Carmine A

QUESTION for the M Chassis Fans, or anyone who would know!

Hiya!  I've been playing with the joys of parts interchangeability between Tamiya models... 

While I'm finishing up my M05 PIECEMEAL build (and vow never to do that again!), I found a bunch of duplicate hardware and Gearbox bits... Almost enough to where if I could get the Plastic Trees, I could feasibly build a SECOND! 

Back to parts swapping, and the POINT. Do ANY of you know, if the A Parts from the M05 Type II, would fit in place of the older M05 A Parts???  (The Front Chassis) 

I'm only interested because the Type II has the larger Battery Tray, to easily fit Lipo Batteries. 😁

Thanks my Friends!! 👍👍

As far as I know they are a direct swap. The only real difference in the version II M05 is the A-parts and the one piece lower arms (L-parts). Along with more battery options the V2 A parts allow for lo-pro servos to be better utilized.

• Thanks 1

THANK YOU!! 👌 I had a feeling, and studied both Manuals. They SEEMED to attach in all the same places... I overlayed the V1 and V2 A Parts on top of each other and they seemed to be the same dimensions. 

But I never like to assume! 😲  They're only about $4.00 more than the V1 parts, and I've been cramming in the smallest soft pack Lipos I can get in the Oval Hole...

I CAN get a decent sized one in there.

IMG_20200802_163559.jpg

2700 MAh 3S!! I did have to "trim" the end cap though...

• Like 1

I know when changing the M05 over to the M05 II spec, the A parts, arms, and motor mount are the differences, but not sure if you need the new mount for the new chassis parts. All I know is the motor sits 3mm back with the new mount.

I have the standard chassis like you. I have round case LiPos and have trimmed my end cap like yours 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is the motor mount the aluminum one that comes with the ver 2 pro and race kits?

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 10:58 PM, berman said:

I know when changing the M05 over to the M05 II spec, the A parts, arms, and motor mount are the differences, but not sure if you need the new mount for the new chassis parts. All I know is the motor sits 3mm back with the new mount.

I have the standard chassis like you. I have round case LiPos and have trimmed my end cap like yours 👍

Thanks! 💯👍👍

I've been studying the Manuals again... Do I NEED the M05 II Front Arms? I do realise they are FRP, and one piece... But if I can't get them right away, will type I work? 

And the Motor Mount... I thought the only difference was that leg that stuck up, to fit those Barrel Heat Sinks to. If it sits 3mm BACK, do I need different Gearsets?? Or are they adjusted for in the type II A Parts? Mine's the standard Plastic... It SHOULD be changed anyway.

I can SEE the necessity and advantage of the revised Motor Mount and extra Heatsinks... I clipped on the Heatsink from my TT-02, and it still gets HOT!  It fits neatly, but very tight.

Now I wonder, Since I can already fit a few 2S and 3S Lipo Batteries in this case already....

Could I fit type II Arms, front and rear, and the type II Motor Mount, to my current Chassis?  Especially the Aluminium Motor Mount, since it DOES provide better cooling. 

I still haven't finished mine yet... but I'm close! So I've got no Drive time on her, and am not sure of the issues I'll have to address first.

IMG_20200811_190303.jpg

If you replace the front chassis for the V2 chassis with the square hole, you ALSO need to replace the rear chassis parts. They are similar but not identical and don't fit together.

The M-05 V1 alloy motor mount will not fit the V2. The plastic mount fits both cars.

You don't need the V2 arms, the V1 arms still fit.

There are some differences in screws for the servo mounting between the two versions of the chassis, not a big issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sosidge said:

If you replace the front chassis for the V2 chassis with the square hole, you ALSO need to replace the rear chassis parts. They are similar but not identical and don't fit together.

Well... The Rear parts aren't that expensive either. 😉

The M-05 V1 alloy motor mount will not fit the V2. The plastic mount fits both cars.

WILL the V2 Alloy Mount fit V1??

You don't need the V2 arms, the V1 arms still fit.

I'll eventually want them anyway - they're BETTER! Good to know I can use them for a while.

There are some differences in screws for the servo mounting between the two versions of the chassis, not a big issue.

Does that mean that the Servo sits lower in the V2 - or that I won't use the Adapter that Tamiya put in as an updated part? 

None of this is a big issue. Far from my first Rodeo! 😉  I just have less working experience with the M Chassis Cars. I thank you for the invaluable information!! 👍👍

Tamiya say that the V2 alloy mount works with the V1. If you have a low profile servo you can mount it lower in the V2, if you use a standard servo you need to use some spacers (included with the chassis parts) and longer screws (not included).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sosidge said:

Tamiya say that the V2 alloy mount works with the V1. If you have a low profile servo you can mount it lower in the V2, if you use a standard servo you need to use some spacers (included with the chassis parts) and longer screws (not included).

That kinda works out then! My V1 came with, in separate bag, spacers and 18mm Screws.

I WANT the V2 Alloy Mount, for better heat dissipation. Thanks!! 🍻

It looks like the v2 chassis parts comes with the main rear chassis section carcass, which are the other parts that don't fit?

I looked at changing mine to v2 also, so wasn't aware I needed other bits.

I might still do it, but I have round case LiPos as well, so not detrimental.

• Like 1

@berman I was wondering that myself... The Rear Upper and Lower bits are part of the V2 A Parts Tree.

Is something else needed? For the most part, this really seems like an easy and economical conversion. 😉

No, you only need the chassis parts. Maybe some longer screws for the servo as mentioned above. And be aware that the V1 alloy motor mount won't fit. It's a simple conversion. There are still compromises when fitting a square pack (you have to tape it in), so I'm not 100% convinced its worth doing unless you really want to run a square pack. And some shells might rub on the back of the V2 chassis (it's longer for the droop screws)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, sosidge said:

No, you only need the chassis parts. Maybe some longer screws for the servo as mentioned above. And be aware that the V1 alloy motor mount won't fit. It's a simple conversion. There are still compromises when fitting a square pack (you have to tape it in), so I'm not 100% convinced its worth doing unless you really want to run a square pack. And some shells might rub on the back of the V2 chassis (it's longer for the droop screws)

Thanks!!  I'd want to use the V2 Alloy Mount anyway, to take advantage of more cooling.  I saw in the V2 Manual, that the Battery was TAPED in... NO F'in way! 😖😲  I've got plenty of Velcro Straps. 

And because mine will be an On/Off Road (NOT deluding that it could take any terrain!), I'll just use the V1 Pins, without the Droop extensions that are screwed onto the Arms.

I really appreciate all the input! For a semi-basher, this conversion is looking better all the time.