMG_20220330_142613~2.jpg

• Like 9

Back at the track

u31ATAuh.jpg

CVYEcq1h.jpg

Played cat and mouse with my friend's Xpress XQ10R

P7pkvUeh.jpg

pZnjrZah.jpg

• Like 5

So the race I did this past weekend was so much fun with the ff04. 11 fwd's  on the field. While the ff04 did well handling for me the competition was obviously better than I was. 

So needless to say the driver needs work and the car could be refined a bit. Otherwise it was super fun and met some great people. 

While on practice day Saturday I installed the 419 suspension upgrade which is just 420 suspension parts. 

It does sharpen the suspension a bit. I had already done this on my trf419xr and love it.

My ff04 is the yellow with green bumper splitter.

The first car is Al's car who the event was for. He's a huge fwd fan. 

20220403_192505.jpg

20220406_185055.jpg

20220406_185111.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, RichieRich said:

Are you all using the carbon K parts (54289) on your FF03s?

I am. Not sure how much improvement the big parts give, but I found the steering arms and spur gear mount to be a big improvement over the kit versions if you can find/don't want aluminium options. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 11:33 AM, RichieRich said:

Are you all using the carbon K parts (54289) on your FF03s?

Just the IFS mount. But the rear deck stiffener has been replaced with carbon fiber and steering sets are aluminum in my kits. But of course, the carbon reinforced plastic are much , much better than the sock plastic ones.

Finishing up my FF-03R build. Body will be a MonTech GTI Vision. Trying to decide on a paint scheme. 

69E24B38-BC67-4EF1-BD0A-E00A65DE84BF.jpeg

5294A97E-E06C-4D24-9A8E-6A53D2E5BF65.jpeg

• Like 7

On 3/15/2022 at 6:38 PM, BuggyGuy said:

I'm not enjoying my Schumacher Mission FT at the moment and want to replace it with something from Big T.

So FF04 - short lived but capable car, and no longer available. What do people think would be the issue with doing a new build version of this?

I have an XV01 front gearbox, alloy steering set, a pile of suspension blocks, some SSBBs and TRF419/20 arms in the parts bin - so I think I would only really need to get chassis plates cut by FiberLyte to be most of the way towards creating an FF04 Evo (other than a rear bulkhead to mount the rear suspension on).

What am I missing / not considering? Feels like it would be cheaper going this way than building and hopping up an FF03 with the parts I have availble

Any thoughts appreciated!

I have recently grabbed my ff04 out of storage. I’m drawing up some SSBB towers this week, along with a low profile motor plate, they should be a fibyrelyte this week. 

I have considered a new chassis plate, they take a while to draw up though. 

I was thinking of making the new chassis work with the new Tamiya split blocks, have a better layout for shortie batteries, and also run trf420 steering (cheap ta08 plastic parts should also fit). 

A1FC1BD2-B50B-4334-8A3C-AD88D6EED0A8.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, qatmix said:

I have recently grabbed my ff04 out of storage. I’m drawing up some SSBB towers this week, along with a low profile motor plate, they should be a fibyrelyte this week. 

I was thinking of making the new chassis work with the new Tamiya split blocks, have a better layout for shortie batteries, and also run trf420 steering (cheap ta08 plastic parts should also fit). 

That's very intriguing! I wonder if it would be financially feasible to start one from scratch?

51 minutes ago, qatmix said:

This is exciting for the ssbb towers.  

I used a TA07 battery mount on the back of the battery. Just drilled and countersunk. 

Here is my set up on my ff04

20220410_174635.jpg

20220410_174514.jpg

• Like 5

Looks great! One question, for the rear towers I will also make them support rear facing body posts to lower the roll centre. Anything else that will help? I might make a hook to hold down the motor wires on the front tower as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, qatmix said:

Looks great! One question, for the rear towers I will also make them support rear facing body posts to lower the roll centre. Anything else that will help? I might make a hook to hold down the motor wires on the front tower as well.

I think that will be a nice option for rear facing posts. Otherwise I can't think anything at the moment for upgrades. Thank you for doing this for the ff04 and what you have done for the tamiya community.

• Like 1

Hi,

can anyone confirm the dimensions for the below image?  
1. front axel to front bumper holder

2. front axel to stock uncut foam bumper

Checking a few car bodies and want to make sure it fits before picking up a FF-03.

Thank you in advance 

74B93221-89AE-48BE-85B5-417DA040570A.thumb.jpeg.f23a13146662ef9b290421d09ec3d037.jpeg

7 hours ago, Frankster said:

1. front axel to front bumper holder

I measured 3.019 in American (in), or 76.69 in a system that makes sense (mm)

it appears I don’t have an uncut bumper so can’t help you there, sorry. Not too long ago I found a list of bodies from most companies that fit will the ff03. I’ll see if I can find it again.

On 4/18/2022 at 10:56 PM, qatmix said:

Hi @qatmix am I reading your post correctly, do you make your own chassis plates?  Is it hard to produce?

I don’t make them, I design them and a company makes them. 

Chassis plates do take a lot of spare time, and they can be costly if they do not work. 

I usually work on smaller / unique parts.

On 4/7/2022 at 1:24 AM, V8 Rumble said:

So the race I did this past weekend was so much fun with the ff04. 11 fwd's  on the field. While the ff04 did well handling for me the competition was obviously better than I was. 

So needless to say the driver needs work and the car could be refined a bit. Otherwise it was super fun and met some great people. 

If you want to compete don't waste time and money on the FF-04. Been there done that. High motor position, overweight and weird rear suspension pickup points. I switched to an XRAY and gained nearly a second a lap (and I am not an inexperienced driver).

If you're happy to have a good handling car that is at the back of the field, then by all means stick with it.

I have a new motor plate drawn up that puts the motor 0.5mm lower than the Arc.

Regarding the rear pick ups, are you referring to the rear shock tower attachment points? I’ve been looking at the 420 arms and the adjustable rear pivots do provide more flexibility when sorting it.

I know it might be fruitless, but yer know it’s a Tamiya thing :)

9 hours ago, sosidge said:

If you want to compete don't waste time and money on the FF-04. Been there done that. High motor position, overweight and weird rear suspension pickup points. I switched to an XRAY and gained nearly a second a lap (and I am not an inexperienced driver).

If you're happy to have a good handling car that is at the back of the field, then by all means stick with it.

I appreciate the input. I'm having fun with this class right now. I'll get the most out of the car for now plus I'm using the cars I have and really don't want to spend money on another chassis. 

3 hours ago, qatmix said:

I have a new motor plate drawn up that puts the motor 0.5mm lower than the Arc.

Regarding the rear pick ups, are you referring to the rear shock tower attachment points? I’ve been looking at the 420 arms and the adjustable rear pivots do provide more flexibility when sorting it.

I know it might be fruitless, but yer know it’s a Tamiya thing :)

Are the suspension mounts going to have to be filed down. I don't think they should but thought I'd ask. 

Would you be able to elongate the motor screw mount holes a bit? Maybe another mm would work? I know the gear box may interfere with this but just an idea.

It should be just above the suspension blocks. 

Do you want the motor to come closer towards the spur? I will elongate the holes to give maximum gearing. If doesn’t matter if it’s too close as the gearbox will define how close you can go. Also some motors have a smaller diameter than others etc. 

• Like 1