Lunchy

VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE RALLY or Just Beetle

Hello everyone.  Question.  Any idea why there is such a price difference in these 2 kits?  Seems like they would be similar.  The rally car is even 4 wheel drive so I thought that would be more expensive.

image.png.448f51fde48fbb176feca3c4d9a7a173.png

The Beetle Rally is only £10 more in the uk, same shop. I’ve only had a cursory glance through the manuals and excluding the body the MF01X looks like it has more parts.  Where are you looking? 

Funny thing is now they are $10 is difference.  Weird.  Thanks for the reply though!

The rally will require more paint and possibly more bearings too, if you are considering all costs as a factor 👍🏽

tamiyausa.com currently lists the MSRP for the M06 as $246 and the MF-01X as $202.  That's a fair price difference and as the OP states, it seems to be skewed the wrong way.  You'd think the MF-01X would have a higher parts count and therefore be more expensive to produce.  I've glanced through the manuals and as far as I can tell, both have basic non-sealed gear diffs and friction shocks.  Both have threaded-rod upper arms (as opposed to the more basic solid plastic upper arm on older kits).  The M06 has a proper steering crank whereas the MF-01X has direct-to-servo steering links, which is generally considered a cheaper / more basic solution.

There's no obvious reason why the M06 would be that much more expensive.  The rally decals are Tamiya's own licence-free design and I doubt there are licenced VW decals on the M06 decal set that aren't also on the rally decal set.

However - and here's the crux of the matter - logic and reason never seemed to go into Tamiya's pricing strategy.  So if we're wondering why the two cars should be so differently priced, the best answer is: nobody outside of Tamiya's marketing team knows.