Sign in to follow this  
markbt73

I'm back (kinda-sorta)

Hey all,

Been away for a few months, hope everyone here is doing well.

So basically what happened is, three things happened in the same week. First, my Flickr account was hacked, and after trying to get answers from Yahoo customer service, I just lost all faith in them and deleted my account. Second, I had a trade deal go badly wrong on another site, and that sort of soured me on forums in general. And right on the tail of that, I had to (again!) sift through a bunch of spam comments on my old blog, so I got upset and took that down too.

But I really miss the community here. I like talking with like-minded nerds about little toy cars. But I do think I'm done with build threads and day-to-day "what I'm working on" type chronicles. I have found I enjoy the process of working on hobby stuff more without an audience. So you can expect to see me chiming in here and there on the more philosophical discussions, and as always, I'm happy to give advice. (Sometimes whether it's solicited or not...) Still working on a photo hosting solution, so don't expect much in the way of pictures for now.

I have been doing a lot of thinking, and some writing, and I really think there might be a book in all of it. About the nature of hobbies in general, things I've learned over the years from my participation in my hobbies, why they're still important to me now, and likely will be even more so in the future. It will touch on RC cars and plastic models, and "big" cars, but not really be about any one hobby. And that's another reason to have taken down the blogs; there are some ideas in there I want to incorporate, and it's probably better if I keep everything in one place until I see how this all comes together.

Oh, I do have to tell you all about some of my recent purchases. I've scored three 1/8 scale Monogram kits in the last couple of months (an '82 Z28 Camaro, an '85 IROC Camaro, and a Jaguar E-type) for very cheap. The Jag is NIB and just about perfect, the '82 Camaro was NIB, but had been in a flood. The box was completely destroyed, but the kit is perfect except for the decals. The '85 Camaro was started, badly, and is not in great shape (but salvageable), and I think it will get converted ro RC eventually.

And just today, I won an eBay auction for a basket-case Kyosho Progress. I've always wanted one. Can't wait to dig into it!

(And yes, that was my old Chevy truck on Jalopnik...)

• Like 9

Welcome back and know what you mean. I had my first sour deal recently on a guy that properly scanked me (not on TC by the way, always had good deals on Tamiyaclub). 

first time in 18 years of being back into Tamiyas. Really lost my mojo (and trust)  after that but somehow I keep coming back here and dipping in (less elsewhere for that reason)

I personally think the community here is first class and worth keeping in touch with. 

You seem to be an old time member, so welcome back! Always good to have more experienced active members :)

• Like 2