Sign in to follow this  
BuggyGuy

Building a TT02B for astro, advice needed!

I've been working on TT02B build for a few weeks, and other than a few bits which are still winging their way in tiny boxes from Asia - I'm getting to the point where I'm ready to see what happens when it gets put on a track!

However - there are a few more things I think the car could do with;

- Anti roll / stabiliser bar options - can DT02 bars fit? How the best way to make the wishbone link attachment? Are there other stabiliser bar kits from Tamiya I could more easily adapt?

- A slipper clutch ideally - Anyone tried? I've seen one post on a forum saying this is possible on TT02 and they'd seen it on a Japanese site. I cannot find anything online, but it doesn't look impossible, are there other shaft drive kits out there with a clutch that could be adapted does anyone think? The TB05 (assuming there's a hopup clutch for that?) and others have a similar shaft drive layout with same motor orientation/position - not a lot of space to work with here in a TT02 though I'll admit.

Few more questions for any TT02B owners if anyone has the answers.... :)

1. Alloy hub upgrades: GPM/Fastrax/Tamiya/Yeah Racing all appear to sell them, these parts appear to have slightly different geometry and mounting holes, has anyone compared the various parts? I think the Yeah Racing and Fastrax parts look like they came off the same tooling, the GPM parts are cheap but typically don't have multiple mounting holes for moving turnbuckle links around etc.

2. Tamiya only appear to do alloy rear hubs - not front options? Anyone got any nuggets of wisdom here for other Tamiya parts that may fit? Or C hubs with different geometry (that wont drop the ride height).

All I'm looking for here really from the first two questions is a nice way of opening up some additional tuning options - e.g rear antisquat and toe-in cant be altered for example presently, and some more options up front would be nice as well when setting up for different tracks (mounting holes / caster).

3. Has anyone tried the carbon top deck and chassis brace from Fiberlyte on the TT02B - what do you think? Worth it if you have the TT02 hardened chassis? or only if you have the stock one?

Many thanks all :)

1. Yeah Racing and Fastrax parts may look very similar in some cases, but the quality is very different. Yeah Racing typically choose a higher grade of alloy, the finish is nicer, the fit is more precise and they are all round just better, being a manufacturer in their own right. Fastrax is a CML Distribution brand typically attached to whatever Chinese tat they can source cheaply. I would put them in the same category as Jazrider and Integy in terms of dodginess. GPM is somewhere in the middle - the machining and finish isn't as good as Yeah Racing, but there is nothing wrong with the grade of alloy they use.

2. The DF-02 uses the same hub parts, so if TT-02B upgrades are hard to find, you might search for DF-02 ones which are a direct fit.

3. I have tried the top deck, and it doesn't fit. The spur gear cover on the TT-02B is bigger than the one on the standard TT-02, and doesn't fit in the opening on the Fibre Lyte top deck. You can space it upwards in which case it raises the body posts so your shell doesn't fit right, or you can swap out the spur gear cover for a standard TT-02 one in which case you also need a smaller spur gear, or you can grind away part of it in which case it is weakened somewhat and you are at risk from the dust and splinters. None are ideal solutions. Ideally someone with the requisite skills would redesign it with a wider opening for the TT-02B spur gear cover.

As for the chassis brace, that fits fine if you have already upgraded to an alloy propshaft, but the fatter stock plastic one binds against it.

Thanks for the response @TurnipJF - saved me a few quid on the top deck purchase as that sounds less than ideal. 

Interesting the Df02 hubs will fit - many thanks! 

If you know what mods are needed to get the Fibrelyte top deck to fit the buggy, it's worth getting in contact with them and asking if they can alter it for you. They changed an RC10 shock tower for me from their stock version. 

Not having a lot of luck getting the TT02B race ready - the GPM steel gears I've used don't run true sadly and one of the yeah racing UJs I've fitted has a spot that's binding - so out of action until I figure out what to do next (the drive shaft at least should be easy to sort). 

Still quite fancy a DF03... 

Hi.

Just a quick question  - do you already race and are doing this as a technical exercise to see what's possible, or is this a first foray into competitive rc racing? 

3 hours ago, Silver-Can said:

Hi.

Just a quick question  - do you already race and are doing this as a technical exercise to see what's possible, or is this a first foray into competitive rc racing? 

Already race - don't intend to run a Tamiya 4WD buggy as main car, just want something that's not completely disgraceful on a modern high grip track (with bits that aren't super rare and expensive if possible!) 

44 minutes ago, BuggyGuy said:

Already race - don't intend to run a Tamiya 4WD buggy as main car, just want something that's not completely disgraceful on a modern high grip track (with bits that aren't super rare and expensive if possible!) 

Gotchya. I was just thinking if you were new to the race scene then maybe 4wd tamiya is probably not...ideal 🙂. But if you already race then you'll know the craic. 

Good luck with the project. 👍