nicherotors

REWARD - Please help me with logging in

I appreciate the login credentials are different between the main site and the forums.

I can log into the forums without a problem.

A new computer, no cookies and an aging memory meant I had to reset my password for the main site.  Over the last few weeks that I have been trying I sometimes do and sometimes don't get the email with reset instructions.  When I do the random looking code never works for me.  It never works for me on IE, Safari nor Edge.

I've attempted to make contact several times over the last few weeks with no response but have counted lots of traffic lights, fire hydrants etc trying to prove i'm not a robot.

Posting here is my last resort - to anyone who shows me the error of my ways I'm happy to pay for a one-year subscription to tamiyaclub; over the last few weeks I've completed a number of models and want to update my showroom but can't.

PS I have a computer science degree so am feeling especially stupid and frustrated at the moment

Many thanks in advance.

I just reset your password. You should get an email. Copy and paste the link into the browser (Rather than clicking it) Tell me what happens

Chris

Chris, thank you so much offering to help.

Sadly, when I click on the link and use the temporary password I get 'That email/password combination is not valid. Please use the password reset service to validate your email.'

What I find curious is that when I copy and paste the same link in different browsers I am presented with a different code each time to type in so am not sure if the server knows exactly what code to expect.  Either way, I get the same message as above in different browsers.

Just checking - it asks for my email address and that is what I'm using (not forum username)?

yes - email and password. Please can you go through the reset process again. I've added some extra debugging around your account.

Once you've seen the password shown on screen after clicking the link for the first time, then you CANNOT click the link in the mail (or copy and paste it)  a second time - we'll you can it just will never work, as its a one-use link, so you have to make sure you make a note of the password when its first displayed. 

Can you try again now please. Start with reseting the password (only need do it in one browser)

Nope - I've just invoked the reset password process on IE and then again on Chrome - each time I'm presented with the same error message.

I know you are trying to help but please can you stop testing in multiple browsers everytime, it makes it much harder for me sifting through the log files. (Its not a browser issue) so just stick to chrome.

Each time I ask you to test it is because I have added more logging code, so apologies if it feels like I keep asking for the same thing.

Please try again and confirm each one of these steps (once)

1. enter email and press reset button.

2. Confirm email arrives and click on link in it.

3. Confirm it shows you the password on the screen that appears. (and paste text of message that appears underneath it)

4. Copy new displayed password and paste it into the password box

5. Enter your email in the email box

6 press login

7. Confirm what you now see on screen and copy and paste URL of page here.

About four hours ago (14:51) I hit the reset button but still no email in either inbox or junk folder!  Historically the email would arrive within seconds.

Tried again at 5:45 today.

Arrived within seconds.

3. Confirm it shows you the password on the screen that appears. (and paste text of message that appears underneath it)

Confirmed.

Completed.

Completed.

6 press login

Completed.

"That email/password combination is not valid. Please use the password reset service to validate your email."

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/login.asp?en=1

Login.jpg

Mmmm. The problem I have is that I can see people logging in and I can see people successfully reseting their passwords ok, it just something about you flow seems to not be working for some reason. More logging added. Please try again, and let me know the time - thats was really useful.

Really appreciate you persevering with the issue.

I have just requested a password reset at 17:15 but have not yet received the email.  Will request again in a few hours if the email hasn't arrived by then.

Thur 1.jpg

here is the first part of the problem. We are sending emails out but your hotmail account is occasionally blocking them. (Occasionally being the key word)

"The hotmail.com server blocked this message from being delivered. The recipient should contact their mail provider and ask for the domain to be unblocked"

I just saw you try again - it looks like this time your email provider let the emails through :)

From what it looks like the process is running 'ok' but it appears you might be shown two different passwords? The first gets recorded against you account but then you try and logon using the second, which obviously fails. At the moment I've got no idea why or how this could happen, short of some sort of page refresh happening for you for some reason. I'll continue to investigate but let me know if any of that rings any bells.

I tried again withe the reset process and got lucky (in a way) and received the reset email in my hotmail inbox (very happy to change that when I get in) - really appreciate the assistance but sadly no joy - hopefully the extra logging will help with the diagnosis.

Completed.

Confirmed (9:28).

Confirmed (9:28).

Completed.

Completed.

6 press login

Completed.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/login.asp?en=1

Fri 1.jpg

Fri 2.jpg

Fri 3.jpg

How curious - clearly I'm doing this just in Chrome - do you think an alternative browser might make a difference?  Or could I have some silly setting inadvertently set my end??  Although it is a new installation of Chrome.

Not sure - think we are getting close though. I can see from what you have posted here that that is indeeed the second password, which is effectively useless as your password has already been reset to the first one, which for some reason you are not seeing for some reason. Leave it with me.

ok more info. I can see that the actual 'reset password' option fired twice (at the moment the only way I can see this happened is by clicking the button twice), within the same minute and one of the messages got delivered but hotmail blocked the other - that could lead to things getting out of sync, possibly. I need to run some more tests.

@nicherotors at the moment, I'm out of ideas. The tracking I've put in place shows me that people are resetting passwords and then logging in ok. There are several every day using a variety of browsers and OS's. I can't think of what other logging to add that would give me more clues at the moment. Not saying you are doing anything out of the ordinary or wrong just can't think what it could be. Try the password reset again and I will give it another shot of trying to work out what the issue is

I saw your password reset fire off and the email has been sent. If you have not got it already then that is the separate issue that your provider is blocking our emails which I can't do anything about

oh dear - after gingerly hitting the reset button once I'm yet to receive an email in my inbox/ junk folder - grr

... and yet the emails alerting me to the fact that these posts are hitting the forum get through just fine - just not the first password reset email

its being blocked by your provider before it even gets to you. I get the feeling in the past you may have hit the button again, but then have got the original email which is now out of date.

the emails from the forum and the main site are sent by different servers, which allows me to keep costs down.