Nicadraus

Tamiya FF Club

22 minutes ago, Sweatpants said:

just put the gear diff in my beater ff03 and its so much better.  the ball diff in that car sucked.   outdrives out fall apart all the time. 

The best mod for the ball diff in the FF-03 is by replacing the ball joint set with aluminum (I used YR instead or Tamiya) and apply a lot of AWG. Then replace the stock dogbone with CVD. 

In my Pro-R, I'm using gear while ball in my RR with the mods I mentioned. I'm surprised that the ball performs like a gear diff with 30k oil. No leaking problems too. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sweatpants said:

just put the gear diff in my beater ff03 and its so much better.  the ball diff in that car sucked.   outdrives out fall apart all the time. 

THANKS!! Besides the too frequent need for adjustments, that's the other thing I never liked about Ball Diffs.

With a FIVE digit part number, I might have better luck. 😊

27 minutes ago, Sweatpants said:

image.png.c7880e0abbc82b97da548a4601a7c439.png

BTW WHERE is this sold at that price?? 

EDIT: @Nicadraus just posted it! 😉

Edited by Carmine A
  • Like 1

I got my gear diff, the case and a terrascorcher a5 upgrade part in like 2 weeks.  it was the cheapest place i could find it!

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sweatpants said:

I got my gear diff, the case and a terrascorcher a5 upgrade part in like 2 weeks.  it was the cheapest place i could find it!

You must NOT be in the United States!! 😖 China HATES us lately, and average shipping times to Long Beach Harbor AVERAGES a MONTH to 6 Weeks!!! 😠😠😠😠😖

...... Although the only one I haven't ordered from yet is RCMart.

42 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

You must NOT be in the United States!! 😖 China HATES us lately, and average shipping times to Long Beach Harbor AVERAGES a MONTH to 6 Weeks!!! 😠😠😠😠😖

lol Canada my friend.  in theory it shouldn't be any better here.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Carmine A said:

A month to six weeks is already fast considering the distance and pandemic situation. I live in Asia and and it's just a two hour flight from HK and it takes two weeks to get the items here. But at least they arrive safe and complete. The first thing I do to every parcel that arrives is disinfect them thoroughly inside and out of the packaging which is what every person should be doing as a standard protocol. ;)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

A month to six weeks is already fast considering the distance and pandemic situation. I live in Asia and and it's just a two hour flight from HK and it takes two weeks to get the items here. But at least they arrive safe and complete. The first thing I do to every parcel that arrives is disinfect them thoroughly inside and out of the packaging which is what every person should be doing as a standard protocol. ;)

Right! That last sentence should be inked onto EVERYONE'S Arms!! 

You just gave me a ray of hope! I'm not TRYING to be a pessimist, but experience hasn't been kind. Banggood took 10 WEEKS to deliver a whole Kit!!!! 😲😠  Something you'd think they would want to put even a LITTLE speed on, given that it was a major purchase.   (OH - and that was APR 2019 - pre Pandemic!!) 😖

But I forgot - RCMart is in Hong Kong!! 😊  They don't hate us as much Politically. Even on their Evilbay listings, they're only showing a 3-4 week delivery time!  If I get Money anytime soon, that might be my choice. I need a Body for my TT-02 Chassis FIRST, but for my own childish Ego, I've got to at least START collecting FF-03 bits!! 😉

1 minute ago, Carmine A said:

Right! That last sentence should be inked onto EVERYONE'S Arms!! 

You just gave me a ray of hope! I'm not TRYING to be a pessimist, but experience hasn't been kind. Banggood took 10 WEEKS to deliver a whole Kit!!!! 😲😠  Something you'd think they would want to put even a LITTLE speed on, given that it was a major purchase.   (OH - and that was APR 2019 - pre Pandemic!!) 😖

But I forgot - RCMart is in Hong Kong!! 😊  They don't hate us as much Politically. Even on their Evilbay listings, they're only showing a 3-4 week delivery time!  If I get Money anytime soon, that might be my choice. I need a Body for my TT-02 Chassis FIRST, but for my own childish Ego, I've got to at least START collecting FF-03 bits!! 😉

Oh by the way, ordering from the RCmart website is much, much better than their ebay account. More shipping options and more items to window shop.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

Oh by the way, ordering from the RCmart website is much, much better than their ebay account. More shipping options and more items to window shop.

MORE items to Window Shop? Are you TRYING to get me Divorced!!?? 😜😂😂😂

• Haha 1

80 dollar never run bare bones kit.  found a honda body and some nos hpi te37 wheels and now we have a pretty runner.  tossed some bearings and a decent servo saver into.  gave it a right refresh in the shock dept.    very exciting

5C9D5E2C-CF7E-453F-9D76-0B85AE950BCB.jpeg

• Like 7

@Sweatpants, you didn't happen to get that from an Evilbay Seller from Michigan?? Just curious.

Looks like the beginning of another sweet Build!!

11 hours ago, Carmine A said:

@Sweatpants, you didn't happen to get that from an Evilbay Seller from Michigan?? Just curious.

Looks like the beginning of another sweet Build!!

no i actually bought another car, never run df02, and he said he had another car he’ll bring by.  ended up being this one.  it was a beetle kit.  body was rough, wheels were mint though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweatpants said:

no i actually bought another car, never run df02, and he said he had another car he’ll bring by.  ended up being this one.  it was a beetle kit.  body was rough, wheels were mint though.

That's awesome! I'm REALLY hoping to find a FF-03 kit that cheap or even LESS..... 

At this point I almost don't care if it's a basket case! I enjoy bringing things back to life as much as building new kits!!

• Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 7:06 PM, Sweatpants said:

80 dollar never run bare bones kit.  found a honda body and some nos hpi te37 wheels and now we have a pretty runner.  tossed some bearings and a decent servo saver into.  gave it a right refresh in the shock dept.    very exciting

5C9D5E2C-CF7E-453F-9D76-0B85AE950BCB.jpeg

ok guys.  So the time is coming to lay down paint.  This body is the Castrol civic.  So it came with a full set of decals, two colour paint scheme etc.  Do I spray it like the box art?  or do I spray it like a street car.  IM honestly leaning towards street as I have some many racing liveries, but I'd love some input!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sweatpants said:

ok guys.  So the time is coming to lay down paint.  This body is the Castrol civic.  So it came with a full set of decals, two colour paint scheme etc.  Do I spray it like the box art?  or do I spray it like a street car.  IM honestly leaning towards street as I have some many racing liveries, but I'd love some input!

make it your own style, box art can be a bit boring. you could make a street car, and use some of the stickers to make it kind of a street racer. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Alexei said:

make it your own style, box art can be a bit boring. you could make a street car, and use some of the stickers to make it kind of a street racer. 

2 hours ago, Carmine A said:

@Sweatpants, my vote would be for Custom Street - not just a bog standard Civic...

Yup I think thats the way im gonna go.  I took a look at the decal set and theres some great stickers in there.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sweatpants said:

Yup I think thats the way im gonna go.  I took a look at the decal set and theres some great stickers in there.

Just..... PLEASE don't Camber out your Wheels!!! YUK! 😖😠😳

9 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

Just..... PLEASE don't Camber out your Wheels!!! YUK! 😖😠😳

:wacko: never.  im very picky with being able to drive my cars any time.  not just look at them.

• Thanks 1

Been away from the forum and RC for a little while as life and mainly work (which has gone mental) getting in the way...

Did find time to bag myself an FF04 kit though as a winter project. Probably should finish the lockdown and summer projects first really 🤪

Can anyone advise on areas I should be aware of on the build? Diff/gearbox shimming, wheelbase etc etc

Greg

DF23E59E-21F7-40E2-A95E-C6B60ED74677.thumb.jpeg.332d704148b07a320ea1ec1ddb1ffe48.jpeg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, gregdogghurst said:

Been away from the forum and RC for a little while as life and mainly work (which has gone mental) getting in the way...

Did find time to bag myself an FF04 kit though as a winter project. Probably should finish the lockdown and summer projects first really 🤪

Can anyone advise on areas I should be aware of on the build? Diff/gearbox shimming, wheelbase etc etc

Greg

DF23E59E-21F7-40E2-A95E-C6B60ED74677.thumb.jpeg.332d704148b07a320ea1ec1ddb1ffe48.jpeg

Suspension mounts/blocks - replace with aluminum. It's weird that Tamiya didn't include this in a premium kit. Also if you can change the plastic bevel gears to steel, that will be effective as well. Because the plastic ones wear out quicker on high speed cornering.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicadraus said:

.... Also if you can change the plastic bevel gears to steel, that will be effective as well. Because the plastic ones wear out quicker on high speed cornering.

Doesn't that seem odd!? You're right, "premium" Kit. Amazingly, my TT-02 Diff Spider Gears are FRP... NO appreciable wear in over 4 years! But they are nearly twice the size of the FF Chassis Diffs. I've also never run Brushless in her - YET.

DOES the TA-06/FF Gear Diff also come with Plastic Gears? That might be one of the pre build items to get. 😉