Kamika007z

Tamiya Mud Blaster Project

Hi All,

I always wanted to build a Mud Blaster but never got the opportunity to get one.

Since Tamiya likes to take existing models and mix them up up a bit like taking the Subaru Brat and putting it on the ORV platform, and isn't showing signs of re-releasing one... yet. I took it upon myself to take one of my existing Monster Beetle (2015) chassis (with MIP diff kit, rubber sealed ball bearings, & Super Stock BZ motor) and convert it over to a Mud Blaster.

I purchased a Subaru Brat re-release body set, rear body mounts, and set to convert it over to a Mud Blaster. As far as I can tell, with the exception of the window parts being darker than the original Mud Blaster being the only difference and everything else being the same, the process should be straight-forward like the original. The body is even stamped 1983 so Tamiya is using the same exact molds as before.

I wasn't able to find the original decals so for now I ended up using the MCI Racing repro decals. If anyone has an original set, please let me know!

Let me all know what you think! Also , this was my first attempt at painting... I really learned a lot with how to keep a brush steady...

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 9.46.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 9.46.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 9.45.30 PM.png

For the headlights, I covered them with putty which allowed for me to paint around the edges silver with ease.

Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 9.44.50 PM.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Wow, seeing that body always brings back so many memories.  The Mud Blaster was my only childhood NIB, I can practically still smell the spray paint looking at your example.

Great work :) 

Run it with care - the Brat body is a bit fragile :o 

That looks ace, started something similar myself just never got round to painting it.. 

Thank you!

I still need to add the driver inside it. 

I’m definitely not going to run this but keep it as a shelf queen.

I was looking at at the original manual when painting this and used all Tamiya paints but couldn’t make sense of what colors the taillights should be including the trim around it so I ended up Googling a real Subaru Brat for reference. :)

A quick note: I just looked into this a bit further but it would seem that the window tint is the same as the original release of the Mud Blaster so all I need to try and find are the original decals. :)

Update:

I was able to find a vintage decal sheet so I swapped it out for those. Thankfully the MCI Racing decals are as easy to take off as they are to put on.

I also took the opportunity to correct the placement of the words “Mud Blaster” on the right side of the car that were accidentally swapped from my initial posting. 

I’m still dragging my feet on the driver but that should be a quick addition once I get to around it. :)

A94DE00F-1DA1-4475-B833-F251AE15621C.jpeg

• Like 4

Anyone have any tips on keeping these old decals from lifting? I tried lightly blow drying them but that didn't seem to do the trick.

Thank you in advance!