Sign in to follow this  
jonboy1

skyrc toro - any thoughts?

I'm pondering a new ESC and keep coming back to the SkyRC Toro TS120A.

It supports brushless, sensored motors, looks easily programmable and tunable, and not a crazy price.

Thing is - I have no idea if they are any good :) 

Does anyone have any experience with them?

The other alternative I've looked at is the Hobbywing XERUN XR10 Stock Spec 80A ESC. i know Hobbywing stuff is generally well liked - any thoughts on how they compare?

Many thanks! :) 

Seeing as it will just sit on a shelf any old thing will do :P

From my experience Sky RC stuff seems to be pretty good.

Another option might be the Hobbywing 10BL120. It's got the basic programming options but might lack the odd feature compared to a race spec unit but then it's a chunk cheaper. 

• Haha 1

You are soooo rude! :P

Doesn't your experience run as far as it sitting in a plastic crate on some racking? ;)

The Toro 120A has been great for me. It has a ton of programming options, more than I will ever use. The power button is on the esc itself so you may have to take the body off every time you want to drive, but that's not a big deal.

• Like 1

I have a few SkyRC Toro's, the TS50, TS120 and TS160. Performance seems as good as any in that I can't really notice a huge difference in stock class racing between them. I switched to the TS160 in my 4wd buggy because it has lower internal resistance (one of the few ,manufacturers to give a number, most just say "low internal resistance ").

Performance is good, programming is easy with the progbox and they have enough programming options. 

I've had 1 fail after 1 race day, RCMart replaced under warranty easy enough.

They are surprisingly popular at racetracks because of their price.

• Thanks 1

I've got a TS50 in my Schumacher CAT and Tt-02b. I think they're ace, really easy to program (lots of parameters), small and stay cool without a fan. In fact it was the only one I could fit in the CAT as its all a bit tight for space. 

• Like 1

I have two TS160. Installed in one of my FF-03s and the other one is a reserve in case I want to use another BL system in another kit. So far been using it for two years and working great. I  have done my custom settings on my computer via the Skylink and program box.

9x4zOdAl.jpg

uSEPCUZl.jpg

• Like 2

Good morning . How is everyone?

This thread seemed to be the most appropriate for asking the questions I have.

It's been a while since I've run any of my cars and was thinking of doing so soon. Will need to do some maintenance first. I was thinking that I may upgrade my radio gear. Using my stock Lunchbox as the base. It has an ESC and the stock servos. 

All my radio gear is of the crystal variety and in the MHz range. I've read and seen that the FlySky Gtc3 controller seems to be quite popular and negates the need for the little crystal cans. Is this true? Meaning that the same transmitter can be used for different cars as long as the car has a compatible receiver.  It also seems to do away with aerials on both the transmitter and the receiver. If i was to go for this set up would I need to change the ESC or Servos?

Any help is much appreciated.

On 9/7/2020 at 5:26 PM, BigJag said:

Good morning . How is everyone?

This thread seemed to be the most appropriate for asking the questions I have.

It's been a while since I've run any of my cars and was thinking of doing so soon. Will need to do some maintenance first. I was thinking that I may upgrade my radio gear. Using my stock Lunchbox as the base. It has an ESC and the stock servos. 

All my radio gear is of the crystal variety and in the MHz range. I've read and seen that the FlySky Gtc3 controller seems to be quite popular and negates the need for the little crystal cans. Is this true? Meaning that the same transmitter can be used for different cars as long as the car has a compatible receiver.  It also seems to do away with aerials on both the transmitter and the receiver. If i was to go for this set up would I need to change the ESC or Servos?

Any help is much appreciated.

2.5ghz controllers are far much better than old AM radios that uses crystal type. It also has a more stable and longer range. Flysky GT3B and Radiolink are popular budget radio with good response and features. I personally chose the Radiolink RC4GS over the Flysky. Also, other electronics now are much affordable than they were before. From $10 ESCs to $10 brushed modified motors. Extra receivers for Radiolink or Flysky are very cheap too ranging from $8-12. While cheap but reliable digital servos with all metal gears can range from $10-30.

• Like 1

I have the HobbyKing X Car 120A, I bought a USB adapter to plug the esc into my laptop for setup. 

For the HobbyKing esc I use the Hobbywing USB software. It even lets me flash other firmwares on the esc.

But it seems the Hobbyking esc’s are out of stock. I really was a bang for buck at 25$

My friend had a TS50, it was nice.

Go for it!

• Like 1