Nicadraus

Tamiya FF Club

On 9/9/2020 at 4:29 PM, ThunderDragonCy said:

But what about the steering arms themselves, the chassis end of the steering? 

51FB8DWVsFL._AC_SX355_.jpg

Yes, they fit too. That is what I run in my FF-01.

2019-07-07_10-14-11

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Yes, they fit too. That is what I run in my FF-01.

2019-07-07_10-14-11

That's good to know. Mine just arrived and will fit them tomorrow.

• Like 1

@ThunderDragonCy

Unfortunately the YR steering for TA_02 doesn't come with a bridge. The holes that are supposed to be used for ball connectors for the bridge are too small (about .75mm) and won't fit any screws. :huh:

I will still have to find a way to make this useful. I'll probably create a bridge from a 2mm carbon fiber.

dyRfIZZh.jpg

kU0NOlIh.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

QUESTION Guys....

I was doing some "dream Shopping", and found something that intrigued me..... 

#58143 Tamiya Ford Mondeo - on a "FF" Chassis.  $265.00usd 

JUST FF. No number! Is that FF-01??? 😲

27 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

QUESTION Guys....

Yes it's an FF-01. Because the Ford Mondeo was released with that chassis only.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

Yes it's an FF-01. Because the Ford Mondeo was released with that chassis only.

THANKS! Is that a decent price?

3 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

THANKS! Is that a decent price?

For a new in box? Yes!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Carmine A said:

QUESTION Guys....

It was called the FF originally as that was the only front wheel drive chassis tamiya made (apart from the m01, which also proudly displayed 'FF' on the front of its box) and perhaps they didn't think it would catch on so didn't bother with a number. 

In fact, this may have happened with other chassis too - was the TA01 only named after the TA02 came out? Some old hop up parts' labels that I couldn't bring myself to throw away 25 years ago refer to TA02 by name, but refer to the FF01 and TA01 as 'FWD' and 'Touring and rally car' respectively. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Gentlemen - for clearing that up! I had a feeling.... But I was certain that this experienced Dieus would have the answer! 

I wish I could actually afford that KIT. Not just to kick off my FF Chassis Collection with an Original.... but because I've been intrigued with the Mondeo!! Seeing the "Boys" speak about it frequently on my favorite show, "Top Gear", and the fact that it was never sold in the U.S. -  made it a must have for me. Hopefully I can find one next year.

5 hours ago, Carmine A said:

...the fact that it was never sold in the U.S. -  made it a must have for me. 

The Mondeo was sold in the U.S., although under a different name - the ford contour or mercury mystique. 

The US versions don't look quite as nice as the European ones, in my opinion. You Americans have a knack of reducing the visual appeal of cars sold there but designed elsewhere 😆

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, rich_f said:

The Mondeo was sold in the U.S., although under a different name - the ford contour or mercury mystique. 

The US versions don't look quite as nice as the European ones, in my opinion. You Americans have a knack of reducing the visual appeal of cars sold there but designed elsewhere 😆

Although I'll accept that insult.... Only to a certain extent! 😜 

Back before our Cars were designed by Committee and Stockholders, we had Duesenberg, Auburn, Cord, Packard, Pierce-Arrow and even Lincoln, Cadillac and Imperial - that USED to be amongst the most Beautiful Cars in the World. 

..... We did unofficially get the Mondeo under TWO Marques/Chassis. The first Gen was called the Contour - and was well... UGLY! 

Second Gen we called the "500" then the "Fusion". STILL can't figure out why. They were FAR better than the First, more World Class in Styling AND Performance. 

In the 1970's, 80's and 90's, I can completely agree with Jeremy Clarkson's "assessment" of... 

"How on EARTH did you Americans get SO little power out of SO much displacement?" He was 100% correct, for that time period.  Especially in the 70's! We had Engines with up to 8.2 Litres - putting out LESS than 200hp!!! Absolutely pathetic.

23 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

@ThunderDragonCy

Unfortunately the YR steering for TA_02 doesn't come with a bridge. The holes that are supposed to be used for ball connectors for the bridge are too small (about .75mm) and won't fit any screws. :huh:

I will still have to find a way to make this useful. I'll probably create a bridge from a 2mm carbon fiber.

dyRfIZZh.jpg

kU0NOlIh.jpg

The crazy thing about that Yeah Racing set is that it is designed to use the stock bent wire bridge. You push it through those tiny holes like you would on the stock plastic parts. In my mind that kinda defeats the purpose of the upgrade, as much of the slop from the stock arrangement comes from the wire bridge and its holes.

2 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

The crazy thing about that Yeah Racing set is that it is designed to use the stock bent wire bridge. You push it through those tiny holes like you would on the stock plastic parts. In my mind that kinda defeats the purpose of the upgrade, as much of the slop from the stock arrangement comes from the wire bridge and its holes.

True. Plus this one actually doesn't come nor can be fitted with bearings. It has a built-in hard plastic bushing.

Is there any way to lower the IR of the FF04? I'm guessing there isn't but if anyone is going to know they'll be on here.

On my TA07 I was about to swap the centre gear for a 20T which dropped it from 2.15 to 1.85. The weird thing is, the motor runs cooler with a lower IR. I have no idea why, the only thing I can think of (that makes sense to me) is that I swapped the fan out for a better one at some point and forgot about it. That seems more likely than a lower IR lowering the temps. Someone on RCTech claimed it works though, hence I bought a different gear for about $3 to try.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Is there any way to lower the IR of the FF04? I'm guessing there isn't but if anyone is going to know they'll be on here.

On my TA07 I was about to swap the centre gear for a 20T which dropped it from 2.15 to 1.85. The weird thing is, the motor runs cooler with a lower IR. I have no idea why, the only thing I can think of (that makes sense to me) is that I swapped the fan out for a better one at some point and forgot about it. That seems more likely than a lower IR lowering the temps. Someone on RCTech claimed it works though, hence I bought a different gear for about $3 to try.

No, there isn't. It's all gears inside there, so it's fixed IR

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

No, there isn't. It's all gears inside there, so it's fixed IR

I was 99% sure that was the case but thought it was worth asking. There is a lot of room to achieve the low FDR with a new spur and pinion, although will need to change the motor screw from a cap head as it sticks out too far and touches a big pinion. Why do they always use cap heads as motor screws?

• Like 1

Hope this isn't an odd question, but I consider this group the "FF Chassis Experts"! 😊

I downloaded 3 different FF-03 Manuals... (USUALLY my first step before doing something INSANE like another PIECEMEAL build!!!)😲😖

Anyway, the FF-03 and FF-03R come with a Ball Diff - which I DON'T want... and the FF-03 EVO comes with a sealed Gear Diff - which I DO! 

Could I get that Gear Diff separately?? Nothing wrong with Ball Diffs - I just prefer the "set and forget" aspect of the Gear Diff.

AND..... Maybe someone can talk me OUT OF doing a Piecemeal FF-03 Build!!! 😜😖

3 hours ago, Carmine A said:

Hope this isn't an odd question, but I consider this group the "FF Chassis Experts"! 😊

I downloaded 3 different FF-03 Manuals... (USUALLY my first step before doing something INSANE like another PIECEMEAL build!!!)😲😖

Anyway, the FF-03 and FF-03R come with a Ball Diff - which I DON'T want... and the FF-03 EVO comes with a sealed Gear Diff - which I DO! 

Could I get that Gear Diff separately?? Nothing wrong with Ball Diffs - I just prefer the "set and forget" aspect of the Gear Diff.

You can put a gear diff in any FF03. You just need the wider A parts tree from the R (9008152) and a TA06 gear diff. Done! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

You can put a gear diff in any FF03. You just need the wider A parts tree from the R (9008152) and a TA06 gear diff. Done! 

THANKS Cy!!! So, TA-06 is the Magic Tamiya part? It is sold as a unit (complete Kit), or do I need to source it bit by bit?? 😲 

Hopefully the Parts Tree won't be so hard.... I've had pretty good luck with getting Tamiya Trees.

20 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

THANKS Cy!!! So, TA-06 is the Magic Tamiya part? It is sold as a unit (complete Kit), or do I need to source it bit by bit?? 😲 

Hopefully the Parts Tree won't be so hard.... I've had pretty good luck with getting Tamiya Trees.

The diff is a whole set. Just search TA06 gear diff. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

The diff is a whole set. Just search TA06 gear diff. 

GOT the Gear Diff! No luck whatsoever with the wider Case.... but I'm stubborn 😜

12 hours ago, Carmine A said:

The standard FF-03 and Pro versions only come with standard ball diffs while the R and EVO uses gear diff. The R and Evo also have carbon reinforced R spec gear case that fits the gear diff. Like @ThunderDragonCy said, get the gear case for the R and TA-06 gear diff set (comes with steel bevel already which is a must).

Since you're also upgrading the diff, you might want to get a CVD or DCJ. Tamiya CVD (44mm) set is quite hard to find now. Your other cheap option is Sakura 44mm CVD. Fit perfectly in the FF-03 and does the job. I posted the Sakura CVD here a few pages down.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Carmine A said:

GOT the Gear Diff! No luck whatsoever with the wider Case.... but I'm stubborn 😜

image.png.c7880e0abbc82b97da548a4601a7c439.png

• Thanks 1

just put the gear diff in my beater ff03 and its so much better.  the ball diff in that car sucked.   outdrives out fall apart all the time. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

The standard FF-03 and Pro versions only come with standard ball diffs while the R and EVO uses gear diff. The R and Evo also have carbon reinforced R spec gear case that fits the gear diff. Like @ThunderDragonCy said, get the gear case for the R and TA-06 gear diff set (comes with steel bevel already which is a must).

Since you're also upgrading the diff, you might want to get a CVD or DCJ. Tamiya CVD (44mm) set is quite hard to find now. Your other cheap option is Sakura 44mm CVD. Fit perfectly in the FF-03 and does the job. I posted the Sakura CVD here a few pages down.

Thanks! Right, so the R and Evo. I found several in the $23-30 range, simply looking up TA-06. 😉 

Still having trouble finding the Case.... But then, I've got TIME. 😖 

If I can somehow pull $100 out of thin air, I can get a FF-03 KIT, minus Electronics, Body, Wheels and Tires, no Box. I'd LOVE it. IF.

And I DEFINITELY had no intention of running Dogbones!! I wouldn't even run them in my M Chassis Cars, no WAY I'd do it in something like this! DCJs sound cool, but my use couldn't justify them. CVDs on the other hand, are a MUST for me. Tamiya is out of my miniscule Budget. Didn't know about Sakura! Nice option. I've always had great luck with Yeah Racing CVDs... Do they make a 44mm Shaft Set that would work?? 

Already started looking at upgrades. I probably want the CF Shock Towers and Servo Brace... How about CF Bumper Braces, Rear Stiffener Plates and 54259 CF Motor Brace?