Ray McCaleb

I have completed my first build, a Grand hauler.

The details include MFC 01 and Tamiya Light Gun Metal paint. It is mostly a stock build with a couple small changes. I installed the speaker over the steering and shift servos using brackets from Bob at HobbyConcepts. This facilitated a clean, detailed cab interior; all electronics are in the sleeper. I fabricated a styrene sheet to close off the cab from the sleeper and covered it with felt to simulate a privacy curtain and cover wires. I currently am awaiting an order for JST micro plugs/sockets which will be installed between the MFC and cab roof lights and turn signals. This will facilitate easy separation of the cab and chassis. I wanted fog lights so swapped out the Grand Hauler front bumper for one from a King Hauler. I added two LEDs to the stock LEDs providing illumination for all light buckets...no dummies. Horns are Tamiya metal replacements... metal bullet roof light are on order. I fabricated an aluminum diamond plate for the rear of the frame and a temporary one for the front covering the coupler servo. I have not yet decided on the final layout of the fifth wheel/coupler linkage and servo. I have a motorized leg set and Tamiya flatbed on order. I intend to install wireless lights on the trailer using a second receiver as in Bob’s video. The visor is attached with machine screws. I have the painted rear fenders but went with the half fenders and mud flaps...more traditional look. Control is via a Turnigy TGY-I6 radio/receiver modified by Hobbyconcepts. I like having the shift on the three position switch. I have all MFC functions using this radio and employing high/low rates as per the video. I am investigating the use of an electronic switch, controlled from the radio, that will provide on/off capability for the vibration unit while maintaining MFC control of the unit.

To display the truck I purchased two 72”x12” and a 24”x12” laminated shelves; one of the long ones was painted flat black. A stop was installed at either end...don’t want it to find it’s way to the floor. The assembled unit occupies the top of two adjoining bookcases in our home office. The truck’s on/off switch, under the driver step, is easily accessible. With the tractor placed, 52” remains for a trailer...plenty long. I will likely apply brick paper to the back wall and a loading dock/roll-up door on the right end...maybe add some gooseneck scale lights.

BFB293CC-6EB4-48A2-9D1D-8680949BC7A7.jpeg

44B81A43-9D76-42EC-A3DF-855E8A106053.jpeg

8FC2D78B-98F3-468D-83B4-A314A816B8AD.jpeg

B540D436-BAEE-4B03-9EDE-CCA55D943730.jpeg

2F11AD20-1273-4A18-813F-2172A65D5CF3.jpeg

E3482971-441B-4355-8333-41F68CCC49B7.jpeg

BD00EDED-3780-4C90-B695-2FB326318947.jpeg

C72C42F8-B723-4E19-B25E-67FD14A82FEE.jpeg

• Like 7

If RC Vehicles could have nightmares it would be of the MFCU ...............................................I'm scared😯

On 8/13/2020 at 5:06 PM, ACCEL said:

If RC Vehicles could have nightmares it would be of the MFCU ...............................................I'm scared😯

This being my first build I was somewhat intimidated when it came to the MFC. I watched several videos, especially those at Hobbyconcepts.com, and moved ahead. It is a bit more labor intensive, but I went slowly...read, watch, plug in, TEST...then repeat for the next function. I resolved each problem as I went and when finished, was finished. All I did when the build was complete was solder in 7 mini plugs (Micro JST) between the MFC and the cab lights (roof, headlights, blinkers). Makes the cab and chassis easily separable.     (Ray)

• Like 2

Nice job on you first truck. Sounds and looks like you have been bitten by the SEMI TRUCK BUG and will have a fleet soon. That's ok, it's a fun ride! Enjoy.

Forgot to say that Bob from Hobbyconcepts is a good guy. He does great video's, helpful information, and quick shipping.

7 hours ago, Tamiya Fan 1 said:

Forgot to say that Bob from Hobbyconcepts is a good guy. He does great video's, helpful information, and quick shipping.

Agree! Bob has been great in helping me through this first build. His videos are superb and servicing the orders I have placed with him...the best!