wonko

Convert Audi Quattro Ralley A2 to Rally?

A little bit of background:  I had a Grasshopper way back in the 80s as a kid.  The car I always wanted was the Audi Quattro because I thought it looked cool and I really enjoyed watching rally racing.

Well, a buddy convinced me to get back into this hobby, so of course the first thing I buy is the Audi.  I was a little surprised to find it's an on-road.

I'd like to convert it to a rally car, but I am so new to this, I'm not sure what that even means or where to begin.  I know the TT-02 chassis is very flexible, and from what I understand, the Type S is an improvement.

I read @Prescient's excellent topic below - 

So, if I have the TT-02, it looks like I need to 'upgrade' it to the TT-02 S:

• FRP suspension arms (51297)
  • FRP axle uprights (51293 / 51352 )
  • FRP suspension mounts (14305646 / 14305647)
  • Metal 12mm hex wheel adapters (53056)
  • Super Mini CVA  Shocks (50746)
  • full ball bearings
  • adjustable threaded turnbuckles and steering arms
  • steel suspension mounts (54634)
  • For the TT-02D Type S variant, the Tamiya aluminium propeller shaft (54501) and propeller joints (54502)

I can only find the TT-02 Type S chassis (58600) on Tamiya's website at a whopping $256.  Sold separately at rcmart.com, unless otherwise stated:

• FRP suspension arms (51297) - $4.90
  • FRP axle uprights (51293 / 51352 ) - $3.20/$7.99 (51352 on eBay)
  • FRP suspension mounts (14305646 / 14305647) - Unable to find
  • Metal 12mm hex wheel adapters (53056) - $4.50
  • Super Mini CVA  Shocks (50746) - $10.90
  • full ball bearings - $7.90 (although I bought rubber sealed bearings from Fast Eddy @ $15.99)
  • adjustable threaded turnbuckles and steering arms ($17.24) - Amazon
  • steel suspension mounts (54634) - $24.50
  • For the TT-02D Type S variant, the Tamiya aluminum propeller shaft (54501) and propeller joints (54502) $4.50/$5.40

So, the total for the upgrade is $81.54 plus $30.21 shipping (shipping on the Tamiya kit is free, at the moment).

The FRP suspension mounts aren't available anymore, it seems.  So, I've looked at the steel set - 54634 @ $24.50.

Does this sound about right?

• Like 1

It does but for that money could you get an xv01 where you are? As you would still need the audi body parts set and the xv01 with its enclosed chassis is much more suitable for rallying out the box and comes with oil dampers.

• Like 1

@Superluminal- Thanks for the response.

Well , the XV-01 chassis alone is hard to find (except for on eBay for stupid prices).  I can get the Lancia Delta Integrale XV-01 4WD Kit (TAM58569) for about $250.

Maybe get that for rally and get a different body for the TT-02 and use it as a on-road only?

There are SO many more options now; it's hard to figure them all out.

• Like 1

See that would make more sense to me - if the xv01 is about the same cost as the tt02 type-s kit then i would probably get the xv01 as you woudnt then need to make the changes required to make a type-s rally ready or any of the upgrades to make a tt02 into a type-s which will still be a touring car at heart and then need adjusting to increase ride height / suspension travel etc.

There are threads on here where people have cut bits away from the suspension arms and tweaked them to run longer shocks and higher ride heights etc but it seems a lot of work to me when the xv01 is designed to be a rally chassis and doesnt need a lot of upgrades (if any - pretty sure mine even came with bearings)

• Like 2

I'll totally look into the XV-01.

Glad I got back into this hobby...you know, I really needed something else on which to spend a ton of money.  LOL

• Like 1

Exactly - its basically wasted everywhere else.

Might as well buy an xv01 and the type-s too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well... I was only going to tell my therapist this, but I did buy the Lancia XV-01.  (sigh)

• Like 3

Love it!!!!!!

Now you just need the type-s kit and an audi quattro body parts set. Might as well get something like the mercedes clk gtr body parts set while you at it too and some more hop ups for the tt02 like the alloy steering kit, prop shaft and motor mounts so you can be running a bad@ss touring car as well as a bad@ss rally car.

Then we can get some other guys in here to talk about some buggies and trucks you can buy too.

Thank me later.

Holy crap.  You're like a drug dealer.  LOL

I don't need the Audi Quattro body kit.  I had already bought the full TT02 kit.  See?  Is there a 12-step program for this?