Jump to content
Nicadraus

Tamiya FF Club

Recommended Posts

Been a while. Made a first print of the SSBB shock towers for the FF04.

 

I am tempted to do away with the rear body mounts and instead add 100mm wide mounting posts that use TRF posts. You can also mount them rearward to lower the cog.

 

what do you think? 

BD227ED1-FCA1-4A14-A535-536ACFA497DB.jpeg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, I kinda agree. I want to revise the upper damper mounts.

 

Also been working on the motor mount.. it’s quite tricky.  I think I can lower the motor 3mm

 

Moving the motor more forward might be an issue because of the bumper. I will print off what I have and see how it goes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2022 at 7:04 PM, qatmix said:

Yep, I kinda agree. I want to revise the upper damper mounts.

 

Also been working on the motor mount.. it’s quite tricky.  I think I can lower the motor 3mm

 

Moving the motor more forward might be an issue because of the bumper. I will print off what I have and see how it goes. 

Just saw your article on the rcracer. I couldn't post for some reason on there. I think an idea to add a rear battery holder for shorty batteries would be a good update for better as balance. 

I used one from a ta07 and drilled a hole. 

20201123_195545.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool. Yes I intend to fit a shorty battery on mine. It looks like the best solution for balance and weight. 

What set-up are you running? and what surface?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run it on black carpet only. I run eam 5200 or the 4800 batteries. 21.5 usgt motor and tires. Are you doing from ssbb towers as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet it will be front and rear SSBB towers :)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the latest additions to my FWD club is this Big Wave FF01 conversion. There's more pictures in my FF01 build thread :) 

09-B3499-1.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slightly off topic, but what do you guys use for 3D printing Rc parts such as shock towers ? standard PETG ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Vertigo35 said:

Slightly off topic, but what do you guys use for 3D printing Rc parts such as shock towers ? standard PETG ? 

For me, PLA+ works pretty well on many parts, it has good Z-layer strength and it's less brittle than a standard PLA. But it may degrade over time, although most parts I printed still work.

PETG is softer and has higher melting point, so it's great for gears or parts surrounding hot components, but, at least one I use, has a bit worse layer adhesion, so it's not as suitable for more complex parts with horizontal holes - but it may still work with a proper design.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm new to this FF game, so please be gentle :lol:

I'm currently building my first, an FF03-R which I'm putting together entirely from parts

I have a couple of question regarding arm / rim compatibility :)

The 03R uses 53928 short reversible arms. If I try and use a Tamiya 26mm rim, it binds on the arms due to the ribs inside the rim. 24mm rims are fine. I found the same issue when building a TA04-TRF, using the 51104 reversible arms

So question 1: is this the case with all 26mm rims, do these arms only work with 24mm rims? Or have any of you found 26mm rims that work with the s/r arms on the FF03R?

The standard FF03 uses different arms (51353)

So question 2: does anyone run a standard FF03, and if so do Tamiya 26mm rims work ok with those arms? Or does the same issue arise? 

Ta!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2022 at 8:47 AM, Juhunio said:

I'm new to this FF game, so please be gentle :lol:

I'm currently building my first, an FF03-R which I'm putting together entirely from parts

I have a couple of question regarding arm / rim compatibility :)

The 03R uses 53928 short reversible arms. If I try and use a Tamiya 26mm rim, it binds on the arms due to the ribs inside the rim. 24mm rims are fine. I found the same issue when building a TA04-TRF, using the 51104 reversible arms

So question 1: is this the case with all 26mm rims, do these arms only work with 24mm rims? Or have any of you found 26mm rims that work with the s/r arms on the FF03R?

The standard FF03 uses different arms (51353)

So question 2: does anyone run a standard FF03, and if so do Tamiya 26mm rims work ok with those arms? Or does the same issue arise? 

Ta!

 

Which tires would you use in 26mm? I was under the impression that the 26mm super slicks were no longer available. Or are there any good non-Tamiya 26mm options?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Juhunio: I haven’t tested all 26mm rims on the FF03, but those I did, all touched the arms. The arm design of the FF03 versions is very similar regarding the design of the arm ends. So you would need to use spacers for 26mm rims, if that fits the body. 
 

@Pylon80: Not sure how it is in other countries, but in Germany you can still buy seven types Tamiya 26mm tyres including Super Slicks and Type A & Type B compound race tires.

The latter (53294) is a very grippy outdoor asphalt compound and gives a lot of traction even on dusty low grip tracks.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

@Juhunio: I haven’t tested all 26mm rims on the FF03, but those I did, all touched the arms. The arm design of the FF03 versions is very similar regarding the design of the arm ends. So you would need to use spacers for 26mm rims, if that fits the body. 

Thanks @wtcc5, perfect answer :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my FF01 VR6. I had it since it was new, was my first RC. All my friends had 4wd TA01s and the like, but I was never one to go along with the crowd and the front motor fwd just appealed to me. I paid £130 for the kit from Beatties in Manchester who knows how long ago! It had a very hard life, being used as a basher like kids do. It had ball bearings from new and at some point acquired a Trinity Midnight 2 motor and ESC. It’s also got a motor heat sink, carbon gear shafts the hop up springs.

 I decided to rebuild it to run it this year, but during the process discovered a few cracks in parts I couldn’t find replacement for and quite a few stripped screw threads, so it’s now a retired to the shelf. A wheelbase change and a swap to the Castrol Civic body to finish it off.

BC396392-390D-4928-B85F-4F55410F41DA.thumb.jpeg.a4a3c44052a968cd3fa4d7d7cc29012b.jpeg60DD5C4B-3001-461A-A56E-26009D67DAA0.thumb.jpeg.345114a8d05dca4a9c98e6993cb6eb00.jpeg70EC35CC-50F7-4D01-BC43-B17294C7884C.thumb.jpeg.263ef791aab071786346ad880fb97b2a.jpeg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2022 at 4:03 AM, Bluest2 said:

This is my FF01 VR6. I had it since it was new, was my first RC. All my friends had 4wd TA01s and the like, but I was never one to go along with the crowd and the front motor fwd just appealed to me. I paid £130 for the kit from Beatties in Manchester who knows how long ago! It had a very hard life, being used as a basher like kids do. It had ball bearings from new and at some point acquired a Trinity Midnight 2 motor and ESC. It’s also got a motor heat sink, carbon gear shafts the hop up springs.

 I decided to rebuild it to run it this year, but during the process discovered a few cracks in parts I couldn’t find replacement for and quite a few stripped screw threads, so it’s now a retired to the shelf. A wheelbase change and a swap to the Castrol Civic body to finish it off.

BC396392-390D-4928-B85F-4F55410F41DA.thumb.jpeg.a4a3c44052a968cd3fa4d7d7cc29012b.jpeg60DD5C4B-3001-461A-A56E-26009D67DAA0.thumb.jpeg.345114a8d05dca4a9c98e6993cb6eb00.jpeg70EC35CC-50F7-4D01-BC43-B17294C7884C.thumb.jpeg.263ef791aab071786346ad880fb97b2a.jpeg

Always thought that Civic was a great looking body. What's the wheelbase on it? 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

Always thought that Civic was a great looking body. What's the wheelbase on it? 🤔

I’m not certain of the measurement, but it is the longer of the 2 possibilities with the ff01 chassis.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all ~ Fantastic thread and the reason I joined this forum tbh. ;)

Just bought an FF03 for a speed run build as I'd always wanted a FWD RC plus a few of us at ROSSA UK are having a friendly competition to build the fastest plastic tub chassis Tamiya (2S lipo).

One thing I want to do is fit the aluminium spur gear mount but they're impossible to find with "out of stock" being listed everywhere online. 

Are there any other aluminium spur gear mounts/adapters that will work on the FF03 please? 

@Fabia130vRS what spur gear adapter did you use please on your model? 


I've bought a TT05 one to try as it looks similar: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154180996587

Thanks for any info. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GMballistic said:

Hello all ~ Fantastic thread and the reason I joined this forum tbh. ;)

Just bought an FF03 for a speed run build as I'd always wanted a FWD RC plus a few of us at ROSSA UK are having a friendly competition to build the fastest plastic tub chassis Tamiya (2S lipo).

One thing I want to do is fit the aluminium spur gear mount but they're impossible to find with "out of stock" being listed everywhere online. 

Are there any other aluminium spur gear mounts/adapters that will work on the FF03 please? 

@Fabia130vRS what spur gear adapter did you use please on your model? 


I've bought a TT05 one to try as it looks similar: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154180996587

Thanks for any info. 

The aluminum spur adapter of the FF-03, XV-01 and FF04 are all of the same kind. Aside from that, no other adapters from other models will fit.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

The aluminum spur adapter of the FF-03, XV-01 and FF04 are all of the same kind. Aside from that, no other adapters from other models will fit.

Searched for an XV-01 adapter the other day but found nothing. 

Do you have any links or anything if you know where stock is please? 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GMballistic said:

Searched for an XV-01 adapter the other day but found nothing. 

Do you have any links or anything if you know where stock is please? 

Thanks.

There used to be a lot at our local hobby shop. I got three for two of my FF-03 and one for the XV-01. I'll check if they still have some stocks and let you know.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

There used to be a lot at our local hobby shop. I got three for two of my FF-03 and one for the XV-01. I'll check if they still have some stocks and let you know.

That would be awesome ~ thank you very much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Nicadraus or anyone else that maybe able to shed any light on this. 
I'm building my FF03 and wanted to fit aluminium suspension blocks but am having issues with the front dogbones falling out of the drivecups. I assumed at first it was because I widened the track width too much as I originally fitted some "1A" Tamiya suspension blocks. 

Since then though I bought "1XC" blocks as they were the closest I could get easily and cheaply to the standard "1XD" blocks. 

I am using;
Sakura D3 (44mm) CVD's, Tamiya TA06 steel gear differential and a "Spec R" made gearbox case. 

Put it all together and still feel like the dogbone ends do not sit in the cups enough. I haven't fit it altogether yet with the suspension but am wondering can I use this set up on the front or is the only option using "1XD" blocks with this set up or changing to longer length CVD's??
Thank you for any help.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...