Dr_GN

MCI Racing Sticker Errors

Anyone had issues with MCI stickers?

I've just finished my Frog body, and the black netting stickers have heavy white shadowing, and the side "Frog Racing Team" stickers are way too long.

I've contacted them to see what they'll do, but I wondered if anyone else had similar issues?

Cheers.

F7V9DMkC.jpg

pUv4Wc9Y.jpg

PQ2REeR4.jpg

• Confused 1

In my experience they may not always be perfect, but they stand by their products and are quick to resolve any issues. I'm sure they'll do right by you in the end.

• Like 5

The font on the long sticker needs adjusted to tighten it up. I think the kerning is our.

I’d probably convert it into an artwork and pull it to the right length.

Its well out.

My experience has also been positive. 

It looks like somebody accidentally printed it as 100% x 105% or something.  Like Turnip says, I'm sure they'll do right by you. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I'll see what they say.

I don't think it's an overall scaling issue becasue the NGK sticker appears to be exactly the right diameter.

No response to my email, so I've ended up buying Tamiya re-re stickers from Modelsport to replace the faulty ones. The others on the MCI sheet are OK-ish, but the white shadowing is pretty bad. Lucky they're going on a white base otherwise the whole lot would be in the bin.

Not impressed.

try to send them from another email adress.

I have simular problems but Nathaniel (MCI) do respont quick, after sorting out spam folder issues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nathaniel can be slow to reply to emails.  I think he's a bit overwhelmed with orders and work.  Not trying to make excuses, but it took him 11 days to reply to an email I sent him last month.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Placed my first order with MCI July 15 for a 2wd Slash project.

The main decal had a rice size space that was completely devoid of paint. Emailed (no response), called (no answer) and even tried chat on his web site (only to be directed to call), all to no avail. Only after I filed a Paypal claim did he respond... super lame in my opinion.

Shipping was a bit expensive too. Paid $5 (within Canada) for shipping to see it arrive in a regular folder with 2 stamps on it (approx $2). And when it did arrive the decal sheet was creased due to it being stuffed into my mailbox. I've shipped rare, original decals (BMX) all over the world and never sent out a package w/o a caution on how not to handle (e.g., Do Not Bend).

Finally, late last week I received my replacement decal, 6 plus weeks after the initial order. Needless to say, won't be doing business with Nathaniel again for my upcoming Winter project.

I have used them twice for original Wild Willy reprod decals, and both times were perfect. They do have options to change the colors, and size, so be may have been an accidental re-size on either end. Give them the opportunity to make it right, because they are a good company. 

• Like 2

I have ordered from Nathaniel in the past a few times. One time it was great, another, the quality wasn’t that great but better than other repros that I have seen on eBay. I’m definitely not a fan of how it was shipped also. Stuffed on a cardboard sheet on one side and then into a envelope with no protective board on top and that was stuffed into my mailbox just like axel68 had described. Took a while to receive it too with no response from him when I inquired about the status of the order. 

That being said, it’s one guy trying to do right for our community so I would like to support him as much as I can, but I haven’t really seen any other viable alternatives out there to try as well. 

Does anyone know of any other alternative companies out there aside from MCI?

• Like 1

I've used MCI decals on several occasion on runners.  I wouldn't use them on any shelfer / all vintage model... both for authenticity and for the (albeit minor) visible differences to genuine decals.  I also wouldn't use re-re decals on a vintage build, so no surprise on the MCI.  But for those I *have* used they've been pretty good.  The one most egregious error I noticed - which has since been fixed! - is that they had one side of the lightning decal wrong on the Supershot.  The originals were not symmetrical since the body is also asymmetrical at that spot, but the MCI decals were mirror images of the one side that has a small cut-out.  I think I used them regardless on my Supershot runner, since there's no way I was going to use the Super Hotshot re-re ones.

Overall, dealing with Nathaneal is very good and he should be willing to help out if you have a problem.  I've even sent them some original decals they didn't have so they could create reproductions (for the Futaba FXT in particular).  Nice guy and good products for the price... but no replacement for vintage original.

• Like 1

Imagine just how insanely busy he has got during the worldwide pandemic.

I would expect him to be a little busy, and need some time off!! That would explain the delay in reply.

On 9/1/2020 at 9:41 AM, mman2005 said:

@Dr_GN have you heard from Nathaniel yet?

No, nothing. I ordered a Tamiya re-re set and got the generic decals from that to make one good set. Applied using some heat from a hairdryer. Bit disappointed that I had to buy another set, and didn't get a response, but I'm happy with the results all things considered.

My pal wants some decals for his Hummer, I actually suggested MCI becasue they don't seem to be available anywhere else, so we will see what they are like. I have warned him that they might not be great though.

Re. originality - it's an occasional runner and a display model. I've kept the all-original body with orginal decals for posterity - it's hanging on my office wall (and the original wheels and tyres). It's also got the original speed controller and ceramic resistors, but runs with a pretty much invisile ESC above the battery. It's just nice to have something on display that's to my current standard of finish rather than the 13 year old me...

cFhESqda.jpg

CX3VKxyq.jpg

zqZvb6dP.jpg

wGSHTWNy.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/26/2020 at 3:44 PM, beefmuffin said:

I've used MCI decals on several occasion on runners.  I wouldn't use them on any shelfer / all vintage model... both for authenticity and for the (albeit minor) visible differences to genuine decals.  I also wouldn't use re-re decals on a vintage build, so no surprise on the MCI.  But for those I *have* used they've been pretty good.  The one most egregious error I noticed - which has since been fixed! - is that they had one side of the lightning decal wrong on the Supershot.  The originals were not symmetrical since the body is also asymmetrical at that spot, but the MCI decals were mirror images of the one side that has a small cut-out.  I think I used them regardless on my Supershot runner, since there's no way I was going to use the Super Hotshot re-re ones.

Overall, dealing with Nathaneal is very good and he should be willing to help out if you have a problem.  I've even sent them some original decals they didn't have so they could create reproductions (for the Futaba FXT in particular).  Nice guy and good products for the price... but no replacement for vintage original.

Gotta thank you beefmuffin.  As I bought a set of FXT decals from MCI just recently.  

• Like 1

Although Nathanael's way of communication is a bit, lets say to the point, he is very helpful and thrustworthy. I recently ordered a Dynastorm decal sheet but it came out very grainy. I informed Nathanael and a couple of weeks later I received TWO new sheets by mail. This time crispy sharp. Colour is a bit off though, but you can't have it all...And the other decals I bought from MCI amond which Bear Hawk, Astute and Frog, were good quality. 

• Like 1

If you want a challenge get the MCI Dirt Thrasher stickers - the blue is way off the Tamiya PS4 paint so you have to be creative...

not mine but you get the point 

EEE21821-95B8-40F4-84A4-AA238B51B215.jpeg

16 hours ago, Bastiaan said:

Although Nathanael's way of communication is a bit, lets say to the point, he is very helpful and thrustworthy. I recently ordered a Dynastorm decal sheet but it came out very grainy. I informed Nathanael and a couple of weeks later I received TWO new sheets by mail. This time crispy sharp. Colour is a bit off though, but you can't have it all...And the other decals I bought from MCI amond which Bear Hawk, Astute and Frog, were good quality. 

I'd have welcomed any communication to be honest...

• Like 2

Finally got around to finishing a driver for it. Never bothered when I built it, but thought I’d paint the one I got on the servo saver sprue kit:

c5U6qpQy.jpg

If things get muddy, obviously he can ask for the visor to be lowered biglaugh

4s2jiYrK.jpg

• Like 3

I had an issue with terra scorcher decals (pre re re) and Nathaneal responded quickly, amended them and send me a new set.

original 

OiyUZNG.jpg

MCI 

eYXofuK.jpg

(Almost like font was in bold)

bXk6gsi.jpg

new decals from MCI resolved

and as for colour match - no complaints

r0357os.jpg

he’s a decent guy - not Amazon ;)

as for postage being a lot - I find him very reasonable - Canada to the UK = $9 Canadian = £5

As has been said, badly sized decals normally an error somewhere in the order  as I’ve probably had 10 sets from MCI and they are spot on 

JJ

• Like 1

I think MCI makes very good decals. Shipping prices to the US are reasonable. In fact , usually if you spend $50.00, you get free shipping, at least to the US. I just try and bundle my orders and plan ahead.

I am so much suffering with MCI service now. Cant say any good words about. :blink:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Collin said:

I am so much suffering with MCI service now. Cant say any good words about. :blink:

Sadly I didn't have a great experience either. Shame really as I would have liked to have purchased more at some point.