Sign in to follow this  
Saito2

Terra Scorcher suspension stops

I'm gradually and very stupidly considering a Terra Scorcher re-re as another runner in my fleet. I need another 4wd runner buggy like an extra hole in my head to go with my four Hot Shot series runners, plus an Optima and a Top Force (still waiting for spares to run my Egress and the Avante's coming back too...ugh, rabbit hole). I've been looking over my shelf queen Thundershot and TS at possible design issues and subtle upgrades. An A5 upgrade is a no-brainer and I'd probably replace the screw pins in the suspension with shafts. Would it be beneficial to remove the suspension stops molded into the control arms? It seems to me the force of the arms hitting those stops would be transferred into the arm mounts molded into the gear box casings. The arm mounts don't look all that beefy either. I figure the shock itself should provide adequate travel limiting (even if I need to adjust its length to match the factory down travel position originally provided by the stops). Thoughts?

If you are using this for a back yard runner, I don't think it's needed. I'm running my re-built vintage TS as is with out issue, to include the stock A5.  

If the stops are removed them won't the arms drop lower and subsequently the drive shaft would run and potentially chip the drive cups?

Don't overthink it, stock out of the box the setup is great with most motor setups

8 hours ago, taffer said:

If the stops are removed them won't the arms drop lower and subsequently the drive shaft would run and potentially chip the drive cups?

Yes, which is why:

On 8/13/2020 at 6:30 PM, Saito2 said:

I figure the shock itself should provide adequate travel limiting (even if I need to adjust its length to match the factory down travel position originally provided by the stops).

I would internally limit the shocks' length to match the down travel limit provided normally by the stops as to not over-extend the arm and damage the drive cups. I guess my thinking was the impact of the arm hitting the stops would more readily transfer those forces into the arm mount, whereas, if the shock was the travel limiter, those forces would be more or less contained within it instead. Yes, I'm overthinking it.;)

• Like 1