Danbrown96

Speed passion brushless motor

Hiya guys

So wondering if any of you guys have tried out these motors? Noticed they have a range of sizes available and are at a good price. I like the sound of a 10.5t as it’ll be used in my Tt02b and I don’t want nothing to crazy 💨 also I have a tble-02 which I think 10.5t is the limit anyway? 🤔 

Thanks in advance 

Dan

C26E397B-BA25-4BA4-A50F-F15C5033B056.png

Been using them for years. Not the latest technology and thus not as fast as a brand new top-of-the-line race motor, but very reliable and easy to install thanks to the rear-mounted connections and integral bullets.

10.5t is pushing the TBLE-02 unless you fit a cooling fan. 13.5t gives a bit more headroom.

• Like 1

Not a 10.5t, but running a 5.5t in my Optima Mid, and managed a 2nd in the A final with a 6.5t in my truck (running a 10bl120 esc )

Not bad, better than the cheap ones ,but not as good as the top end motors. Better than a mid range motor at a below mid range price 👍

They are great, but if you are running lipo you will definitely cook at tble02s with that motor. I have been struggling running a 13.5 version in a thunder dragon with a tble02s. Runs no problem in a 2wd, but 4wd seems to tip it over its limit. You'll be fine on nimh

It won't cook. But I defo won't like it after a while.

I ran a 10.5t and a 13.5t on my TBLE02 for a while before swapping back to brushed.

I'd buy speed passion any day of the week if I wanted to. I think they are excellent products.

I love the speed passion motors! Love the performance, though it's correct what they say above it's not cutting edge it's perfect for Tamiya cars. 

The bullet connections are the nicest of any motor and I'd buy them just for that. 

I have a 8.5t a 10.5t and a 13.5t. The 13.5t runs happily on a TBLE-02s on 2s. 

Thanks for all the replies, is it worth upgrading the esc aswell then so it’ll handle more? Or is it worth spending a bit extra and get a combo set? 

24 minutes ago, Danbrown96 said:

is it worth upgrading the esc aswell then so it’ll handle more?

Personally, Yes. 

I love these esc's, with 120a it'll run down to a 3.5t -2s /8.5t -3s and is programmable (punch, Lipo cut off voltage and even some basic motor timing). There is a 60a version that's a a fiver cheaper.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-quicrun-10bl120-sensored/rc-car-products/425021

28 minutes ago, Danbrown96 said:

is it worth spending a bit extra and get a combo set? 

No, 

Modelsport will solder it up for you, if you order the speed passion motor too, effectively turning into a combo.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Danbrown96 said:

Thanks for all the replies, is it worth upgrading the esc aswell then so it’ll handle more? Or is it worth spending a bit extra and get a combo set? 

What combo are you looking at? There are some cheap sensorless combos for similar money which most people seem to rate highly, like GoolRC. I haven't tried them as I have always gone for sensored. The cheapest sensored combo I know of is the Trackstar 80a Turbo ESC and motor which are around USD75 from Hobbyking (when in stock). They go really well, I ran them in race buggies for a couple of seasons. They are similar to Speed Passion ij that they arent the fastest around as they are old models now, but great for a TT02B

I would buy that Speed Passion motor (maybe 13.5T to give the TBLE-02S a chance?) and the biggest pinion you can fit. Try it. If the ESC can't handle it then get a HW 10BL120 which are about the same price as that motor and will handle anything ypu throw at it.  Or a SkyRC TS120 which has similar specs

46 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Personally, Yes. 

I love these esc's, with 120a it'll run down to a 3.5t -2s /8.5t -3s and is programmable (punch, Lipo cut off voltage and even some basic motor timing). There is a 60a version that's a a fiver cheaper.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-quicrun-10bl120-sensored/rc-car-products/425021

No, 

Modelsport will solder it up for you, if you order the speed passion motor too, effectively turning into a combo.

That’ll be a good move, I suppose at least I could run a load of different set ups. Maybe look at getting a lower turn motor and doing a switch to lipo 😜 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

What combo are you looking at? There are some cheap sensorless combos for similar money which most people seem to rate highly, like GoolRC. I haven't tried them as I have always gone for sensored. The cheapest sensored combo I know of is the Trackstar 80a Turbo ESC and motor which are around USD75 from Hobbyking (when in stock). They go really well, I ran them in race buggies for a couple of seasons. They are similar to Speed Passion ij that they arent the fastest around as they are old models now, but great for a TT02B

I would buy that Speed Passion motor (maybe 13.5T to give the TBLE-02S a chance?) and the biggest pinion you can fit. Try it. If the ESC can't handle it then get a HW 10BL120 which are about the same price as that motor and will handle anything ypu throw at it.  Or a SkyRC TS120 which has similar specs

So my dad has an absima brushless combo set up Which is seems to be a really good, i have seen the grool rc motors and for the money they seem really good so I was thinking of putting one in to my tt01 for a bit of fun, so what is the difference between sensored and sensor less? Seems to be though the esc which is holding it back soo will definitely look at changing the esc in the near future 😝

22 minutes ago, Danbrown96 said:

I suppose at least I could run a load of different set ups.

The beauty of the speed passion motors, is the motor bullets. You can just swap the motor ,for another speed passion motor, and plug them in. So if yu did go for a 10.5t, then wanted a bit more go, bosh in a 6.5t, plug in the motor connections ,and away you go.

15 minutes ago, Danbrown96 said:

what is the difference between sensored and sensor less?

Sensorless use a backfeed from a none used motor wire to the esc ,to guesstimate the armatures position, to fire/energise the next coil, to make the motor turn in the right direction and speed.This means it can suffer from 'cogging' where the motor struggles to find it's position for a split second, and also the motors RPM is donated by the volts, and why sensorless are rated in 'KV'. Cheap ,and do the job for most.

Sensored run a position sensor at the back of the motor, and a cable then to the esc. So the esc knows exactly which position the armature is in, so fire the coils bang on time, they are more crisp and don't suffer from cogging. Knowing the position also means you can accurately alter the motor timing as rpm increases (like the Vtec system in 1:1 engine), although the cheaper Esc's, like the 10bl60 /120, only have a basic timing advance, the better esc's allow you to ramp up the timing at certain programmed rates ,and you can almost double the motors, zero timed KV, which is why sensored motors are rated in, Turns. More expensive, but so much more versatile.

• Like 3

Great bit of info that, I now understand the cogging as my dads does it (his is sensorless) I’ll definitely be keeping my eyes out for a sensored motor then.

Well thank you every one as this post has answered my question to the fact of speed passion motors are good motors for the price 🥳

one last question though, how would a 10.5t motor compare to the likes of a Tamiya sport tuned as that’s what I’m running atm 😂 will it be noticeable faster? Or is it worth going for a lower turn motor? (Only running into nihm atm)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Danbrown96 said:

how would a 10.5t motor compare to the likes of a Tamiya sport tuned as that’s what I’m running atm 😂 will it be noticeable faster?

Looking at available info, the sport tuned is 18300rpm with 7.2v supply = 18300/7.2= 2541kv .

The speed passion 10.5t ,zero timed,  are looking to be 3800kv, so a good bit quicker, but being brushless and more efficient, it'll have a load more torque, if a nimh can supply the amps , so it'll be more punchy.

4 hours ago, Danbrown96 said:

Or is it worth going for a lower turn motor? (Only running into nihm atm)

If you get the 10bl120, you can start with a 10.5t, and then look for a lower turn 2nd hand motor ,or look out for offers etc. 

You'll get alot more from switching to Lipo Tbh, 2s will give you a significant power increase on a 10 5t, then maybe jump to 3s for more speed/power, although I'm not sure how happy the speed passion are running on 3s (think they're only rated to 2s, unless someone has successfully ran them on 3s?)

I have a 10.5t speed passion in my egress. Speed wise it's up there with my high quality vintage modified brushed motors , even when running 14 turn etc in my procat. (They are all rebuilt with new brushes, bearings and freshly zapped magnets so not weak motors!)

A 10.5t should humiliate a sport tuned.

• Haha 1

On 8/15/2020 at 3:02 PM, Wooders28 said:

Looking at available info, the sport tuned is 18300rpm with 7.2v supply = 18300/7.2= 2541kv .

The speed passion 10.5t ,zero timed,  are looking to be 3800kv, so a good bit quicker, but being brushless and more efficient, it'll have a load more torque, if a nimh can supply the amps , so it'll be more punchy.

If you get the 10bl120, you can start with a 10.5t, and then look for a lower turn 2nd hand motor ,or look out for offers etc. 

You'll get alot more from switching to Lipo Tbh, 2s will give you a significant power increase on a 10 5t, then maybe jump to 3s for more speed/power, although I'm not sure how happy the speed passion are running on 3s (think they're only rated to 2s, unless someone has successfully ran them on 3s?)

Sounds like a good improvement to a sports tune so deffo an investment 💨 so with the esc do you have to pay extra to have the deans connectors on it or does it come with all the necessary wires/connectors?

On 8/15/2020 at 3:48 PM, graemevw said:

I have a 10.5t speed passion in my egress. Speed wise it's up there with my high quality vintage modified brushed motors , even when running 14 turn etc in my procat. (They are all rebuilt with new brushes, bearings and freshly zapped magnets so not weak motors!)

A 10.5t should humiliate a sport tuned.

This is what I want to hear 😜 does the adjustable timing make any difference? But I think I need to make a purchase 😂

11 hours ago, Danbrown96 said:

so with the esc do you have to pay extra to have the deans connectors on it or does it come with all the necessary wires/connectors?

The esc will come with wires, but no connections.

I think it's a fiver for Modelsport to supply and fit a deans, not sure about the price to solder the motor wires, as the bullet connectors are supplied with the speed passion motor.

I know it is a old thread,  but what is stopping a brushless motor from running on 3s.  Could a Speed Passion 6.5T motor run on 3s ?

2 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

I know it is a old thread,  but what is stopping a brushless motor from running on 3s.  Could a Speed Passion 6.5T motor run on 3s ?

Plenty of brushless motors run on 3S. I have ones that run on 8s. However a 6.5t is quite a high KV, so on 3S it will probably rev too high. A 6.5T is around 6400kv, a fully charged 3S would spin this around 75000rpm….. And most 6.5Ts arent built for that. Ideally you want 3500kv and below for 3S running. For more speed usimg more voltage, ideally youd want a lower KV and gear up to take advantage of a lower kv motor’s higher torque. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kpowell911 said:

Plenty of brushless motors run on 3S. I have ones that run on 8s. However a 6.5t is quite a high KV, so on 3S it will probably rev too high. A 6.5T is around 6400kv, a fully charged 3S would spin this around 75000rpm….. And most 6.5Ts arent built for that. Ideally you want 3500kv and below for 3S running. For more speed usimg more voltage, ideally youd want a lower KV and gear up to take advantage of a lower kv motor’s higher torque. 

This sounds pretty much like it!

In your opinion if I go on motor gearing with 1:1 I have a 72T spur and 71T pinion on a 3800kv motor, the LRP Vector x11 10,5T .  with internal ratio 2.6 so a total FDR of 3.61 in this case. I believe 3800 is too high, I might rather use something like 1800-2500kv up to 4s in this case, maybe. In the meaning of speed runs.

9 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

This sounds pretty much like it!

In your opinion if I go on motor gearing with 1:1 I have a 72T spur and 71T pinion on a 3800kv motor, the LRP Vector x11 10,5T .  with internal ratio 2.6 so a total FDR of 3.61 in this case. I believe 3800 is too high, I might rather use something like 1800-2500kv up to 4s in this case, maybe. In the meaning of speed runs.

Im not the guy to speak to regarding speed runs, depends on the vehicle etc. a 1:1 gear ratio with such a high kv motor seems like its only going to end in flames. The only time Ive ran close to a 1:1 spur/pinion ratio was 30/35 in an X Maxx, but that had a 780kv motor

• Thanks 1