Nicadraus

Tamiya FF Club

10 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I'm making battery mounts for the FF04. The chassis has slots for tape but I don't want to us tape. Making the mounts is easy, and ita mostly done, but one end needs to use the slot to screw the mount to the chassis. At the moment I have it attached with a button head screw which obviously sticks out. The other end has a countersunk hole which I'm using.

Can i use a drill to countersink a piece of the slot, or will this damage the chassis plate, or rather make it start to fray and ruin it over the long term? I can do it at home with a hand drill, or a friend has a mill which would obviously do a better job.

Is there any downside to doing this?

Just be super careful. I have to do this to my TRF211 tub for my transmission conversion and i royally screwed up the first one. If its a slot it will be tricky to keep the material from fraying too. I came across this issue on a FRP TA02 i had briefly for servo mounting. I used one of those Tamiya flat headed screws. Seemed to work ok. You can get 5mm (51211) and 8mm long (9808189) versions. 

• Like 2

The FF bug is back...

I started to tinker with my FF-01. Installed the aluminum c-hubs and universal shafts that came last week. Both are actually for CC-01 but fit the FF-01 well. I also ordered aluminum knuckles but I guess delivery is late. I was originally planning on restoring it back to hopped-up original but since some blue bits came, I decided I'd go for blue theme (again). Replaced front and rear upper suspension turnbuckles to blue aluminum as well as the stabilizer turnbuckles. This kit had the TRF dampers already but I transferred to my FF-03RR because I planned on buying the pink aluminum low friction dampers. But I guess I'll be getting another TRF set (again) for this one. The dampers installed now is just temporary. I also ordered YR blue aluminum steering for TA-02 from RCMart. I also replaced standard bearings to new rubber sealed type.

uyrdfxzh.jpg

hJXtHVFh.jpg

I made a shock mount brace from a 2mm carbon fiber. 

VSjzFc9h.jpg

Replaced the retro fitted stabilizer with a new one and used the stabilizer clamp from my FF-03 spares. 

KamhNboh.jpg

Qa9MNYUh.jpg

2eQC8oSh.jpg

lomJkYYh.jpg

When the re-build is complete, I'll decide later if she will be a runner or a shelf queen (again). :lol:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@Nicadraus Tell me Sir.... Does the "bug" ever leave!!?? 

Sounds like I need a FF-01... I've got a USELESS CC-01 with Aluminium EVERYTHING and CVDs. So I've already got Hopups for one!! 😁

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

@Nicadraus Tell me Sir.... Does the "bug" ever leave!!?? 

Sounds like I need a FF-01... I've got a USELESS CC-01 with Aluminium EVERYTHING and CVDs. So I've already got Hopups for one!! 😁

That bug is...

a RC love bug! :lol:

• Haha 1

Just started building mine this evening. Got the gear box all assembled with spur mounted. Is there supposed to be some slop in the spur hub? I do have the correct cross pin going through it. Surprised to see such a vague set up.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, woppini said:

Just started building mine this evening. Got the gear box all assembled with spur mounted. Is there supposed to be some slop in the spur hub? I do have the correct cross pin going through it. Surprised to see such a vague set up.

What chassis are you building?

29 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

Gotta be FF03 or 04?

Either way, I don't believe there should be any play in that element, mine is pretty solid on an 03 and the 04 is very similar. Maybe a tiny bit of back-and-forth play in the shaft, but not enough to concern me. 

@woppini do you have any pictures?

2 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

FF03, will try and post vid or pic

1 hour ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Gotta be FF03 or 04?

Either way, I don't believe there should be any play in that element, mine is pretty solid on an 03 and the 04 is very similar. Maybe a tiny bit of back-and-forth play in the shaft, but not enough to concern me. 

@woppini do you have any pictures?

I will post some, thanks

So the aluminum knuckles have arrived. This one looks a lot better than the Xtraspeed I installed in my CC-01. Fits well too. I just have to upgrade the kingpins and TRF dampers to complete the front suspension modification.

ktCjoP9h.jpg

FKhuS99h.jpg

U0w2LMsh.jpg

xpuBfZ8h.jpg

J3Wz4m4h.jpg

The aluminum steering set should arrive next week (hopefully). ;)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Will the aluminium steering set from a TA01/02 fit the FF01? Looks very similar, and my plastics have some cracks.

Yes. FF-01, TA01/02 and CC-01 knuckles, c-hubs and universal shafts are all cross compatible with each other.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

Yes. FF-01, TA01/02 and CC-01 knuckles, c-hubs and universal shafts are all cross compatible with each other.

But what about the steering arms themselves, the chassis end of the steering? 

51FB8DWVsFL._AC_SX355_.jpg

5 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

But what about the steering arms themselves, the chassis end of the steering? 

51FB8DWVsFL._AC_SX355_.jpg

I guess it will too. I ordered the YR aluminum steering set for TA02 from RCMart. It should arrive next week (hopefully). I'll  install it right away if it fits and take some pictures.

The plastic on mine has a crack already where the ball connector is located. So it keeps popping out. A good reason to upgrade to aluminium.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

I guess it will too. I ordered the YR aluminum steering set for TA02 from RCMart. It should arrive next week (hopefully). I'll  install it right away if it fits and take some pictures.

The plastic on mine has a crack already where the ball connector is located. So it keeps popping out. A good reason to upgrade to aluminium.

Thanks, i will wait to see yours then 😉 Mine is cracked same place. For now i have put a longer thread ball screw and a nylock nut on the end to hold it together. 

I've been avoiding this thread because I knew it would make me regret selling my FF03 chassis.

Mission accomplished everyone.  :lol:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Blista said:

I've been avoiding this thread because I knew it would make me regret selling my FF03 chassis.

Mission accomplished everyone.  :lol:

Well, time to re-join the FF club! ^_^ Im about 80% done with mine. First front wheel drive for me

• Like 3

@Blista just have a couple of IIPA's (its Saturday night afterall) and then one of these will arrive on Friday

20200824_184352

Sorry I didn't get photos during the build, I really meant to.  I want to start a thread like @ThunderDragonCy for this one when I can finally get back racing.

It was a very nice build, as you'd expect, but the glaring omission is the suspension blocks.  Why did they cheap out on them for a kit of this quality?  Ordered new ones, they're on the slow boat from Hong Kong

20200827_120237

Not a great photo, but the steering is really nice

20200827_120252 20200827_120259

I'm going to run the old Speed Passion for the rest of the year and upgrade motors next year.  The Reds 21.5T will go in the TRF102 and then this and the TA07 will get something faster, most likely a Surpass Rocket V5R.  I've kept the motor wires long for that reason, I'll just cut these down for the new motor.  

SkyRC TS160, DasMikro Sanwa clone receiver and SPT servo.  The rx and servo aren't the usual quality I'd put in a kit like this, I'll have to put a Sanwa rx in there but not sure what I'll take it out of.  May have to stump up for another, as I need one more anyway for my Boomerang (which has spent most of its life without electronics as its the perpetual donor)

20200912_152700

The standard battery mounting method is tape.  I didn't like the idea of tape, so I made these.  Not up to @Nicadraus standard, but they should do the trick.  

20200912_152715 20200912_152718

The last shot shows how long those motor wires are.  Also just noticed that mark on the rear battery holder, no idea.

I have no idea about the body, the first race day I'll just use either a Bittydesign M410 or Proline R9R, I have both already, beat up but servicable.  Do I want a neutral body or aggressive steering?  That will decide which I use.

Are the frontie bodies better for fronties, or are they just a bit more realistic - ie hatchback style like FWD cars vs designed to optimise handling?

• Like 4

@Jonathon Gillham That looks great! Thanks for the photos. Not sure what best body would be. I would be tempted to take both and treat the first race meet as a test session. The frontie bodies aren't better than tc bodies, in fact they are demonstrably worse being taller and heavier. However, frontie class rules in europe and some other places specify hatchback body and somewhat scale looks, so that's why they are like that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

@Blista just have a couple of IIPA's (its Saturday night afterall) and then one of these will arrive on Friday

Have you seen the announcement for the upcoming TA07 MSX?  Better start hiding your credit card on Saturday nights.  :lol:

An FF04 might be a good way to get around the lack of hop-ups available for the FF03.  Very similar to my XV01 as well.  Hmmmm... this could be an expensive idea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let me Second that, @Jonathon Gillham!! 👍👍👌

WOW! Just wow. 😲  I've been drooling over the FF-03 for quite some time, but I've never gotten a good look at the FF-04. WHAT a sweet bit of Kit! I realize that's not the bog standard version, but on appearance alone, it might be one of the finest FWD Chassis' available!!! 

As far as a "frontie", wouldn't a Mondeo Saloon be a decent FWD choice?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Blista said:

Have you seen the announcement for the upcoming TA07 MSX?  Better start hiding your credit card on Saturday nights.  :lol:

An FF04 might be a good way to get around the lack of hop-ups available for the FF03.  Very similar to my XV01 as well.  Hmmmm... this could be an expensive idea.

Haha yeah saw the TA07 MSX. Mine is basically that spec now with the Exo RS7 and lots of blue. Also saw that alloy bulkheads are now going to be available as spare parts, they'll be spendy but so were the steering and DCJ's!

I went FF04 as it shares supension with the TA07 (except f parts, they are TA05v2) so that makes life easier. A more sensible frontie would've been the Xpress for half the price. So absolutely get one to match the XV01, the whole front end is the same I think, and it comes with the apparently impossible to find spur mount.

29 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

Let me Second that, @Jonathon Gillham!! 👍👍👌

WOW! Just wow. 😲  I've been drooling over the FF-03 for quite some time, but I've never gotten a good look at the FF-04. WHAT a sweet bit of Kit! I realize that's not the bog standard version, but on appearance alone, it might be one of the finest FWD Chassis' available!!! 

As far as a "frontie", wouldn't a Mondeo Saloon be a decent FWD choice?

This is the bog standard version, they never did a cheap FF04, just the Evo.

Funny you say the Mondeo, when I raced in the 90s my favourite car at the track was an FF01 Mondeo. I have tried to find a bodyset but they are impossible to find. I wouldn't mind the Vectra from the FF03 but need someone near me(in New Zealand) to buy an FF03 Vectra and sell me the body. Actually @Blista ignore what I said and buy the FF03...

• Like 2

Nice build FF-04 @Jonathon Gillham. How are you liking the SPT 4412LV so far? 

It's really weird that designer/project manger for the FF-04 missed to include the aluminum suspension mounts. Very silly in their part.